Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sodastream

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭54and56

AJ is €10 for a 5KG refill IIRC, carbondioxide.ie is €15 so on that score the answer is yes, not sure if that carries all the way through their pricing.

For an extra €5, I'll give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Raoul

Ah, 50% then. Not too bad when it is a 10kg refill. Tallaght is a bit closer for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi there, have been really enjoying our recent Sodastream purchase, and as the needle moves towards empty, thoughts are turning to more cost effective ways to return to full. We only use it a couple of times a day, so it will take a long time to recoup the costs of adapters, cylinders - perhaps longer than the very plasticky Sodastream touch will last. The first cannister fill has lasted almost 8 weeks. On that basis, are we just better off going with refills? I live near AJ in Bray and like the idea of being self-sufficient, but I'm guessing a 5Kg cylinder will probably cost in the region of €100, plus another €80 for adapters, plus another €20 (ideally) for a spare Sodastream cylinder. That's the equivalent of around 13 fills (including a new spare cannister and adapting cannisters to more easily take refills), or close to 2.5 years.

Anyone know if AJ in Bray will refill Sodastream cylinders directly (if the cylinders have the necessary valve replaced)? I will probably go down the doner-cylinder route anyway, just need to make sure that we'll continue to use it in a way that makes the investment worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

If I remember correctly, a full 5kg Co2 Cannister from AJ was €50(cash only), and the adapter from Co2 supermarket cost me another €55 odd. Thankfully I had a few cannisters that worked fine with the adapter as some have a non return valve.

So I had broken even after about 5 or 6 refills.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

This place will refill individual canisters while you wait (call them beforehand though to check availability). €10 per canister plus a one-off valve change fee of €20. I got 3 canisters filled for €70 last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,699 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The valve change fee of €20 includes a refill.

Three canisters should be no more than €60 if all three need a valve change, and will be €30 next time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Yeah, can’t remember the price promo they had. €70 for three canisters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Raoul

You pay a deposit of roughly 40 euro on the big gas cylinder. And it costs 10 to fill. So an initial outlay of less than 100 euro including the adapter. Or around that. The refills only cost ten euro then for the 5kg cylinder. Much cheaper in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks! I ordered this adapter from Amazon for just under €19, got a 5kg cylinder from AJ in Bray, popped the sodastream filter into the freezer for a couple of hours and gave it a bash. The doner cylinder was quite cold (so no great temperature differential), but still managed to get a little over 300g into the cylinder, so happy enough with that. It was one of the new sodastream valves, but I just followed the guidelines, and it was easy-peasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rayobri

Hi there, any issue with additional fees/ VAT / etc with the adaptors coming from UK? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭wassie

I had an order from CO2 Supermarket back in April for around ~£65/€75 and it came through fine via Royal Mail/An Post, even though it was over the $22 exemption limit (at that time). Actually got it VAT free as they removed the UK VAT.

However since VAT is now applicable on all purchases from UK and An Post have tightened up considerably since 1 July, you may not be so lucky. Who ever you but from it may be worth contacting them as to what they do. Expect to pay VAT and custom fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Yeah, contact the seller about it would also be my advice

As a further update for this thread, the 5L I got from AJ Edge is still filling my canisters, months later.

Loads of savings!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Same i wish id actually tracked my fills though, I think ive done 6 maybe 7 so roughly doing it about once a month. If i remember correctly i think the estimates are 11 fills out of it which i doubt ill get as ive definitely had enough wastage and loss through my own errors to probably equal one refill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭54and56

IIRC I get about 495g into my Sodastream canisters so 10 fills out of a 5KG donor tank is about as good as it gets.

If you're running low coming up to Xmas and with the possibility of more winter / Omicron Covid restrictions coming in I'll be getting a top us ASAP so I have plenty in reserve to get me through to March / April.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭wassie

I don't think we are not facing lockdown style restrictions anytime. I wouldn't be in any hurry to refill solely on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fergall

Well my refill ran out on Sunday so I was going to buy one or two in Argos so I'd have 3 and therefore top them up at the same time every couple of months using the converter I bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

This bullsh*t again. None available in Santry, Ilac or St Stephen's Green! Anyone able to get refills anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Going to go for this, so the shopping list is

1) Order adapter valve - https://www.co2-adapter.com/produkt/adapter/ (CO2 Adapter Pro 2 plus (EU) – sodastream) €56.20 incl shipping, site looks to be German so hopefully no customs issues (this one looks similar and is cheaper - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07SGXDC3X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

2) Get current Sodastream bottles refilled from https://www.carbondioxide.ie/ @€20 once off (to change to old style valve for easier future filling and fill bottle) - saves having to get from UK supplier and import tax issues

3) Get 5l CO2 bottle from AJ Edge Fire Safety in Bray with dip tube -€45 bottle "rental" + €10 to fill

Am I missing anything, any advise?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

That looks about right, im guessing the amazon valve is chinese so there's gonna be a small risk there but it seems to have good reviews. I didnt know there was someone offering to change the valves to the old style which is useful to know. Its also possible to do it yourself and from the videos ive watched doesnt seem too difficult but you probably only save a few euro considering the new bottle valve costs 10ish euro.

• Advertisement

If you go way back in the thread I think someone did a full integrated counter setup using something similar.

Looks like our friends in Tallaght have put their rate up to €15 per refill or €40 for three. With Argos at €17, it's hardly worth trekking out to Tallaght.

Unless there is anyone in south Dublin with their own cylinder who would like to provide a bootleg service?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Just short of 2 years since buying my valve online, ii finally got it to AJ Edge today and picked up a 5litre CO2 tank.

May the savings finally begin!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,606 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That's what I use now. Switched from refilling mini-cylinder to using this on a fire extinguisher cylinder with a dip tube. Works brilliantly

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Hi Folk's I just wanted to thank you all for your contributions regarding refilling sodastream C02 cylinders. I read through the thread and have joined you guys in the cheap refill club.

Firstly I got my sodastream spirit for €60 in Curry's.

Then I picked up 2 refills from here - https://kaffekapslen.ie/co2-cilindros-sodastream01.html. @ €22.90 each . I got some flavoured syrups too which brought the order total well above the limit for free shipping. All the cylinders (including the sodastream kit) which I received where refill friendly with what I think is a newer type head that replaced the refill unfriendly one.

Yesterday I picked up a 5L C02 cylinder with dip tube, €55 from AJ Edge.

I ordered a refilled adapter from Amazon. I took a chance on this super cheap (€23.90 with prime membership free delivery) adapter and it's really very good quality. It arrived about 30 minutes ago - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09N6SW7P . It's a clone of a previously linked CO2 Adapter Pro 2 plus adapter but it's absolutely perfect, really great finish with spare o-rings. It has the RPV valve adapter pre installed. I removed it as the cylinder AJ Edge supplied didn't have a RPV valve on it. See this video for instructions - https://youtu.be/BeZmesxhk8Y

I just refilled my first cylinder after leaving it in the freezer overnight. Weight before fill was 811g after filling it was 1263g This compares to 1172g I got from a refill from the guys in Tallaght on a cylinder which I didn't freeze.

Thank you all. I hope this helps anyone else looking to join the club

Great write up, thanks!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Senature

So Argos don't seem to have exchange cylinders in stock the past few weeks, anyone know anywhere else to get them?

There's great diy ideas in this thread but I'm looking for a quick solution!

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Harvey Norman do rather expensive exchanges at around €22 . The Range (at least in Liffey Valley) do refills, if they have the trained staff are in and they've C02 in stock.

• Advertisement

Just tried ordering some lemonade syrup off an irish site and heard back from them that sodastream have fully stopped doing their own flavours and are only doing branded stuff like 7up and coke ones for the forseeable.

Advertisement