Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Intruder Alarms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Get an iot sim, dirt cheap and nit locked to any network, so unless all 3 networks go down, you should always have a connection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Sound, cheers for that. Any particular plan you went on our do you have to program the Ajax hub with APN settings. Sorry for all the questions!

What's an IoT SIM? I know the letters meaning but is there a difference from a normal SIM?

It's not a case of a network going down, it's just really problematic getting signal here.

Thankfully the hub can be placed up high in the house rather than where the old alarm controller is so I might have some chance.

The internet is solid enough here though. Only had a few days outage in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

You just type in data.lycamobile.ie and then the username is lmie and the password is plus.

You need to enable the option to “disable network check with operator”

very straightforward. No need for a plan in fairness their rates are decent… world sim or IOT sim is of course another option

Cheers again! I'd prefer not to have to top up by X amount every month to keep the SIM active though.

• Advertisement

I haven’t topped up since setting it up to be fair

That'll do me!

Thanks so much. I'm not objecting to the money as such. It's just having to remember topping up at set intervals. And I know you could set a reminder or schedule a top up but with something like a security system you'd want to take as much human intervention out of the mix as possible.

I'm a big fan of the Swiss cheese model of accidents. I've seen it too often in real life where multiple things just had to line up perfectly and boom!

Thanks for your time. It's appreciated.

No prob. You can also set up auto top up but I haven’t bothered

Lyca mobile it is. Their website kept failing on checkout. Down to Dealz for a SIM it was. €1.50 if it doesn't work.

Hub up and running, SIM kind of working with these settings. Thanks for all your help @Pete123456

If Roaming is unticked then I can't send a text to get the balance and showing as unconnected in the hub overview.

Not sure can it do data yet. I might have to get on to Lyca to enable it. Odd it's stating unknown number. We're on the right track though!

• Advertisement

Good stuff, mine is ticked, as is “ignore network registration error”… mine also says unknown number but it makes no difference!. Glad you got sorted

Cheers man! Looks like data woke up over night and I see some traffic logged.

Love the Ajax hub so far and looking forward to adding to it!

It’s very good to be fair, but kinda like Apple stuff - once it’s set up you don’t really mess with it cause it just works

Addictive too though. I've found myself breaking the plan and buying more gadgets earlier than I thought to.

I especially like the fact you can add the RTSP streams from existing cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭mel123

Hi All

Im still reading backwards, but it looks like Ajax is a winner here so im going to research. As a rough guide, how much would this system cost me (as i said i need to research it exactly). Average 3 bed semi, just a rough cost.

Second question, is there a good time to buy? Is anywhere known for summer sales, black Friday sales etc?

Thanks in advance

Have a look on Megateh or similar and you can price up a system - usually if you create an account you’ll get a discount or they can do up an offer for you. Depending on how much you spend they might knock more off.

just depends on how many and which type of sensors, which hub, whether you want add ons like alarms or fobs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭theintern

Just wanted to share recent experience on this.

I priced up an Ajax system on the usual sites, and then looked at homesecure. They do install for €49 and then €30 a month monitoring. But you can cancel your contract after a year and pay them 400 to keep the equipment.

They installed approx 900-1000 euro worth of equipment (keypad, hub, sensors etc), so if I break the contract I'll pay 800 for the year of monitoring plus the equipment, plus a year of monitoring, plus professional installation.

Am I missing something here? Because it seems like this is a better deal than self monitoring and installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭ozmo

Could be - What exactly did they install - how many keypads, sensors, external alarm etc?

And do you get the codes assigned to you after you break the contract so you can admin it (add more sensors etc) and monitor it yourself? ta.

“Roll it back”

Hub 2 Plus, keypad, 4 DoorProtect, 2 DoorProtect Plus, 2 MotionProtect and an indoor siren.

I asked about the admin code when I buy the hardware and they said that they provide it on request.

I'll update here if there are any, but I'm struggling to see the downsides. I can't admin it now, and add pieces or hook it into the home assistant one way integration, but that's not a big deal. The app seems pretty decent to use for a year.

One piece that was mentioned is that the contract break notice is three months, so that's something to watch out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi there, planning on ordering an Ajax starter kit from Megateh, to replace an existing PW alarm. Just wondering in terms of hub placement, if it's a Hub 2 Plus (which supports Wifi), should it still optimally be wired to your router, or can you place it anywhere within Wifi range? I'm wondering if I can locate the hub where the old PW control panel was located, and it power can be supplied directly via the mains, rather than via a plug/socket (as the old alarm was wired directly, and there are no sockets nearby).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just to reply to my own question, the Hub 2 Plus would work fine on Wifi/Cellular alone without the need for a wired ethernet connection, but the ethernet is more reliable, so it just wasn't worth the trouble of positioning it where the old Phonewatch box was located. Supply into the old Phonewatch control panel was standard domestic supply, so would have been easy to use it to power the Ajax hub. Got the hub, siren, keypad plus, and sensors all mounted and wired up in a couple of hours. Very nice and straightforward piece of kit. Great that it works over longer distances, as it made it simple to add sensors in the shed at the back of the garden.

Anyone have/use the curtain sensors? Just wondering how pet-proof they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Has anyone had any dealings with 'Best Alarm System website? I'm looking at pulling the pin on a full alarm package for my home from them with a price tag of €1140 all in as opposed to €1300 approx with Megateh. Another crowd Securigo are coming in somewhere in between however they appear to be having some stock problems as my cart for their site is a mixture of black and white sensors etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

What video cameras are you using with Ajax?

Arlo have end of lifed all of my cameras, so I need to find something new... Preference for subscription free and wireless connection... Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

I've used all three.

See what their minimum order for free delivery is (if they offer it) and split between the three for best price per item if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

To help me what Lycamobile plan. Any plans I see need a top up after 30 days.

If someone can recommend a World Sim I'd consider that as well

Thanks

As far as I remember you simply don’t select a plan. I’ve tested my system showing people how it sends photos to my phone and for 2 months without any broadband and in 1.5 years I’ve used about €15 credit without signing up to any plan

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭caddy16

Did you go ahead with this, interesting to hear if it works out?

I did. Happy enough. 30 quid a month for the monitoring etc. All the equipment was installed well by the installer. You also get a box mounted on the wall outside which I was happy about. An external visual deterrent.

No access to manage the system as you'd expect, but I plan to likely not renew the contract in a year and pay the exit fee.

You use the home secure app and it works grand. No complaints.

Hopefully by the time my contract is up there'll be a Home Assistant integration.

One additional point on the above. If you're going with Home Secure, go through exactly what kinds of windows you have in advance. How many openings etc. I ended up with an extra 2 euro on my monitoring monthly charge because the installer needed to add a device. I'm sure I could have had that waived if I'd noticed in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I never heard of an additional monitoring charge due to more sensors. The monitoring station only communicates with the panel regardless of the number of devices connected to it.

Many people avoid paying €30 per month for someone to phone key holders to tell them that their alarm is activated by "self monitoring".

Advertisement