Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My landlord is threatening to evict me because of rent arrears, what should I do. Advice seeking!

Options
  • 18-02-2023 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I moved to Ireland few months ago and I have a job. However at first I was declined to apply a PPSN because lack of evidence. When I got a job and PPSN letter, I applied it immediately however it is a very log waiting process. Now I am paying emergency tax and , only getting half of my gross wages and my net income is not enough to cover my rent and living expense. I told my situation to my landlord and he said he understand that. Yesterday my landlord threatening to evict me because of rent arrears. We came to an agreement that I pay weekly until I have my PPSN and taxed correctly. My overpaid taxes is more than enough to paid off the rent I owed him. What should I do?

On citizen information they only said I dont need a PPSN when finding a job, and never mention about emergency taxes. Also they stated it only take 1 week to get a PPSN however this is not the case. It is a total misleading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Get some cash together and offer landlord a down payment promising the rest by a set date.

Maybe a loan from family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kckcn88

I have told him the arrears will be cleared once I got the tax refund. However he changed his mind yesterday and asked me to clear by the end of the month. Now I am paying 52% emergency taxes because of PPSN issue. I have to wait for the PPSN so I can afford and clear the arrears howver this is a very long process. Now I am paying weekly and down to nothing left by the end of the week.

The landlord most likely doesn't care about your problem and can re-let quickly to someone who will pay him.

Reach out to someone who does care about you and find the money.

You must understand this is not the landlords problem. He is a business

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Go to an entreo office and get them to speed up the ppsn issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

Sounds like it kinda is also the landlords problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Contact Threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

And they are doing something about it.

OP moved to Ireland without enough savings, this is why many countries make immigrants prove they have means to support themselves for X number of months. Now they are defaulting on rent after only a few months, and they will be extremely lucky if the landlord hasn't already made up their mind to evict.

The reasons no longer matter, the OP needs to acquire funds and pay the rent in full ASAP and then cross their fingers that it is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Maybe contact Community Welfare Officer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

Didn't say the landlord wasn't starting to do anything about it. But to say it's not the landlords problem is of course incorrect.

• Advertisement

It's not the landlords problem to sort out the OPs issues with Revenue. Rent arrears are legitimate grounds to issue a termination notice.

OP, you need to put pressure on Revenue to deal with your PPSN number problem, pay your arrears, and if you're renting less than six months, hope the landlord doesn't evict you anyway.

He won't have any problem letting the space to someone who can pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Unlikely to assist without habitual residence: they will probably suggest the OP moves home.

Post edited by Mrs OBumble on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I would find it very odd in today's climate that a landlord would rent to someone who doesn't have minimum of 6 months with an employer, references from previous landlords etc.

When there's queues around the corner the landlord does not need to take someone straight off "the boat" so either the OP is telling tales or landlord is dodgey .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭C3PO

When you say “landlord” what do you mean OP? Are you living in his house or separately? Have you a written lease?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Fallout2022

MABS might front you some money if they see your wage and tax documents.

Being that you have a temporary cash flow problem as opposed to an underlying financial deficit.

They are of course heavily subscribed at the moment - the times that are in it.

So your landlord won’t rent you a house on a promise of money? I mean I sympathise but completely understand why.

The bank (if a mortgage is owed) won’t leave the account unpaid either. But also there’s nothing to suggest you have showed the landlord evidence of your claims of 52% tax or indeed that you have the means to pay the rent ongoing and that indeed your tax refund would be enough to pay the arrears. That’s not to mention the ambiguity with the timeframe on getting his money.

Understand that DEASP is under heavy pressure at the minute due to the numbers of refugees etc entering Ireland who will surely want a PPS number also, coupled the cost of living problems meaning more applications across the board. Resources are tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 59,559 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

@kckcn88 Make sure that you have fully followed all of the instructions for getting off emergency tax at this page, particularly the section titled 'What to do if it is your first job':

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mykrodot

MABS does not (and never has) fronted money! I work for them. They help put in payment plans for debt and mortgage arrears, hammer out deals with creditors. They also give advice about budgeting. They have no cash facilities and do not front money or hand out cash. Community Welfare Officers are the only ones who have this authority. This is dangerous information to spread, particularly in these times when our streets are full of people who have just arrived in the country and staff in public offices (mostly female) are facing threats and abuse every day from people looking for cash handouts.

You might work for MABs but I’m going to stop you right there and tell you that you are dead wrong.

I have personally been to MABs at a time of crisis with an ESB bill when I was very sick at the time. I had been disconnected and there was a €100 deposit required to reconnect & setup a payment plan.

the MABs agent i met with offered ESB €50 right then and there and I would follow up with €50 a few days later. They accepted this and I was reconnected within a day. This €50 came from MABs, I returned it after the bill was sorted because I had it spare and felt I owed it to them.

Im not saying MABs will bail out the OP but they absolutely have facilities to offer some payments clearly. Maybe only some do, but it’s still done.

When was that Raichu? Given the numbers involved I'd say it was a long time ago.

I went through the MABS process myself once over 20 years ago, and never was cash assistance an option, even then.

Once upon a time CWO's gave out emergency exceptional needs payments easily too - a stop was put to all that, when the function was transferred from the Health Boards to the Dept of Social Welfare.

ENPs still available but with much tighter controls and limited circumstances.

• Advertisement

Is the landlord officially registered or is it a casual cash arrangement? Are you a legally registered tenant? A registered landlord will ordinarily request evidence of being able to pay, and you will have likely have paid a substantial deposit. This smells to me of being a casual arrangement where landlord is a tax evader. If this is the case you can always report to Revenue, but you will certainly be out on your own.

Report what to revenue?

“hi my landlords not paying tax on the rent I’m not paying him”

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Seems strange. I wonder did your advisor take it out of their own pocket.

Maybe! My guess would be they kept a small amount of money in a bank account specifically for these reasons? As I said, it may not be every branch or every person but it’s more likely to me they have such an account than the advisor did it off their own back.

Who knows though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Got to laugh at media interns to create a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I think Yflyer is implying that the OP is a media intern.

Which seems feasible, actually - considering some of the fishy details that others have pointed out, e.g. the OP has no credit history, no previous references...

But sure who knows?

• Advertisement

In fairness everyone rents their first house at some stage and I would imagine landlords are aware of this and some will accommodate

Advertisement