Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smart Intruder Alarms

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just to reply to my own question, the Hub 2 Plus would work fine on Wifi/Cellular alone without the need for a wired ethernet connection, but the ethernet is more reliable, so it just wasn't worth the trouble of positioning it where the old Phonewatch box was located. Supply into the old Phonewatch control panel was standard domestic supply, so would have been easy to use it to power the Ajax hub. Got the hub, siren, keypad plus, and sensors all mounted and wired up in a couple of hours. Very nice and straightforward piece of kit. Great that it works over longer distances, as it made it simple to add sensors in the shed at the back of the garden.

Anyone have/use the curtain sensors? Just wondering how pet-proof they are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Has anyone had any dealings with 'Best Alarm System website? I'm looking at pulling the pin on a full alarm package for my home from them with a price tag of €1140 all in as opposed to €1300 approx with Megateh. Another crowd Securigo are coming in somewhere in between however they appear to be having some stock problems as my cart for their site is a mixture of black and white sensors etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

What video cameras are you using with Ajax?

Arlo have end of lifed all of my cameras, so I need to find something new... Preference for subscription free and wireless connection... Any recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

I've used all three.

See what their minimum order for free delivery is (if they offer it) and split between the three for best price per item if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

To help me what Lycamobile plan. Any plans I see need a top up after 30 days.

If someone can recommend a World Sim I'd consider that as well

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Pete123456

As far as I remember you simply don’t select a plan. I’ve tested my system showing people how it sends photos to my phone and for 2 months without any broadband and in 1.5 years I’ve used about €15 credit without signing up to any plan

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭caddy16

Did you go ahead with this, interesting to hear if it works out?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

I did. Happy enough. 30 quid a month for the monitoring etc. All the equipment was installed well by the installer. You also get a box mounted on the wall outside which I was happy about. An external visual deterrent.

No access to manage the system as you'd expect, but I plan to likely not renew the contract in a year and pay the exit fee.

You use the home secure app and it works grand. No complaints.

Hopefully by the time my contract is up there'll be a Home Assistant integration.

One additional point on the above. If you're going with Home Secure, go through exactly what kinds of windows you have in advance. How many openings etc. I ended up with an extra 2 euro on my monitoring monthly charge because the installer needed to add a device. I'm sure I could have had that waived if I'd noticed in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I never heard of an additional monitoring charge due to more sensors. The monitoring station only communicates with the panel regardless of the number of devices connected to it.

Many people avoid paying €30 per month for someone to phone key holders to tell them that their alarm is activated by "self monitoring".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Pete123456

I think that’s how homesecure “upsell” their customers. Everything over 7 (I think) sensors - fobs, tags, cards, water sensors, fire, smoke etc etc - each of which are €X per month extra if you go with Homesecure monitoring I believe.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If you read my previous messages you'll see why I went with them.

Going with Home Secure and paying the exit fee from their contract after a year means getting the same alarm system for significantly cheaper than buying it directly, and included monitoring for a year and installation.

So if it meets your needs, buying an Ajax kit from the suppliers mentioned in this thread is "best avoided" if you want a good deal.

Personally I don't see any part of the €30 a month as a "good deal" or the whole "upselling" approach mentioned in post 362 above 😉

I take your point that you avoid an exit fee. Each to their own 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭caddy16

If it's cheaper to pay the €30 a month for 12 months and an exit fee ( and getting it installed) than buying it direct as most people on this thread have, how is it not a good deal.........

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Because a lot of people are very understandably suspicious that it will actually work out that way.

The parent company has a long history of completely deactivating systems and turning them into paper weights when you stop paying the contract.

Maybe it will be different for you this time, I hope it is, but for people who know the history and how the industry works, they remain extremely suspicious of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Can you explain this? Are home secure blocking peoples systems even when they are fully paid out of their contract? I have a three year contract with them and an agreement that after that time I can cancel the monitoring service and get all of the codes to take over the system myself.

The parent company has a long history of completely deactivating systems and turning them into paper weights when you stop paying the contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Sounds like they've done it in the past with other systems but don't see how or why they'd do it with Ajax.

They'd only stop whatever communication of your devices into their server (if any).

I was assured before I signed up that I'd be given the engineer codes so I can configure the system myself.

Advertisement