Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My landlord is threatening to evict me because of rent arrears, what should I do. Advice seeking!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Which doesn't change anything, the rental market in 2011 was a completely different animal to what exists today. I know that first hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Raichu

That’s nice.

There’s still LL’s who will accept tenants without previously having rented a property. That’s just the matter of fact I’m not sure why you are trying to argue this?

Like do you think my only rental experience has been a property from 2011 or something?

I moved in 2020 also and we didn’t need any reference then. I offered them and they were not interested in seeing any they felt happy enough we wouldn’t cause any hassle (maybe cos we had kids idk).

Anyway, complete aside. Point is to say all LL’s require a reference lest they be cowboys is just not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Ok so you're talking about your experience of the rental sector from over a decade ago.

I'm talking about rental sector in today's market!

I think it would be very hard to find a landlord willing to overlook no references. Those that do are opening themselves up to a massive risk especially when evictions take so long.

With demand so much greater than supply why would they just take someone at face value?

Considering some insurance policies won't cover if house rented to students , renting to teenagers is another massive risk , if they do need to make a claim will the insurance company be abit pedantic on this issue....likely to be an unwelcome headache to landlord so again they'll probably stay clear of this age demographic.

It's all about mitigating the risk.

If you want to rent out a 200-400k asset to someone based on "vibes" knock yourself out.

Sure you did buddy, how convenient. Strange how you didn't use that more recent anecdote to begin with rather than the 2006/2011 era story.

Whats next, banks don't "always" check your credit history?

I’m not a landlord personally, maybe one day I guess, who knows, but if I ever did I’d certainly like to think I’d be more than willing to at least give a person (or persons) a fair shake when considering them as tenants.

If they couldn’t provide me previous landlord references for say some ambiguous or strange reason that felt like BS naturally your risk assessment would raise red flags more than if they had never rented a place before. Then it’s understandable.

Of course you’d expect in that case they could provide some work references. That said I recall a thread very recently I saw where someone as part of taking up a job in the Public sector needed a work reference from a manager or supervisor but was unable to provide such a thing because company policy stated only HR would write one & only upon rendering your resignation.

If the same was true for employees seeking a work reference then they’re SOL there too through no fault of their own. Same as not having rented a place before.

So as for would I rent a house to someone who could not give me references? It depends. If I felt the reasons why they didn’t have references wasn’t complete rubbish and they seemed like a decent person/people I would consider them I’m sure. That’s not to say I’d give them the house over someone with references but I’m saying I wouldn’t rule it out.

• Advertisement

yeah I don’t really care one way or the other if a stranger on the internet believes me.

I never said I rented a house in 2006. It would have been impossible in fact.

Also, I recalled specifically that as it was my first experience and I was making a point that people who rent their first house cannot provide a previous reference so what then?

The whole thing has been morphed way off the original point which was simply that LL’s do rent without having a reference. Especially when it’s a first time renter.

You did say that. That you later decided to change the details doesn't change what you originally said.

This entire derail is because you want to die on the hill of claiming that in 2023 landlords don't necessarily check references, as if it ever had any relevance to the OP and the situation outlined there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

I’ve skin in the game, I’m a landlord of one property, have excellent long term tenants who have never been late with a payment over 17 years. Quite frankly if ever they move out I’d very likely sell up. However if I were taking on new tenants I’d be selective. If I were ever to consider taking in first time tenants I’d certainly want a couple months rent as deposit as well as the usual evidence of the ability to keep paying rent.

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

MABS don’t have any money for customers. Why did you think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Im not sure what you think happened but you didn’t get any money from MABS. They may have negotiated some funds for you from an organisation like the St. Vincent de Paul but I’m involved for 19 years and there simply isn’t any access to cash.

It’s possible you were so stressed at the time that you thought it was MABS. But it wasn’t.

• Advertisement

I can remember quite clearly thanks. It was MABs (there’s only one locally anyway) we had gone through the budget sheet the advisor then rang EI to speak on my behalf to them and at one point produced a debit or credit card and made a payment of €50.

My brother in law was with me at the time also so it wasn’t just myself. I can check with him if you’d like? But I really don’t appreciate that you think I confused SVP or CWO with MABs.

Advertisement