Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

I love the “race more part” 🤣 doing the same this year (at least so far I have planned the most races to date yet). Xc next Sunday is still open to register 😁. Would love to meet you there.

other than that, always happy to switch it up and go for an easy jog in the park. I get the whole turning down part as even easy runs have a certain pace. So grateful that my new/old coach goes more by “better slower than too fast but see how it feels”. More freedom to meet up for easy long runs as no pace is really too slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Interesting thoughts, A. Do you think the decision would have been different if things had gone better at Raheny? It seems you've been thinking for a while about a change, but what if Trim turns out to be a great performance. Will you feel any different?

Either way it seems you've taken quite a bit from the latest coaching arrangement so it al adds to the knowledge base. Good luck with the next phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Thanks Lads - Marc - I'll defo take you up on an offer to run in the future - but maybe a session, it'll be like an easy run to you :)

Murph - I seen this post on Sunday morning, prior to the race, and it was one of those things I've thought about a lot. "What if....."

One of the things I thought about after Raheny was that if I ran poorly in Trim - then it would be seen as a reaction to the coaching. So I wanted to hit that nail early and do it prior to Trim. Whatever the result in Trim, good, bad or indifferent - I knew I was going to be self coached going fwd.

Monday 30th: A nice recovery trek on the trails in the PP - haven't done that is quite a while. Gorgeous!!

5.4m / 8.35 pace

Tuesday 31st: I had a running date today :)

A few miles around Porterstown park - great chats.

5.8m / 8.30 pace

Wed 1st: Rest day

Thur 2nd Feb: A pre race workout of my own design. 200m/300m at 3k pace - 4x800 at 10m race pace - 200m/300m at 3k.

Rational for the workout was to run some faster efforts prior to and after the 'meat' - the legs needed reminding of some work as this was an 'in between' week while also needing some race pace work to keep the muscle tension in place.

The longer strides afterwards were for a similar reason - turnover, muscle tension but mostly psychology. The 2nd 200/300 would feel easier than the 1st set.

The workout went well - but the 10mile pace felt like 5k effort - far too tough even with a 2min recovery.

And yes - the 2nd 200/300 felt better than the 1st :)

8 mile (great song btw)

Friday 3rd: Easy miles around Porterstown Park - I had a strange feeling in my hamstrings during and after the little pre-race workout - it was still lingering on Friday so rather than a planned rest day - I ran a few short miles to flush out the legs. Felt much better afterwards.

4.3m / 8.20 pace

Sat 4th: Shakeout and strides

3.76 miles.

Sunday 5th Feb: Trim 10 mile

Prior to Raheny, my plan was to give another sub 60 a good crack - I had felt my training was at a stage whereby I could feel confident of going for it again. I had done it in 2020 and not got near those levels since. Perhaps Trim would be the place? Then Raheny happened and kinda knocked my confidence a little - the questions creep in.............

Maybe I'm not doing enough tempos? / Maybe I'm not strong enough? / Maybe the training didn't suit me on longer distances (10k to HM) based on prior results. It led to me deciding not to sweat it - but just go our and see how the 1st few miles went.

Having ran Trim twice previously - I knew the 1st few miles were fast and there was a hill on the 5th mile, around the water stations - so my plan was to run 6.05's initially and see how I felt - a result in and around 61 would be a good return I thought - I had an upper limit on 61:3x :)

I had also decided to wear the AlphaFlys - For no other reason than a placebo, or a different feeling initially. This worked well - especially wearing reeboks on the warmup - the feeling of the AF's was amazing on my strides.

I met a few familiar faces from around here prior to the race - it was good to say hello and catch up.

Met a clubmate (was wearing the green of MSB again) on the warm up and went upto the start line, a much different experience to Raheny. 3 mins before the start and about 7-8 rows back. The start was quite un-inspiring and people started running - didn't hear a gun, whistle or countdown!

Race Start:

The 1st few hundred meters were fantastic - hitting pace, having to slow down, finding the 'line' quite easily - all in all a great start. Even having a bit of banter with some of the crowd around.

We turned left and all was in order - the shoes felt great, breathing in a good place. Much better than last week.

Mile 1: 6.00

As mile 2 progressed, I found that I had to make a decision early on - push on with a group that was forming in front of me or hold. I held.

Ultimately the wrong decision in this case as the race unfolded - but hindsight is wonderful. I found myself isolated quite early in the race - how can that happen!! there were people aboput 20m ahead and people about 20m behind.

As a result - I found my pace dropping to 6:10's and took action to get it back again.

Mile 2: 6.03

The 3rd mile was ok - I felt quite ok, done a systems check, breathing was fine, no demons and the pace felt good. I do recall thinking of some 5m races I've done in the past were I'm moving at 5.45's and thinking that I'm jogging for the 1st 3 miles - it certainly didn't feel that easy - but felt like I could maintain this pace for the duration.

Mile 3: 5.59

Coming to the 4th mile - I can still see the crowd in front and I can still hear the crown behind - still feeling ok as we approached a turn - I can hear the crowd clapping just behind me. While I still felt isolated - there were people just behind me. At that stage I thought about dropping back and joinging a group. But didn't.

Mile 4: 5.59

So - the 5th mile has an incline - I was prepared for this. I'd bled time previously so didn't want to lose too much this year - I was feeling good and thoughts of a sub 60 were forming. Get over the 5th mile in good nick and see how it goes. All was great in the world.

I went through the water station, didn't take any - some people were coming back to me from the group ahead and I was beginning to pass people on the incline. All good.

Mile 5: 6:10

I was quite happy with how I felt on the 5th mile and still had a shout of a good time and with a smidging of luck - a sub60. But I'd need everything going my way.

I knew I had crossed 5 miles in around 30:10 ('ish) and felt a million times better than I had felt at Raheny - but I had noted a slight headwind on this stretch - as I had overtaking some stragglers, I was on my own again. We turned the corner and I expected the 'wind' to die down.

Mile 6: 6.02

We had turned for the 7th mile and by christ - I swear Trim has its own micro climate - the wind was horrible - I immediatley regretted not being in a group or having someone to work with.

I came up to another guy from Dunboyne and passed him - only to hear him on my tail again....and again.....I moved out, he moved with me, I moved in, he moved with me. Obviously a drafter who wasn't going to do any work. His breathing and footstrike were beginning to bother me!

I spotted a runner ahead who looked like Maria McCambridge and indeed it was her - I passed her and she looked in a world of pain. I was also in a world of pain as the demons were shouting at me - the noise of Dunboynes breathing and foot strike were really irking me. The wind was a right b'stard. He stayed with me all the way into the breeze, not once taking a turn to lead.

How can a perfect day for running have such a breeze! All thoughts of a sub 60 were gone as I was really struggling. Not that 'Lactate' treacle feeling I had in Raheny - just a tough run into a headwind. I made a note to myself to run more longer hills in training.

Mile 7: 6.13 / Mile 8 6.20

Just before the end of Mile 8 we turn a corner and the wind eases - I'm running as close to the bushes as I can to avoid any lingering breeze - Dunboyne is still behind me. I'm picking the pace up slightly, but the effort of the past 2 miles into the wind, isolated, has caught up with me.

"Best race on the day" I'm telling myself - my goto mantra when things aren't 100%. I feel my pace dropping off a bit when I hear a noise - its like that scene in Lord of the Rings where the Orcs are killing everyboby and at the top of the hill Gandalf appears............well not quite, but you get my meaning - The noise I hear is of a group of runners, including my MSB buddy Rob - who come on by - Thank Christ! - I latch onto them - there's about 5-6 of them and we start to make headway - things feel a slight bit easier again. The power of running in a group.

Mile 9: 6.08

The start of Mile 10 is an incline and you really think you're going to face this for the next mile - but thankfully its short and I get through it. Theres a small group now as some have pushed on slightly - but I know the end is near, Dunboyne makes a move from behind me and pushes on at a remarkable level - fair play I think before calling him a ****€r - we turn the corner into the industrial estate for what is the longest of finishing straights in the history of finishing straights! I'm pushing hard - I've no idea if I'm on for a sub 61 or a sub 62 - but I'm pushing for the best time I can get. I eventually see the clock and its moving just past 61 mins - Jesus H Christ - its still ages away I'm thinking, before I cross the line.

Delighted to finish, delighted to stop - delighted that I persevered when things got tough - delighted that I gave it my all.

61:09 official - quite happy with that. given mile 7&8 - things couldv'e got a lot worse!

Time: 61.09 / Position: 102 / M50: 7th

Overall feeling: Very happy with pushing on and not giving up - a tough race but enjoyed the battle. As for letting the group go at mile 1.5 - these are decisions I need to be better at into the future - as Murph so eloquently puts it "The instinct, and also the instinct to know when the instinct is wrong"

• Advertisement

Super account, gripping stuff. Left me wanting more so I had to check the results to see who won the Battle of Alan vs Dunboyne. Hopefully he's the runner who finished a few secs behind and not the other fella. I suspect you didn't let him away with it.

Well done, certainly battled through lots of difficulties there and never gave up. Your ability to bite down and latch on to a passing group late on is something I'd love to be able to do.

Gandalf vs the Orcs, love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Super stuff A, well done on an amazing time but more than that, well done on seeing it out when it got tough. I don't think anyone who's a non runner would believe the stuff that goes on in our heads when we are racing. That constant runners dialect that goes from one thought to another so quickly! These races will stand to you, D is 100% right, we won't always have great racing days(in our eyes) but every single race is a step forward to being the best runner we can be!

Sorry I missed you, would have been nice to say hello😊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭ariana`

Super race and I echo @Murph_D the report was gripping. Sub 60 would have given you a real boost I'm sure but it's very heart warming to hear you speak so positively and proudly of your performance - it can be hard to quantify what will give us most satisfaction - it's hard to beat the PB feeling but at the end of the day I don't think anything beats working hard for any result, whether it ends up being a PB or not, that feeling when you've had to grind to stop the demons from winning - you certainly won this one, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Tipping nicely Alan. Couple of tweaks here and there and a big performance on raceday is near enough I think. That turn at 6 miles can be grim alright,especially if the wind is blowing and you get isolated at all. Fair play for keeping it between the lines 👍

So - being self coached leads to the invariable 'less productive at work' syndrome as I stew over what I should and shouldn't be doing - runningwise.

My immediate training will be focused on Half Marathon & developing my strength - last 2 races its something I lacked which I was previously quite 'strong' on.

I've signed up for Mullingar HM (I also have a Bohermeen entry) as I didn't want to be doing another Sunday race! (also gives me an additional weeks training).

• Tempo work (& extended tempos)
    • Hill Sprints & Strides
    • 10k paced work
    • Mainly 2 big workouts per week (maybe an MLR as well)
    • Be flexible!

Monday: Dog tired today (& partially hung over) - gave myself permission for a day off - My yoga/Buddah loving daughter told me to 'Honour My Body'

Tuesday: Got out after 4.30 and it was still bright enough for a lap of the PP - good times! - threw in 5 short Hill Sprints by St Marys - will increase these in number as the weeks progress.

7m total.

Wednesday: I knew my legs may not be up for a big session so close to Sundays race - so I pulled in my weekend planned run instead.

2E/2Steady/2MP/2T/2MP/2St/CD - which is in itself a big run but one I felt I could manage as I was 'running into it'.

2E miles to the PP: (7.40/7.30) - felt remarkably strong - thought about doing the planned session instead of the weekend one - but no - stick to the changed plan (if that makes sense :) )

2 Steady were sub 7's and onto the 2 MP miles - feeling remarkably strong - the Furze road and upto the CK Gate, back to the North Road Junction (6.25/6.27) - then onto the 2m tempo - I was kinda dreading this but it went remarkably well - I was going down the North Road, turned at the triangle to the Aras and down to the Polo Grounds - 2 miles went quite nicely (5.56/5.57) and had to slow down the 1st MP mile following the tempo - this came in at 6.17, which felt good - then going up Chesterfield into the breeze for the last MP mile was 6.21 - a good solid effort - faster than MP, uphill into the wind.

The 2 steady brought me from the Aras, up through CK, turn left at Myo's and finish just at the top of the hill (6.52/6.59).

Done just over a mile cooldown home (7.40).

Finished on 13.11 miles at 6.47 pace - a nice 1.29 Half :)

• Advertisement

Thursday 9th: Short recovery run - 4m / 8.16 pace - off to Damian Dempsey in the Abbey - a Superb show.

Friday 10th: A lunchtime run with DD (Not to be confused with last nights DD) - the hour flew by and the world is a better place.

8.5m / 7.59pace

Saturday: Session Morning - I wanted to get some pace work done at slightly faster than 10k and also some longer reps at HM pace. After the midweek session which was a longer tempo type run - I was happy enough with a Fartlek type workout that will build over time.

So 4x45secs (faster than 5k) - plenty of Zip still there.

3x5mins on the 2m Loop around the Visitor Center - 2 mins recovery jog (5.43/5.39/ 5.47) - a quick hello to Elaine & Sean during this - the last rep felt tough.

2x8mins: aim was slightly faster than Goal HMP (6.05) - using the 2m loop again and finishing on the OS Road. (6.02/6.03) - 2 min rec jog.

I dont think I could have done a 3rd rep - so a good session methinks.

4x45secs (faster than 5k and unintentionally faster than 1st set)

All in all - about 37mins of faster than HM pace work - then home for a glorious afternoon of Rugby.

12.1 miles total.

Sunday: Prepping on Sunday for an 'Up & Down' procedure - so spent most of the day on the toilet seat!!

Up and down? 🧐

Endoscope & Colonoscopy 😫😕💩

A right pain in the h0le.

Hope all went well A & you get some answers😊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Had both done a few years ago...the endoscope without sedation was the absolute worst. Best of luck with it.

Before anyone starts............I know..........I know.........stop............I know.

Monday: Home from hospital about 2'ish - quick bite to eat and then out for a short run, throwing in some hill sprints. (I know......I know....)

4.2 miles

Tuesday: So - after fasting for 40+ hours since Sat night and running 2 hours after an anesthetic yesterday - whats a guy to do at lunchtime on Tuesday except do a hard session.

I went out with the intention of doing 3x2 miles (~36 mins or work) but was willing to compromise and break it down more if needed (I'm good with myself like that).

Done a 5min WU / 10 min Steady then went into the 1st rep - I knew it would be difficult to hold the reps - so I changed it in my head early enough to a 10/5/10/5 session (with the possibility of 5x1min at the end at 5k pace to make up 36 mins of work).

10 Steady was at 7 min/miles - I find this very good to build into a tempo or MP session.

1st 10min T was 6.05 pace - happy enough with that, going around the 2mile loop that I use. 2 min recovery.

5min segment felt fantastic - probably could have convinced myself to keep going, but kept it to 5 mins. (6.03 pace) - 1 min recovery.

10 min Segment again felt very good for the 1st mile and died a little in the last 2-3 mins. (6.03'ish) 2 min rec

Final 5 min rep was 6.04 pace - felt ok'ish.

Rather than do a 5x1min type activity - I ran 10 mins steady (6.55 pace - uphill) home followed by a short 5min cooldown.

9.4 miles total.

I know........I know...........

Wednesday: I met a friend of mine for a few miles and was telling her how stupid I was over the past 2 days doing hill sprints and then a session following my little trip to the hospital. "How many miles you doing today" she says. "Ten" I answer as she rolls her eyes.

10 miles at 8.21 pace on the trails in Phoenix Park

I know.........I do know......I'll take a rest day on Thursday OK!! now leave me alone!!

I'm saying nothing. 😉

Well… if you got fire in the hole you may use it. Nothing wrong with that.

I see what you did there, @babacool 😂

Thursday: Rest day - no running. - was in Johnny Foxes with some American Cousins - great night!! (apart from Guinness zero)

Friday 17th: WU/ 20min T / 4mile Easy'ish/ 15min T/ CD

The main intention of this run was to tire the legs for the 2nd set of Tempo activities - no doubt, I'd get a response from the 1st Tempo effort - but its the 2nd Tempo effort where the magic would happen.

2m Warm up - 7.40/7.27 - legs felt great!

20min Tempo: 6.05/5.57/5.56/ (6.03 for the last 2 mins) Found this quite ok - going down OS/Furze and down to Park Gate Street. I felt great on this and considered doing a 4 or 5 mile T - but shut that down and stuck to the plan.

The 4 mile part was up the lumpy part of the park - (7.33/7.32/7.46/8.03) - was a nice return for these uphill miles.

15min Tempo - on the 2 mile loop I use - a fair loop - 6.02 / 6.04 / (6.06 for last 0.5m) - delighted with this after 9 miles running at a decent clip. Bit of a confidence booster for me as well.

2m Cool down.

14m / 7.04 ave pace.

Saturday: recovery run - 4.36 miles. (8.23 pace)

Sunday: I met the MSB group at 9am for this run - a good group of 12-13 of us.

Decent paces for the miles - which flew in - great chats and reminded me of the power and simplicity of running in a group.

13.5m / 7.42 pace

Weekly Summary:

56m for the week

2 Good Tempo Sessions

1 good MLR on trails (10m)

1 good 'long' run with group at a decent pace

Overall - a decent weeks training - not feeling in any way fatigued that dogged me recently - theres a fine balance between training too hard (not overtraining) and getting it right. - I think I got it right this week. (apart from the post hospital stuff!!)

• Advertisement

Monday: Ran down to the PP for some hill sprints in the Furry Glen - a steeper incline than the one at St Marys. Followed up with some strides.

5.9m total.

Tuesday: Session: 1/2/3/4/5/6/5/4/3/2/1 mins at 3k/5k/CV/10k efforts. (allowing the 10k effort to drop to Tempo or HMP if needed as basing it on effort)

The thought process for this weeks session was to do some faster than HMP work with a decent volume.

A couple of weeks back I had done 3x5min TH + 2x8minsT and had done largely Tempo work since - so this was a chance to get some faster stuff in and keep the volume highish (looking for about 36-40 mins of work) - this session ticked all the boxes.

the 1mins would be at 3k pace / 2mins at 5k pace / 3&4 mins at CV pace / 5&6 mins at 10k/10m effort. Doing it in the knowledge that the reps on the way up the ladder would feel good and coming down the ladder would be where the magic happens.

Paces worked out as planned - I felt in great control and wasn't straining at any stage - the reps on the Chapelizod Road were difficult into the wind, but not too bad overall. Slowest reps were 5.57 for the 1st 5min rep and similar the 6 min rep.

Recoveries were about 60-90secs.

Really liked that session - 36 mins of work at 10k effort or faster.

10.8m total.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I really like the sound of that session with the variation of time and pace- seems like you nailed it too!

Wed 22nd Feb: Gentle meander around - great to have daylight again.

6.4m / 8.15 pace

Thurs 23rd: Tight on time today - so - WU / Strides / CD -

4.5 miles.

Friday: Session - 6m WU/ 20min T / 5min Steady / 10min T / 2.30 min steady / 5min T / CD.

Main aim for this was to give the legs a bit of a going over to maintain Tempo pace while tired.

I gave myself the 'luxury' of allowing the pace to fall to 6.05's (Hopeful HMP) and if needed to do the Recoveries a bit easier.

Ran down to the park and done a small loop to finish out the 6 miles easy (Ave 7.40).

1st 20min Tempo felt great - From CK Gate - OS Road / Furze and down C'Field turning up to Garda HQ (Hate that little climb) (6.00/5.57/5.57/ 6.07 last 2 mins)

5 min steady (7.15 pace) up the North Road and into the 10min tempo - I could feel the breeze in the face going up North Road drag. Finished the 10min close to CK Gate (6.02/6.01 for 4 mins) and into the short 2.30 steady run (7.22 pace).

The last 5min Tempo was from CK gate around to Whites Gate and up the hill till it hit 5 mins! (5.48 pace)

Bumped into some clubmates just finishing their runs for a chat and ran 2m home with one of them.

One of those sessions that I'll look back on in the future - delighted how it went and how I executed it.

14.7 miles - ave 6.58.

Saturday: Legs were understandably tired on Saturday, partly due to the run yesterday, partly due to the beer and wine consumed, partly due to my dog waking me up before 7!

30 mins recovery - 3.77 miles

Sunday: Met up with the club again for a good run on the PP trails with nice chats - I really look forward to this part of the week.

Once the HM / 10k are done in March - I'll do a lot more sessions with them midweek before jumping into Marathon training in August timeframe.

13 miles inc 6x20sec strides at the end.

59 miles for the week.

Monday 27th: Easy miles + 8x10sec Hill Sprints - done what it said on the tin.

5m total

Tuesday 28th: Session: 3x2m off 1km Steady (2mile at slightly faster than 10m pace)

This was lined up as my 'big' midweek session of this block from an intenstiy and volume perspective - I wanted to be working very hard on the last 2m rep while trying to get faster than the 2 previous reps - on tired legs.

There is a slightly longer version of this (3x4km off 1km) thats a good HM indicator - I was initially going to do this but changed it to the above to ensure I was running faster in the last 2m. (4km = 2.5m)

Parked at Whites Gate and done a loop down Tower Road before dropping the warm up top back at the car - glad I was wearing gloves as it was quite chilly out there.

I didn't do strides or a steady run prior to the 1st rep - just lazy on my part and the 1st rep felt worse as a result.

1st 2m Rep: Farmleigh, down OS Road - onto Furze - back up C'Field - finishing at the roundabout. (5.59/5.59) And feeling it.

1km Steady Recovery: I knew the path from the roundabout up to CK gate and back down was about 1km - so used that - the legs started to motor and was sub 7's on this - felt very good actually. (6.46 pace)

2nd 2m Rep: 2m loop around the Visitor Center - 1st mile felt fantastic in 5.53, turned at the Aras and went back up the North Road - bit of a climb here and a bit windy - happy when the watch beeped at 5.58. So the 2nd was faster than the 1st - which is what I wanted.

1km Steady Recovery: Same route as 1st recovery - up & down from roundabout to CK gate and back - felt like I was jogging at 6.45's

3rd 2m Loop: Went back down C'Field and I must say - the legs were feeling fantastic - I was holding back and the mile came in at 5.50 - rather than turn left at the Aras - I turned right and went across the Popes Cross and the Acres - didn't actually realise how much of a downhill there was here - legs still feeling great. Across the Acres path and turned left for the last bit - feeling strong, finishing that mile in 5.43.

just under 2m back to the car - happy head on me.

Been a while since I had that warm fuzzy feeling after a session - have had it a few times recently.

Lets hope it converts to decent race times.

11m / 6.43 pace

Wednesday: Just under 8m with a buddy around the trails in the PP. Tired legs.

8m / 8.15 pace.

Feb: 204 miles

Thursday 2nd March: WU / Strides / CD - simples.

3.7 miles.

Friday 3rd: Long run/Session: 3E/3Steady/7 MP effort/ 2E

I had a bit of a dicky stomach on Thursday PM and Friday - so considered not doing this - But everything lined up for me to get out just after 3pm on Friday to fo it - so went with it.

The 3m Easy followed by 3m Steady (ave 6.55 for Steady) brought me to CK Gate - I had a moment along the way when I wanted to fart but was actually frightened I'd do a Radcliff (TMI I Know) - but thats how the stomach was.

For the 7 MP - I done a lap of the PP - Inc the Glen, up S-Bends, Wellingtom Monument and Up North Road - I had originally considered doing 5 MP and 2 HMP but just stuck with all at MP - its a difficult enough session as it is with a total of 10miles at a decent clip. On A Friday, with a dodgy stomach.

The MP effort came in just over 6.30's - happy enough with that.

The 2m CD home was a succession of run, walk, clench, run :)

Total of 15 miles at 7 min/miles

Saturday: Tired body today - didn't beat myself up and took a rest day.

Sunday: Legs were still a bit Meh - met up with the club for chats and trails in the PP - they all hightailed it off after 6 miles and I done another 5 or so on my todd to bring it up to close to 90mins.

Had my customary weekly sighting of such Phoenix Park inhabitants called Sean & Elaine.

11.2 / 7.29

Weekly Mileage: 54 miles

Racing Plans:

Not doing Bohermeen next week as I've a work trip - so will do Mullingar on 17th March.

Hopefully Dunboyne 10k on 26th March.

Would have thought you are giving tallaght 5k a go on the 17th as prep for dunboyne

I'd never trained specifically for a HM previously - it was always on the back of Marathon Training - so interested to see how Mullingar goes.

I think I can run a good 10k off the back of it - but the priority was the HM.

Original plan was for sub 1.20 - but I dont think I'm there yet - I do think that a few 20 milers are needed to really prepare for a Half, but we'll see - I've had a good last few weeks so feeling confident going into it for a decent run.

Haha PP inhabitants😆 Very best of luck to you in Mullingar, nice block of training, might see you in Dunboyne!

Looking at my plan the longest run is a 16miler (twice) so not sure if you really need a few 20milers to prep for a half. But I’m saying that now … who knows what I will say after the half 🤣

either way best of luck with those races. Go out and Enjoy them!

• Advertisement

20 milers for a half seems like overkill to me too - surely more specific training/sessions would deliver more bang? Interested in the thoughts there.

Advertisement