Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

Have an Ioniq 5, and we drove from Cherbourg to Bergerac last year (~900km).

Was pretty easy tbh, a reasonable amount of planning using A better route planner, stayed at hotel with charge point. Almost exclusively used Ionity chargers. We never had a wait, and if we had it wouldn't have been too bad since chargers are nice and quick.

More locally, there's a plethora of ac in a lot of local departments.

It definitely seemed to me that motorways pointed to and from Paris were better served with good fast DC though. And randomly the DC network near Nantes looked a bit sparse. Our route was inland via le mans/ poitiers because of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭webpal

Looking for advice on a bike rack. I don’t have a tow bar so will need that if getting a tow bar mounted one. As a result my preference is for roof rack with bike carriers for 4 bikes. Short to medium term the roof rack would get more use after holidays. Anyone any experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Doug Stamper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

We had five of these on our roof going to France last summer.

That's almost certainly too many, as our roof is only rated for 75kg. It also took at least forty minutes to get the bikes on as they needed to be fitted so tightly together. It involved reversing pedals, raising/lowering saddles, and lots of wiggling and repositioning, to make them fit. It will be easier with four bikes but still hard work. Make sure to alternate the racks; forward facing beside rear facing; as that will make it easier. Adult bikes on the outside and kid bikes in the middle should also help (if the kids are young enough that their bikes are smaller).

If you don't already have roof bars, you can get compatible ones on the same site.

Thanks. Are they noisy? Would you get to 130kmph with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

I didn't notice them being particularly noisy but you're going to get some increase in noise with multiple bikes on the roof. I don't know about 130km/h. For my own peace of mind I limited myself to 100km/h when I had the bikes on the roof, and tried to avoid sudden braking and went as gently as possible around sharp turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Jack0125

We are staying in Pin Parasol in July. A lot of posters recommend puy du fou park for a day trip

Is going with Kids that are 4, 7 and 9 too young? It seems to be a long day trip. Is it more suited to older kids?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Doug Stamper

We visited last year with three all under 6 and they loved it. The Colosseum and the medieval village were their highlights. If you get a chance to go through the WW1 trench on your own (adults only) then do. Bring plenty of water if the weather is hot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭medic112

Regarding Pou du Fou - its an amazing attraction. It's a long day but the effort is more than worth it. it's a mostly open air performances so hats/suncream are an absolute must. Bathrooms/rest areas/cafes etc are every where. We bring those very light cotton blankets to cover heads or legs etc while sitting in the sun. Be there for opening time & you'll get a days program on the notice board on entering & plan your day from there. Its a massive site, The absolute musts to see ~Le Signe du Triomphe (colosseum) ~Les Vikings ~Le secret de la lance ~Le mystere de la Perouse (if to warm go in here/its kept cold) ~les chevaliers de la table round ~Le bal des oiseaux fantomes (bird show) ~Les Amoureux de Verdun (WW! trench). With good planning you should get 4/5 shows in. We have been 7 times over the years & are still impressed with it. It really is a 2 day event. The night show ~Cinescenie is truely wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭garden

This might be helpful for anyone thinking of going to vendee

https://www.in-vendee.com/good-deals-special-offers

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭garden

We went there last year kids were 12, 8 and 6 we loved it. We all did the war trenches but your 4 year old would be too small. The bird show and viking shows were spectacular. It rained for us so and the seats were wet so maybe bring cheap ponchos for just in case.

Don't miss this place beside Pin Parasol https://www.grand-defi.com/ we had an excellent day out here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭McSween

We are going to book Camping Sandaya Côte de Nacre for Easter. It looks lovely. Has anyone stayed there. 90 minutes from Cherbourg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Folks,

Could anyone recommend a campsite which within walking distance of a town? Anywhere between Vendee and La Rochelle. I'm thinking I might get camp fever and would love to be able to talk to a town for a stroll without taking the car.

cheers

J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Bel in La Tranche sur Mer but it's a very small site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Going on from the recommendation for Puy du Fou, anybody in the Nantes/Loire-Atlantique with kids would be well recommended to visit Les Machines Des Lile.

I was there with an 11 year old last year and she thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a great day out and good value too. Book in advance for the elephant ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 garrethr

Staying in camping du jard in La Tranche sur Mer this year. It's a small bit out of town but they have a shuttle bus. Camping Bel also meant to be good, closer to town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

does anyone know if say you had booked in a larger car on the ferry but were now taking a smaller one with less height and length you can put on a roof bag, maybe a bike rack, if it falls withing the max size booked?

Where is the best place to get the equipment needed for driving. Triangles, high visibility vests etc. do we still need lights to be adjusted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Mick's garage for much of that stuff, but for the light alignment I understand that it's not a requirement on all vehicles as light design changed (or so I'm told). I think it might be based on whether you have in-cabin light adjusters or auto-leveling. You would be best off checking in the vehicle's handbook or with the main dealer as the beam-reflector companies will tell you that all vehicles need adjustment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In terms of high-viz, you can get them free from the RSA: https://www.rsaorders.ie/index.php?route=product/category&path=71

As for lights, many modern cars now have adjusters where you can easily switch from LHD alignment to RHD and back. As @10-10-20 said, check your handbook.

Some cities (Lyon, Aix-Marseille, Toulouse, Nice, Montpellier, Strasbourg, Grenoble, Rouen, Reims and Saint-Étienne) will require you to have a clean air sticker for your car called Crit'Air vignettes. You can get the sticker from the following government link (English page version available) - ignore any agencies that offer this service!

Thanks both of you. We will be staying on the Normandy beaches, north of Caen. And not planning on visiting anywhere except Honfleur, Deauville maybe.

ordered the vests and will check the car book to see about lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,104 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Bayeux is worth a visit if you're into historical stuff. Obviously the tapestry is the main attraction and really worth going to see, but the town itself is very nice as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭JimboJones99

Heading to La Ruisseau Campsite in Bidart, near Biarritz, for a week in late June with 2 kids and 2 grandparents. Hoping it will cater for all ages!

Is there anything that anyone would recommend to see or do in the surrounding area? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,152 ✭✭✭✭josip

In Biarritz itself there's a nice 2-3 hour coastal walk on the south of the town, staring around the the surf club and up to the old harbour.

San Sebastian is worth a half day trip.

Depending how old the kids are (10+) they could try surf lessons. Cap Breton further up the coast is good for newbies and little uns. Not sure what Biarritz is like for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭necstandards

Need some advice. 6th year getting ferry cork to roscoff in July for 2 weeks, but this year we've booked to 2.5 week (getting Tuesday ferry back from roscoff). Typically we stay in the vendee region. Now that we have a few extra days at the end, im not sure how to spend these. Was thinking of Disney land (lads are 6 & 8) but thats decent drive, so not sure..

Getting slightly board of the 12 nights in a campsite by the sea.. would there be any recommendations on something between Nantes & Paris for a few days?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Stay in a campsite in the Loire valley? Have done it many times and there is loads to see and do.

I'd say that your two lads would love the likes of the Tank Museum in Saumur (it is an enjoyable few hours for all).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Has anyone done the Roaslare to Bilbao trip? How was the full day on board and in July were you able to just hang out on the deck in the sun or is it still very breezy and chilly?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

We did Cork to Santander a few years ago. We found the time went by easily, the novelty of the boat, and exploring it always passes an hour or two. We always bring a laptop too for movies. We've never spent much time on deck, as it's often quite windy. We go out for a peek and then back in. Maybe if you've got jackets, scarves etc you'll manage if it does turn out to be cold or windy?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭medic112

necstandards - not exactly in between but ZooParc de Beauval is excellent for 2 days. Got a good 3 nite package with there hotel Les Hauts de Beauval too but had booked months in advance. Really enjoyable seeing the panda bears.

• Advertisement

Just wondering if anyone has been to Camping Les Chouans? Not seeing alot of reviews.

Haven’t stayed but I did look into it before. Seems nice, not sure on clientele as you would never come across it here so guessing that there would not be too many Irish. Nice area across from forest and Dino park but probably would need a bike (bike path outside gate) or a car as shops etc would be a bit away. I think at the time we chose camping Les biches which we thought was too far out but it was a toss of a coin. Have passed it many a time since as we since stayed in Solagogo a few times and the slides look good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

Hi

we are travelling to Frejus for the first time. Were staying in an apartment for 10 days prior to spending 10 days at La Baume. Any recomendations on getting from Nice airport to Frejus (should we book a transfer in advance? approx cost?) and also any advice would be most welcomed. feel free to pm me

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭yiddo59

St Jean de Luz about 10 miles south of Biarritz is well worth a visit. Beautiful beaches and a really nice town with some lovely Basque houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Colm82

Trying to work out budget for our trip to domaine des Ormes for 10nights in July. Three small kids staying in euro camps aspect lodge. Never been on this type of holiday before and I have read conflicting information about what comes included in the price with regards kids activities etc. Likely will eat out for lunch or dinner most days and cook the rest. Anyone have idea of a daily/weekly budget? Not looking to scrimp but want a decent idea of a daily budget. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hi. We stayed at La Baume last year and used a guy called Olivier for the transfer. Not cheap, €140 each way but was a nice air conditioned Mercedes 6 seater. If you want his number feel free to pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Jack0125

My experience of other Eurocamp sites,

The Pony trekking (13euro a head for an hour i think) or mini golf (4euro). Zip lining or go carts might be additional as well.

Food wise, Im going to be more shrewd this year (Naive last year). The carrefours and super u's are same price as Irish premium supermarkets (if not more expensive for things like chicken and beef).

This year I will definitely be focusing on getting a big lidl shop. Get the own brand ice creams and snacks. Avoid having to buy ice creams out everyday. Eating out, especially for a family of 5 not cheaper than Ireland in my opinion. (France is not cheap for eating out, for example like Spain would be).

I think you could budget food from your Irish food lifestyle as it currently is. Regarding activities, last year we found we did no day trips as the campsites/kids clubs kept you on site most days with an odd morning or evening at the beach.

Domaine des Ormes would have some nice part day trips to Mont St Michel or St Malo and the only cost would be parking.

Thanks Jack0125 lots of useful information there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Have gone Brittany Ferry for many years and this time with extended family we are sailing to Cherbourg this year. Grandparents won't travel beyond 1 hour from the ferry!!

I'm finding it impossible to find any camp sites with decent pool facilities. We started on campsites with a few pools, slides, lazy rivers etc and the options close to Cherbourg look dismal pool wise.

Would anyone have any suggestions please within an hours drive of Cherbourg?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Can't vouch for them personally but this one gets very good reviews and is certainly less than an hour from Cherbourg. That part of the Manche peninsula is very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Are the AA the only option not w that roadside is gone and the adac is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

AA was the only one available last year, didnt need it thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

Anyone drive cherbourg to paris (disneyland). all booked up, looks like about a 5 hour drive. Are tolls accepting card? any good spots to stop halfway for lunch?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Did it last summer. We went from Des Ormes to Paris and then back to Cherbourg.

A grand drive, plenty of service stations on route to stop at. You won't be stuck.

You can just tap the card at the tolls, handy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭GeneralSherman

Hi Colm82

Experienced camper here with 4 kids, we have stayed at Les Ormes a couple of times but last time was about 7 years ago. I would suggest to think of your budget as if you are holidaying in IRL - whatever that would be for your family. We are all different.

Food is certainly no cheaper than IRL in the supermarkets and eating out is not cheap either for a family of 5 so do a Lidl shop for the basics and avoid the more expensive supermarkets. Buy multipacks of icecreams etc. Our routine around food was crepes/eggs/cereals/croissants for breakfast, lunch was baguette and salads, dinner - pasta with barbecue & salads. There is a takeaway onsite at Les Ormes but long wait time when we were there and there was a fancier restaurant on site also which was good but more expensive. There is a games room and icecream/waffles onsite which will suck your money but the free entertainment is outstanding. Les Ormes is about a 10minute drive to the nearest town. We got takeaway pizza there but didn't eat in a restaurant as such... would recommend going to St. Malo one evening for dinner. If your kids are young and have favorite things to eat such as a brand of butter or cheese I would suggest bringing those with you - everything else you can get there. I used to pack one small box of food/kitchen things and put it in the car - when it was full it was full. The knives are blunt out in the mobiles, used to drive me nuts !

• Advertisement

Last year when we arrived in Roscoff, it took about 1.5 hours to get disembarked and through customs. We were parked on the top floating deck so that explains why we were slow to get off the ship.. so what is the loading strategy. arrive last second and hope to get on the lower deck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

How useful is the speedy exit for getting off the WB Yeats in Cherbourg? My previous experience travelling to and from the UK without speedy exit was that it probably took less than 10 mins to disembark and be out of the port

Obviously that was the Swift and the Yeats is a bit of a bigger boat, so probably takes a bit longer

Would it be something like 20-30 mins to get off the boat and be on the move, or more like 40-60 mins?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We got speedy exit last year. You get off the boat a few minutes quicker but the big difference is you get through passport control much much quicker because you're at the top of the queue. We ended up on the road a good 40-45mins earlier than the previous time we went which can make a big difference if you have a long drive ahead of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Any advice or recommendations 3 kids and a dog. Kids are 10,8 & 4 . Seasoned travellers but normally home swap or apartments. More worried about the dog as never travelled with a pet before. Going from 5th of July to 5th of August so can move about. WB Yeats. Thinking between Nantes and bordeaux . Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
Advertisement