Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us - HBO *Spoilers* See warning in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

As for the MK2 arcade machine, I think her seeing it in the filling station made her think of a happy memory with Riley. She was happily telling Joel about how she had a friend who knew everything about the game, how she played as Mileena etc. Ellie thinking about Riley doesn't always have to be a negative emotion about her death. She was thinking about one of her happiest moments with Riley.

They played the game and within an hour Riley was bitten, dead not long after.

Associative memory is a powerful thing so the idea that she sees that game and doesn't immediately get reminded of Rileys death is just not believable for me. At best it is a bittersweet memory, one that raises a smile as she remembers the good thing she did with her friend just before she died. But seeing the game and being excited and happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Likely because there was no "immediate reaction" or "moment" where that guilt transpired. The idea of Ellie being immune would be completely alien to her. We don't even know if Ellie was there when Riley died, as it's possible the Fireflies found them before that.

Even after Riley died, Ellie would just have been waiting to turn and believing she was going to die too. Even the Fireflies were waiting for her to start turning for several days before Marlene got there. What we got in the show was a lot more exciting than watching Ellie sitting in a room thinking.

As for "teenage flirting", come on.... It wasn't flirting. They were best friends and Riley wanted to have one great night with Ellie before she left as a way of saying goodbye and because she was leaving. There was no romantic intentions for either of them, but it just happened.

Again, she may be thinking of Riley, rather than primarily about Riley's death. At that stage however, she was still incredibly guarded around Joel, and it might also go to explain why she stabs the infected in the head that is trapped in the basement. A form of cathartic revenge; stabbing the trapped infected in the same way she stabbed the one who bit her and Riley.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭ULMarc

Ah now. there were several moments of them flirting but neither willing to acknowledge it. And the scene with the window display couldn't have broadcasted it any more heavily.

But as I say, all of that would actually have been interesting.

I said "died", but they weren't dying, they were infected and turning, and since Ellie didn't know she was immune they both would have expected to turn around the same time. (Both bitten on the arm/hand). So what happened when Riley turned but Ellie didn't? Did she attack Ellie? She should have, since Ellie was not infected? Is Riley still shuffling around down there?

Like I say, the handling of that core period would have been far more character development than what was presented, and might actually have had some relevance to the current day situation with Joel and the obvious fakeout about whether she was actually going to leave when he told her to. Show us Ellie leaving Riley behind at any point and character development becomes possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

The Left Behind story wasn't necessary to understand why Ellie chose to stay with Joel. When you played the game the DLC didn't even exist. Not having that context didn't hinder or advance her progression in any way during the game which was flawless storytelling. . What she did during Joel's healing in terms of hunting and savaging added far more development to her character. And thats what should be coming up in next weeks episode.

There's number of reasons that factor into her decision to stay that aren't directly linked to Riley. That episode could never have happened and its still logical to believe it was too much of a risk for her to go it alone. She also clearly cares for Joel and relies on him for guidance. You don't need to harbour some sort of past survivor guilt in order to save some somebody close to you. This wasn't some deep thought provoking episode. Just an hour of daytime level soap opera with predictable story beats. . To equate it to the brilliant episode 3 on the shallow basis it also had no zombies is absurd.

I more so meant it wasn't their intention at that start, either Riley's in bringing Ellie to the Mall or Ellie in going. It wasn't so much "teenage flirting" as it was something that just developed.

But Ellie wouldn't have left Riley behind. It's not about Ellie leaving Riley or Joel behind, it's Ellie's fears about being the one left behind because as she said in her argument with Joel; "...Anyone who I've cared about has either died or left me..." The character development point is Ellie's fears about the people she loves dying, compounded by the fact that she's immune to the infection that will kill everyone else. It's not about seeing exactly what happened when Riley died, if Ellie was there etc, it's just about Ellie's survivors guilt and making her feel alone.

The episode starts with Joel pushing Ellie to the floor and telling her to go north to Tommy. She stands up, looks at him for a second and then turns and walks up the stairs. At the door she pauses for a moment, then the scene fades back to her in the Fedra building.

I haven't played the game, I can only go on what I am being shown on the screen, and what is being shown on the screen is pretty unambiguous. As the viewer at this point the question I am being asked is whether Ellie leaves Joel or not.

Not being smart, I would bet dollars to doughnuts that you have played the game and are answering with game knowledge in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,914 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

What a great show !

Love Bella Ramsay and Pedro. I was so shocked when Tess was taken out so soon ( completely new to TLOU ) that I am worrying about him now. Why did they pull out the piece of the bat out ? He is just bleeding out now . And her stitching his skin will not sort the internal bleeding ...but I digress .

The character development from week to week is so good. We now know that Ellie will stay to the end with him , as with Riley . She is a great character . But she also does not want to be alone .

I love the humour , and the music . Anybody else get Just Like Heaven by The Cure on the carousel ? A tinselly kid's version? It was' just like heaven' for the two girls getting this time together of course .

And the book of silly jokes , the arcade games, perfect teen entertainment . Goes to how poignant it is that their lives now are about almost-children having to think about throwing bombs and making serious life or death choices when they should be free to enjoy the mall and games instead .

Think the point of the mall is to show the importance of such activity to developing independence while in a ' safe ' environment for younger's future teens , but also to emphasise the irrelevance of many of these outletsto others in a survivalist world. That is why Riley was left to guard it , nobody else was interested in it .

Each episode shows more views of the world and gives us more insight into the characters and their individual emotions and struggles.

And last week the older Indian couple who kept away from everyone and the community who kept themselves locked away, each thinking the others were monsters ?

I am not saying it's the best show ever because there are many that claim that accolade , but it is very, very engaging and very well produced and perfectly acted . Enjoying that it is the opposite of the soo drawn out and repetitive TWD with each episode succinct and completely different ..Loving it .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭Heckler

I think that episode really showcased Ramsey as an actor. Predict her doing well in the future.

• Advertisement

I have played the game, but I'm entirely answering based on what we saw in the episode and previous episodes. Yes, Ellie's pause on the stairs before the flashback to the Mall would give the impression that she might leave Joel behind, or that maybe she left Riley behind and the guilt of it is what makes her stay and not leave Joel behind, but I think seeing what the episode shows us demonstrates that Ellie likely didn't leave Riley behind, and so that's not the motivation behind Ellie's decision.

We haven't seen anything that would suggest Ellie would have left Riley behind, especially since Ellie was bitten too and didn't know she was immune, just would have thought she'd still being going to turn eventually, but then didn't. We don't know what happened between the last scene with Riley and Ellie being chained up by the Fireflies. We don't know if they were found before they turned, we don't know if Ellie was there when Riley started to turn, we don't know if Ellie was the one who had to take Riley out after she turned. We don't know that from the show and I don't think we're ever told that in the game either, so I have no more information than you.

I think what we do know, is that the exact circumstances of how/where Riley turned or if Ellie was there etc is not really the point of what this episode is trying to show us (otherwise the episode would have shown it to us, not to mention that this part of the story wasn't even in the original game but was added as extra content after). I think what this episode is trying to show us is why Ellie fears being alone above and beyond just people she loves dying. She's immune to the infection. She's worried that she'll always be the one left behind. Again, she says as much to Sam before he dies, and in her argument with Joel in last week's episode. I believe that's why she makes the decision she makes; it's not about not wanting to leave Joel behind, but that she doesn't want to be the one left behind again, just like how Riley died but Ellie survived. It's not about her leaving them behind to die, but about her not wanting to always be the one left behind to live, alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭al87987

The bit where I really thought wow Bella Ramsey is a great actor is when they were dancing with the masks on, she slowed down somewhat and, even though she had a mask on, I could completely tell her expression and how she was feeling from her body language.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,914 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes.

She now knows she has survived her friend Riley, Tess, and may survive Joel if she doesn't help him .

She is the one Left Behind . And in danger of being left alone , last person standing .

Also while I would imagine they will deal with Riley's finale at some stage I am glad they did not include that in this episode . It would have been too obvious and gratuitous , and just to satisfy a need for 'tidying up ' at the expense of the loving and emotional picture of the two of them holding each other as they wait to turn .

We all have seen those scenes of people having to kill or end loved ones before , in this and more so in TWD . It was unnecessary in this episode imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭trashcan

Yeah, I think she is going to be a star. I think it would have been interesting to see what happened to Riley, and how Ellie ended up being chained by the Fireflies. If they knew she was bitten, why not just shoot her rather than take any chances. They must have had some indication that she wasn’t affected by the bite, but what ? Perhaps the fact that Riley had turned and she hadn’t, when they were both bitten at the same time. Maybe there will be more flashbacks to explain ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Does anyone know if there is any significance to the masks they wore?

There's a great mid 80s Scottish film - Restless Natives with 2 lads dressing up as the Clown and the Wolfman to rob tourist coaches, was wondering if there's some connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Ive no idea but that's a blast from the past.

In episode two didn't someone say to Joel they're working on a cure. And he says he's heard it before? I don't know if he means he's heard about general work on a cure, or about an infected survivor before. But maybe infection survivors are something the fireflies watch out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mormegil

If they knew she was bitten, why not just shoot her rather than take any chances. They must have had some indication that she wasn’t affected by the bite, but what ?

We were told in Episode 1 that it was Marlene who gave the order not to shoot Ellie.

We were also told that it was Marlene who placed Ellie at FEDRA when she was a baby to keep her safe. So it's clear that right from when she was a baby the Fireflies (Marlene at least but no doubt others) knew there was something special about Ellie and it can only be that they knew (or at least suspected) that she was Immune.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭trashcan

Interesting. I missed the fact that it was Marlene who had placed Ellie with Fedra. I obviously haven’t been paying enough attention !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭Evade

I don't think anyone knew until she was bitten otherwise why wait to do all this until after she had been infected?

• Advertisement

There's the lines:

Ellie: Why won't you let me go home?

Marlene: Because you have a greater purpose than any of us could've ever imagined.

So maybe this was news to Marlene.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,677 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

One thing I don't think the show has demonstrated well is why Joel and Ellie are continuing their journey past Jackson.

Ellie was kidnapped and held captive by the fireflies, then sent as cargo with two smugglers, it wasn't her crusade to begin with. Joel was only doing it because there was going to be a payoff at the end.

So when they find themselves welcome in a very nice community in the middle of nowhere the obvious thought would be to stay right where they are, not head back into the wilds after just one night.

I know people who played the game will say that Marlene sold Ellie on saving the world or something but as I say, I don't think the show has demonstrated that concept across very well. Remember, show, don't tell. Did I miss the part where Ellie herself showed why she wanted to put herself through all this?

And thats without getting into the fact that any "cure" would change very little for the world anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I think knowing exactly what was gonna happen meant it didn't have the weight of episode 3 which it should have had. Some nice little moments but I found it dragged a bit and I am nowhere near one of the "where's the zombies" people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

not sure if it’s been mentioned but I find Ellie’s character has been totally miscast. The actress is very unlikeable, annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭Evade

I think Bella Ramsey is absolutely fantastic and has far exceeded my expectations. I was a bit apprehensive as I only knew them from Game of Thrones, but they've absolutely nailed every important scene, and the little details in their performance throughout have been spot on.

It's almost hard to compare Bella and Ashley because Ashely had to be a lot more animated both vocally and physically due to the limitations of motion capture (as good as it was), whereas Bella is able to be a bit more subtle but nuanced. Similar to Pedro and Troy Baker, Pedro has been playing Joel far more reserved than Troy did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

As young adult actors go , there are much worse out there, but you are not the first to state you find her annoying. She was quite good in Game of thrones though and most seem to think she is good on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Generally seems to have been very well received as Ellie even by people like me who hated her girl boss GoT character.

Post edited by breezy1985 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

I'm the same. Was used to the look of Joel and Ellie in the game, so was concerned about how they'd come across in the series. In the promo's, you could see they nailed the look of Joel with Pascal, but Ellie was quite a bit different. It's a testament to Ramsey's acting that she completely won (most of) us over!

Advertisement