Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating automation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

ESB Networks are rolling out online availability of half hourly smart meter reading to all smart meter customers, regardless of your billing package or supplier.

Register for an account on ESB Networks with your MPRN. You may have access to your usage figures now, or if not, they’ll be available over the coming months. I got access to mine from late January.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭deezell

You can add the SL from the previous boiler connection to the CH SL input on the New boiler. It will Call the boiler in combination with whatever connections were made externally from the boiler to the two new motorised valves. The SL input is the first terminal on the left. The second is the output of the boilers own internal timer system that was installed, which also includes the thermostat control from its wireless stat. This goes out to a CH zone valve and returns as a zone valve relay SL to terminal one.

HW call from this may have been wired to a seperate HW call terminal 3 from the left, see the note regarding different boiler flow temperature for CH and HW

You will need to have the combined SLs from your original 3 valves which went to the old boiler reconnected to the new at terminal one, marked in orange. I'm surprised this was not done, as so much else was in your new install. You should call them back in.

Once this is done replacing all this mixed control with a Single new smart 4 CH plus HW system is just a case of a sufficient no. of new wireless stats and receivers wired to existing zone valve brown control wires. The combined orange wire outputs of these go to the boiler SL in. Your current Inspired has 4 outputs I'm fairly sure, so it can take an extra CH stat, leaving HW control to the Ideal timer plus cylinder stat control perhaps.

When you have a smart TRV valve in the same location as it's zone controller stat, you put them in the same 'room', and they use the same schedule. Importantly, set the 'measuring device' of the TRV as the stat. This turns the TRV into a simple motorised valve controlled by the stat. If the stat, as zone controller, is called by another TRV to fire the boiler, it will close it's relay to do so but will not wirelessly open the colocatedTRV which it controls while its own internal sensor is at target temperature. In this instance the stat is just acting as a boiler relay for the other TRVs that are using it as zone controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭burdburd

I opened the wiring enclosure i think I am OK...I see SL1 and SL2 which I believe correspond to Ch and HW(when fired up on SL2 - loop shown removed- the boiler will heat cylinder at 80oC and if fired on SL1 will heat zones at a lower temp.

If both come on 80oC will go to cylinder and rads.

So as it is a S plan Plus already plumbed, I expect to use SL2 for Hw programmed for times that do not overlap with CH call for heat on SL1.

make sense ?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭burdburd

Thanks Deezell !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 guitarless

My home only has 1 zone with a 20 year old boiler. I'm looking at upgrading the boiler and getting a smart system like Tado to be able to control i) hot water independently of heating ii) upstairs heating and iii) downstairs heating all separately. I'll try to get the heating control grant too.

Is there any real difference between getting my system replumbed so that upstairs and downstairs are on different zones vs installing smart TRVs to each radiator in the house and controlling them using Tado or similar? It seems like installing the smart TRVs would be less work and possibly less expensive than getting someone to physically replumb. I want to know what I'm looking for when I talk to people about getting this done

You already know enough to avoid being bulls****ed. If you consider your seperate HW first, how is it currently heated, is it only while all the rads are on? Is the cylinder upstairs. Can you trace a seperate flow and return from the boiler to the cylinder. Can you trace a seperate flow and return for upstairs in general. Seperating these plumbed zones is key to a zoned system. Even if you can clearly identify a seperate circuit to upstairs, the cylinder may be tapped off it at an arbitrary point, making it impossible to close flow to all the upstairs rads using a single zone valve.

Is the entire system 20 yo or just the boiler. It would be surprising to have an installation from the 2000s that didn't at least supply the cylinder on its own circuit, either by gravity convection, or by a zone valve on the CH. This was often as simple as running the boiler with the circulation pump off. Hot flow and return ceased to the rads, but went by gravity convection to the cylinder. Is the old boiler gas or oil? Gas is generally pumped for all flows, whereas a ground floor installed oil boiler indoors would likely have a gravity split for HW, then a recognisable further split for up and down CH. This is the only configuration that is easily plumbed into zones by the insertion of motorised valves.

If the flow and return are randomly tapped for CH and HW, as in many houses the flow/return is piped in a loop in the 1st floor ceiling, with ground floor rooms fed from pipes going down in the partition walls, and 1st floor rooms from risers, (the cylinder could be anywhere in this mix), then your only economical recourse to zones is to install Smart TRVs. This will give you multiple CH zones, but also independent HW as with all TRVs closed the cylinder alone can be heated.

So first job is to try and get an accurate idea of your existing plumbing. Splitting to zones and isolation of the HW circuit may be infeasible or prohibitively expensive. If concrete floors need to be dug to find branches, I'd call a halt straight away. The advantage of TRVs is that you can get your new boiler, get each rad fitted with a €20 trv valve body, with or without mechanical trv head, install your Tado for the general single zone, and in stages remove the mechanical TRV heads if fitted and replace with smart TRVs onto the valve bodies.

If you manage at a minimum to isolate the HW heating, you'll have a grant enabled system, and even a partial implementation of TRVs will be sufficient to increase efficiency by capping and closing lesser used rooms, but leaving general purpose areas such as the hall and bathroom open for any CH timed event.

Somewhere on this thread last year a poster gave a real costing for supply and fit of a TRV valve head per rad based on a full house set, but not including the smart heads or their configuration. I think it may have been in the region of €70-80 per rad, but you'd have to trawl back unless the poster reads this and obliges. I'll have a root myself to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭gillamandango

Upgrade Query

I have tried looking but get confused with all the options. I have a boiler, which heats Rads/Water at same time, no zones, only 120m², 2 story semi. Water doesnt get heated unless rads are on. I have an old timer switch, mechanical, off/on/timed.

Can I replace the old timer with this Nest, is this one the correct one, in particular for my conventional boiler and setup? - https://www.screwfix.ie/p/hive-active-v3-wireless-heating-hot-water-smart-thermostat/246jk

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Any thoughts or suggestions for the following set up, post refurb?

- New combi condensing boiler - Weissman Vitodens 111

- 5 zones ufh, downstairs

- 6 rads upstairs

I liked Nest before doing refurb. Like being able to turn on heating before getting home, and turning on water too (had traditional boiler and hot cylinder).

I'm not convinced I need too much now by way of automation....rhe house is being deep retrofitted so can maybe cope with relying on stats for ufh, and manual intervention for rads when needed.

But I'm probably missing something....what would people recommend with this set up?

That's a Hive brand, not Nest, but it's identical in function, smart wireless thermostat with relays for control of CH timing and temperature, and a separate timer for HW. Your current setup has no facility to heat HW only, so you'll have no immediate use for the HW control until you have some plumbing changes made to your system, if its possible to easily isolate thee CH and HW flows. Meantime it's an ideal system for your single zone setup, with the receiver mounted in place of the timer switch, and the wireless thermostat placed in your chosen reference spot, usually living room or other reception area.

• Advertisement

What do you currently have by way of control. Wall stats? Any stat upstairs? Zone timers or controllers? With deep retrofit and ground floor UFH, you won't have any great advantage in tweaking ground floor settings, unless you're away for long periods, as the response time is relatively slow, Upstairs might produce some savings by a general smart schedule, or individual TRVs, but if the rooms are high spec insulated, it will be hardly noticeable as low loss to the outside and heat transfer rising from the ground floor and between open doors upstairs tends to even out the temperature spread. The most savings with smart thermostats occurs in poorly or even modestly insulated homes, where you can selectively turn down or off little used rooms, and focus your heat where its required at given times.

You could try manually simulating a scheduled system by turning ufh stats up and down at different times of the day, see if it creates better comfort where required, or unacceptable cold spots. If they're not already on a timer, turn down at night and on again early in the morning. You don't need the kitchen at 20° at 3:00am, so there are some saving to be had by allowing steady cooling during the small hours, and restoration before everyone gets up. As I said, cold draughty houses produce the best smart thermostat results.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thanks for the detailed response. The old house had 2 zones, upstairs and downstairs. We had Nest for downstairs and remote water on/off/schedule. Worked great.

I was thinking the exact same as you - UFH is slow to respond so should be based on schddule, zones and wall stats.

Upstairs should benefit from below, and be very performant.

I might just stick the Nest in our bedroom and link it to upstairs zone, may as well make use of it. That would give remote access to the only thing that is responsive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

For anyone with a Wiser system and Home Assistant set up, the integration owner added a new automation mode that lets you set a TRV to "passive". So if something else is calling for heat, that TRV increases its set point by 0.5ºC as long as the heating is on, when the thing that's calling for heat stops, then the passive TRV is set back to whatever it should have been at. (and it can call for heat at usual of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

I have a 3 zone heating system. My programmer is an EPH R37 HW which has no wifi function so cant use the ember app with it.

Is it simply a job of replacing the programmer itself with an EPH R37 RF with a gateway and I'll be able to use the app?

Thanks in advance

No. The EPH R37RF control unit is the wireless receiver for wireless EPH stats, so you will need these also. The full kit is EMBERPS08. This has two wireless CH stats, one wireless cylinder stat, the 3 zone RF controller, and the Gateway. About €440 currently, or €370 for the EMBERPS06 without the wireless cylinder stat (wired mechanical cylinder stat if fitted will continue to work)

Far smarter system would be the Drayton wiser Kit 3 zone, €239 in Screwfix. https://www.screwfix.ie/p/drayton-wiser-wireless-heating-hot-water-3-channel-thermostat-control-kit/4081v

It has much more smart features, better stats and app, and the option for individual radiator smart TRVs at a future date. The Wiser receiver just replaces your existing wired EPH controller and you can remove the old wired CH stats, linking their live and switched live wires together, and concealing them in the wall recess behind the old stats. Alternatively, they can be left as is and just turned up full to link the internal connections. The existing mechanical HW cylinder thermostat if fitted can be left in place

Thanks for the reply, doing the install today. I notice I have a black wire on the old Mechanical timer, is this to the thermostat out in the boiler? Do I remove that black wire from the equation, to attach it to slot 1 on the hive backplate? I attach some pics so any help with the wiring is appreciated.

Apologies, I can't figure out how to rotate media when attached.

Blue to Neutral, Brown to Live, the Black is the Switched live back to the boiler, it goes to terminal 4 on the Hive. The green/yellow earth is parked on the earth terminal on the hive. Its looks connected to your Blue Neutral wire in the old timer. It shouldn't be. Earth is only ever strapped to Neutral up in the consumer box. Here's the backplate wiring for the Hive, you have the two channel one on the right, CH on is terminal 4.

Thanks again for your help, advise and understanding is invaluable. I installed it and all the lights look good, just no spark from the boiler. I will reseat the Black switched live again as its the only wire as per your instruction that fires the boiler.

It can only be that, unless... that green/yellow wire was actually neutral back to the boiler, and whoever installed it had no blue wire. If this is the case the switched live Black is going to the boiler and coming back to the now disconnected green/yellow. Power down and link that green/yellow to the Blue Neutral, check does it now fire.

• Advertisement

100% on the money, was a neutral. What you don't see in the pic and what I only noticed now when I went back, is that it was 4 core cable used, hence the Earth/Neutral. Thanks for your help with this, know a bit about somethings, but clueless when it comes to wiring. All fired up and working as expected, had to pop it into Gravity fed mode as I had a cold tank in the attic and the hot water cylinder in the hotpress, seemed its only the Rads being pumped.

It's so wrong to use g/y wire in a powered circuit, it could cause an accident if cut on the assumption it was a passive earth wire while it was carrying boiler motor current. Roy Rodgers was on the job

When you say you popped it into gravity mode, are you referring to the Hive configuration? Your system as you said only heats HW when CH is on. Gravity mode requires that the HW on terminal is wired to fire the boiler, but the CH On terminal operates the pump. The cylinder will then heat independently by convection if the hot flow pipe from the boiler rises To the cylinder, without dropping to or under the floor first. CH heats by bringing on the pump. Currently you are not using the HW timer ON of the hive.

You don't have an existing old wired wall thermostat in your setup? This is often wired just to control the pump, so turning it down switches off CH while the boiler continues to fire and heat HW by convection/gravity flow.

Yes, Gravity Fed mode on the Hive Receiver - I did this as I read (below) in the setup that it matched my system, or so I thought. The receiver when on, has the CH and HW buttons lit - HW and Rads get hot. It all seems to be working, but based on previous wiring, might just be luck! (House was plumbed and sparked by apprentices back in the boom of 2003!)

I don't think my system pumps the HW to the cylinder in the hotpress, have the cold tank in the attic, the pump only seems to push to the rads, maybe my understanding is wrong. Should I revert back to normal mode on the Hive receiver?

Yours is just a single zone as far as I can see. If you have no wall thermostat to separately control the pump, (some people had a simple switch to knock it off), then you'll always have CH and HW everytime the boiler fires. You'll need some rewiring to get gravity mode, but it would be worth it. If the pump is next to the boiler, you would just need to move the Hive there, connect CH ON to operate the pump, and HW ON to fire the boiler, with the hive in gravity mode. Easy peasy.

Just the single zone yes, no stats anywhere, only temp control seems to be on the Boiler Outside (just above the Firebird sticker in the pics above). No other switches, pump is outside on the boiler/burner but no idea what or where it pushes to, Rads/HW/Both?. I have the Hive in Gravity mode currently and seems to be working. I just switched it back to Non Gravity and works also. Does it now matter which mode the Hive Receiver is in?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Seems they're the best option for Home Assistant linking.

I'll stick to the Hive, have it working hubless with a bit of effort (proxy devices that send receive the commands as HA doesn't always send the right info based on user interface) and I know enough that I think I could automate something similar if I wanted to but I don't have TRVs yet so no big deal!

No, it makes no difference per se as you only have one relay connected, the CH ON, but if you set it off using a HW only schedule, nothing will happen as the CH relay is the only one connected. You can test if gravity HW only is possible by disconnecting the circulation pump power, and firing the boiler on it's own, but if the hot flow pipe drops below the boiler on the way from the shed, then no convection flow will occur to the HW cylinder. If the HW has a distinct seperate tee off of pipes from the boiler flow and return to the CH , you can get motorised valves plumbed in at that point to enable seperate zones for CH and HW.

Post edited by deezell on

• Registered Users Posts: 27 guitarless

Thanks deezell for the previous reply.

Does anyone know the best place to buy Evohome in Ireland/Europe? Going to get hit by customs if I order from the UK websites I see a lot of. Other options seem to be Amazon.de / Amazon.co.uk but the TRV screens will be upside down

Screwfix have Honeywell Evohome. Compare prices to Amazon and see, but Amazon UK will only adjust the VAT to Irish, no duty unless the order is over €150. You could buy individually to avoid duty, which is 2% I think as Evo are European made. Screwfix can obviously bring in directly from the EU, so should be competitive with amazon UK, and easier for returns.

CPC Ireland who are Irish Honeywell distributors only seem to have a few basic stats on their site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Glebee

What way would the Tado radiator valves work along side a stove with a back boiler for the rads? Been using the oil to heat the rad but got an inkling to crank up the stove today but then thought of the Tado valves I have installed. They will stay closed unless I open and then the oil will turn on.. Is there a way around?

Advertisement