Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photos taken on your cycle.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭cletus

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Latest word is that they want the line reopened rather than a greenway and they will work on the Enniscorthy - New Ross Greenway. I am not complaining either way as I would be happy with either. Both a train or Greenway make Waterford commutable for me. Personally I don't see it happening though as IR drove that line into the ground intentionally, the NTA might do a better job of timetabling though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭JMcL

Yeah I believe the last few years had seriously low passenger numbers, not helped as you say by imbecilic timetabling. The relocation of the train station, new pedestrian bridge etc might make it a bit more viable than the current dumping off point on a particularly inhospitable roundabout (for any mode of transport)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

One journey to Waterford that left you late for most workplaces and another that left before most people would finish work, and then nothing at all for day passengers, it was intentional, much like their sale of the line into the port under the guise of it was a terrorist threat (with no Garda or security assessment, just the word of an IR employee). Anyway, rant over, until then I will give the full line a try on my MTB the next time, the CX bike was a shade bumpy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Not taken on a cycle but I got to take my mountain bike for a drive today...

Someone smarter than me probably wouldn't have ventured up to Ticknock today. West Dublin got a tiny dusting of snow overnight which was barely enough to stick to the car and was gone by noon so it's only when I was driving down the M50 I saw the snow on the mountains, even the road up to Ticknock was fine. It's only when I got to the car park I saw how bad it was.

I only continued up as I saw clear tyre tracks before anyone thinks I'm the type of person you always hear about getting stuck at Sally's Gap in their Qashqai/Tucson.

Didn't park anywhere with the risk of getting stuck, just stopped to the side where I wouldn't get stuck to get a few pictures.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Someone smarter than me probably wouldn't have ventured up to Ticknock today.

They did and they parked like dicks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,169 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you cannot see a double yellow because of snow, does it exist?

(and yes, i can see the no parking sign on a pole!)

I passed some of the cars there on the way up, thought nothing of it assuming they just didn't want to drive up further but yeah Ticknock is always a bad spot for emergency vehicle access.

Some of the replies to that tweet are moronic but people are constantly parking wherever they want making it someone else's problem. There was a tractor with a plough at the bottom of the hill, no chance for it to pass if it needed to clear the road up from the car park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Usually there is also a signpost with the restrictions. I know this because in the snow the other year I got done for incorrectly parking in a disabled space. Turned out the signpost had been knocked over by a truck 2-3 days previously so I was let off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

A couple of snowy gates from this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

On the GC-60 in Gran Canaria

Taking a breather at Ticknock.

Bought a set of stickers for the fork to match the colour of the frame, black stickers on a black fork are a bit boring. Never had money to add a bit of flair to my last MTB. The Marsh Guard is supposed to be sand colour like the frame but it's barely an off white. Need to replace the white zip ties, it's all I had on hand...

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Nice spin around Minaun in Waterford today.

Work break spin. I'd seen this gate before, bagged it today. Little bit of hike a bike to get to it.

Also saw a heron sunning itself, newly hatched baby ducklings, and a swan that tried to bite me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

@cletus

Is that the de Burg Estate in Naas?

• Advertisement

It is indeed. Or, more accurately, its outside the de Burgh estate looking in 😁

I'll take any path that gets me off the road

A fantastic morning for a spin, even if it is a little tricky to figure out what to wear when you set out early

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Snow on the Wicklow mountains, looking south from Luggala down towards the Lough Dan valley. Not sure if that's Lugnaquilla or one of the mountains in between

Snow on April 23rd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I remember my father talking about snow in Wicklow mountains in May 1963.

It was the 5th May, he was in Dublin for the National league final.

That snow may have survived from a proper harsh winter from Christmas to well into March

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

When hillwalking on Maulin yestewrday, snow could be seen clearly on Mullacleevaun so I'd imagine there's still some on Lugnaquilla as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Kilkenny Castle...it has a gate so it counts 😁

Gate...

Not gate...

B: Vickerstown

A: Don't tell me, I'll find it!

If you don't recognise this, you have more exploring of Leinster cycleways to enjoy!

Correct on B.

I'll be really quite impressed if you recognise A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

B'stoe taken at the start of Junkers

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This is technically two bikes (balance bike on the bike)....and another thatch cottage

^ and ^^^

I bet we could do a far better job at nailing all the thatched cottages on the island than any state body, and it would be more interesting than photos of gates.

Not sure if it's fair on the owners/occupiers though, but they may well be used to randomers/ randonneurs being overly nosey, while pretending to catch their breaths.

So are thatched cottages a thing on here now as I've a idea for my route today so!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,169 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a thing if you want it to be a thing.

• Advertisement

I think they should be a thing, along with and not replacing, the gate thing.

The great thing about a gate is you never know when you'll see a good one out of the corner of your eye that you never saw before.

Took a spin down around Caragh, Prosperous and Rathcoffey (between Naas and Maynooth) and got a few photos of thatched cottages (some with gates)...

...and this one but I didn't go in...

See, there's the problem with thatched cottages. Seth's after going and fūcking that entire area for the rest of us in one go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

It's all nostalgia in a way;farmers, mainly for cost reasons, left wrought iron behind in exchange for steel gates.

You would probably buy a half decent 4m galvanized gate for €150 or so; I'd be afraid to ask for a quote for a rivetted wrought iron gate today.

Likewise with thatch, if done well it's warm and keeps rain out but has downsides; continual maintenance, cost, fire risk and best of all rodent friendly 😄

Anyway here's a photo of one of the last places in Ireland still cutting and saving the reeds. He brings a lot onshore by row boat.

Winter work in marshy ground with hand tools, no place for soft lads.

You could get the one in my last photo!

There are loads more around that neck of the woods anyhow!

Another "thing" I thought of was old non-thatched cottages. I passed quite a few today, most of which had tin roofs but I'd say the houses are in or around two centuries old.

Where abouts is it? I've a few down here in the south of the county in mind.

Where abouts is what?

Ah, sorry. Its on the R409 between Mondello and Caragh, just south of the turn for Éire Óg & Digby Br.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/nvW7nPa4e9YqGJL48

• Advertisement

Organised a group spin to Newgrange and took this somewhere along the road to Duleek, I took this gate pic...

True. I did pass one earlier which was mostly covered with a tarpaulin but decided I'd leave it for others to snap 😎

the one out beside garristown?

Nope. It was a blue tarp and the house is on the left as you head from Rathbeggan to just west of Ratoath (the road continues on and eventually leads to Tayto Park but Google maps isn't giving me a road number).

ah - the one at garristown would potentially be on the way to newgrange, hence my guess.

• Advertisement

Garristown would have been slightly out of our way coming from Lucan & Leixlip (to Slane) and I wanted to keep the route distance to about 100kms so took more direct roads...

https://strava.app.link/TD0bI6mjAzb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Think it's between the bush & lagore cross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I'd say it's a nice bit flatter to go by the Bush etc than involving rolling hills by Garristown too.

Out for a morning ramble, no real plan for the route, other than bagging my local thatched cottages before @Seth Brundle decides to come down the south of the county and take all them too

And finally a thatchless cottage (or, more correctly, shop)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Didn't see a thatched cottage but I did stop at a gate, somewhere at the top of a climb outside of buncloudy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement