Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fast X

• 02-05-2022 11:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,485 ✭✭✭✭

Louis Leterrier will replace Justin Lin as the director 

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

I have just realised that I never saw ‘Fast 9’.

Have seen the rest plus Hobbs and Shaw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,977 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The Transporter 1 and 2 are a decent grounding for a 'Fast' director anyway, so hopefully will do an alright job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

He did the clash of the titans remake too?

that wasn’t the best now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Leterrier is the very definition of a ‘workmanlike’ director. Just a bunch of vaguely competent but (at best) aggressively mediocre films.

But we are talking about Fast & Furious here, a series that isn’t exactly auteur-driven cinema. Unless you count Vin Diesel as an auteur of sorts 😎 For all the good work Justin Lin did on Fast 5 - arguably the only really rock solid film in the series, at least IMO - he also directed several of the more silly, anonymous sequels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Me either but I heard it is absolutely terrible.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I'd have agreed with you on Leterrier completely were it not for The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, which was really quite good, and I imagine an absolute nightmare to direct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,100 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,485 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Added to the list with Brie Larson, Daniela Melchior and Jason Momoa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,875 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The great Rita Moreno joins the cast as Dom & Jakob's Grandmother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,233 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Trailer out.

Talk about cheesy, the family, the family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I’ve seen the first two films but not had the opportunity to see the rest.

What exactly is the series about? Is “the family” a gang of criminals who use cars in their crimes? Or are they good guys who help people?

I know I will watch them at some point if they are on Netflix or Prime but I’m just curious about the gist of it all (other then mad stunts, etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,206 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In short, they've gone from small time criminals stealing DVD players by driving fast, to working for a secret government agency to take down global terrorists by doing ridiculously convoluted and nonsensical stunts with cars, and also driving fast.

They've kinda become the good guys rather than criminals simply because of the level of destruction emanating from their stunts, as the films are pretty much designed around the stunts/action scenes.

But most of the films are a fun watch. They're just dumb, cheesy fun. 4-7 are decent watches.

Just leave your brain at the door.

Thank you. So it is kind of like KNIGHT RIDER times 10,000 ?

I enjoy big dumb fun but the never never had the urge to go to the cinema to see them (which is probably the best way) - I have seen a couple of trailers and got annoyed at the amount of times the word “family” is used.

Yeah the "family" thing gradually becomes so overdone that it's the main source of cheese in the films. It doesn't even feel tongue-in-cheek at this stage.

I saw part of the trailer.

How do Vin Diesel and Elsa Pataky’s character have a sim who is black?

I don't think the child or actor are black, just have strong Central/South American genetics.

No I think he is black - as “African American”.

I googled to see if you are correct and that lead to photos of the character I. A previous film and that kid looked like he is South American but the this new kid is a complete different skin colour.

The new actor is Leo Abelo Perry, who was in Cheaper By The Dozen and a TV special of Beauty And The Beast. At the very least he's mixed-race. Either way they're casting for ability rather than skin tone. It could just be poor lighting in the scene from the trailer (he's inside a car and so would be more shadowed anyway).

Besides, he's Vin Diesel as a child:

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Trust me, Dom's kid could be Asian and it'd still be more plausible than 90% of the movie.

Cast for acting ability not looks in a Fast and Furious movie? You jest, surely.

No doubt though we are headed for movies and TV shows were diversity overshadows logic in regards casting.

• Advertisement

It's already one of the most diverse casts for a big franchise. The central cast has actors/characters who are black, mixed-race, latino, asian and white. Even then casting a child actor who looked more Hispanic/Latino would still be logical casting and also diverse casting. Dom has Carribbean/Central-American heritage, and Elena (Elsa Pataky’s character) was Brazilian.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Of all franchises, the Fast one doesn't need to worry about diversity. And as Penn said, logic has been in the rear view mirror for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,233 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I'll be honest I thought Vin Diesel was of Italian heritage.😕

You misunderstand.

I referring to the boy being black despite neither parent being black and your comment that he could Asian and still make more since than the rest of the film.

What I meant I see diversity casting going truely mad and casting for example a tv show about a black dad and white mum having a biological child that is Asian

I think Vin Diesel himself does have some Italian heritage, but I think they changed it for Dominic. When Cypher's talking to John Cena in F9, she says something about it was only when she researched him that she realised the Toretto's have some Nordic DNA too, I guess to show why Dom and Jacob can still be brothers despite the differences in their skin tones etc.

No I get that, I was saying that the actor they chose (who is mixed-race) could still reasonably pass for being Dom & Elena's son despite being more dark-skinned, as their characters both have strong Central/South American heritage, and that they cast for the best actor who could reasonably play their son (given that the actor they chose has had some decent roles and performances). My comment about having the child be played by an asian actor was just a joke given the unbelievability of everything else in the film.

Likewise in my above post, they cast John Cena as Dom's brother despite Cena being white, and they added in a line of dialogue to try explain it away and just ignore it. Again, they're casting for who best fits the role above all else.

If you have issues with how diversity in casting is changing or that it's "going truely mad", that's a whole other discussion I'm not interested in having.

I’m all for diversity but I was not trying to start a discussion on it. It was a comment and I didn’t expect or need a response.

I was bored of all the white people on screen.

The example I gave above was something I can see happening. That is the mad that I was talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Homelander

Never ceases to amaze me how we got from the first movie, a movie about street racing, heisting electronics, and undercover cops, to what we have now - a bunch of people who can drive well saving the world from nuclear annihilation/rogue nations/bond-like villians, venturing into space, driving between skyscrapers, and whatever else.

Just because they're good at driving cars.

No, but, y'see, they're really good at driving cars!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've seen a not entirely insane suggestion that the Fast franchise has basically morphed into a superhero franchise itself; where the cast are basically invincible super-humans, driving cars also their superpower.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think they literally say this in the last movie, with the lads getting blasted into space on a car/rocket having a conversation wondering if maybe they actually really are invulnerable superheroes, given how impossible it is that they've all survived all these crazy events.

Brie Larson character Tess is the daughter of Kurt Russell's Mr. Nobody

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,100 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Hobbs and Shaw are rumoured to be in it (Dwayne Rock and Statham)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,277 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

saw this last night.

it is mental. A lot of plot points just seem to happen.

But it is good un. I prefered it to Fast9, which i thought of as one of the weaker ones. Opening set pieces are very good, some excellent effects and stunts. Mid point dragged a bit for my liking. End is bonkers, so many times.

Movie is very much setting up its own sequel though, which I think harms this movie; a lot of set up without pay off.

I've seen it described as Infinity War to End Game, but I think Infinity War was far more self contained - it was a full story on its own. This, is not, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The review gut on Virgin Media Ones morning show this morning gave this film a 2 out of 5 so below average.

I think it's just a turn off your brain popcorn film. I however stopped watching the fast series after 8. Never seen 9 and have no interest in this.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

If you like fast movies, you'll like this. If you don't like them, this wont change your mind, imo.

I do like them, so I enjoyed this.

• Advertisement

That was Fast movie for sure totally over the top everything with some bad CGI and completely fun if your going to see it know what to expect and it doesn't let you down on that. Two hours of pure popcorn.

Jason Momoa just steals the movie with his completely camp performance in his role and you can see he is having so much fun playing the part.

Also Alan "Jack Reacher" Ritchson  has gotten even more jacked if that was even possible and he will look like an even bigger monster in season 2 of Reacher.

John Cena's face is getting more rubber by the year he could actually take over from the late Jim Varney and start playing Ernest P. Worrell.

Reading today that they will be filming scenes for 11 in Ireland.

some of the cgi is bizarrely bad. One point at the end I was asking why it was CGI in he first place. For a movie that does so much practical stuff, some of the CGI stuff is just weird.

There was a CGI effect at the end of the first act that I thought was incredibly well done though, to be fair. maybe they blew their budget on that!

Also, I have seen this described as Infinity War to Endgame. I guess in terms of it being a two parter. But Infintiy War was a much more complete film than this is; this is very much half a story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭sioda

After watching F9 last night this seemed very grounded 🤣

Enjoyed it tbh they fitted a lot in good set pieces and good set up for the next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw this earlier and it's ridiculous. The dialogue is terrible, the acting semi comical, Brie larson is hilarious. There's a scene where she beats the daylights out of a couple of heavies which is comedy gold. The average bloke would eat a woman's punches and then throw her around like a ragdoll. This trying to rewrite the biological differences in strength between men and women has resulted in some of the most unintentionally funny scenes in the history of cinema. It's the same with Charlise theron and a room full of commandos. And Jason momoa, who i thought was great in dune, plays it like a coked to gills gay popstar from the 1980s. The MC hammer pants and everything..........all of that said, I actually enjoyed it way more than I should've.

I've been wondering....Will they do a full deepfake of Paul Walker for the final film and have him there for the last "Family Dinner"

His daughter had a cameo in this one so I doubt she or his family would be against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Muller1991

Went to see this last night, exactly what to expect from the series. As with the rest of the series all you have to do is sit down turn the brain off and eat popcorn, Will I go and see the sequel(s)? Yes I will lol

To summarise , Bad CGI and Family lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭noahungry

Didn't like it, but, yeah, it's pretty much what I expected too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement