Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭webpal

That exactly what we did. If you are interested drop me a pm as I brought home a few brochures of all the beaches and museums which would help plan the day. We had not been before and I never realised how many sites there are.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭dedaw

Thanks for the replys and info regarding my query.

Can ships sailing to France accommodate 6 for overnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Peckham

Yes. The booking system will force you to book either a "reserved seat" or cabin bed for each individual, but a no reason why you can't just book one 4 bed cabin (plus 2 reserved seats) and then all 6 of you sleep in the cabin with kids going "top to tail" on the lower bunks. We've done it with 3 kids and 2 adults.

It's not luxury, but perfectly adequate for one night!

I think Stena do a 6 bed cabin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

they do on the Horizon

They have a second ship running in the summer and it has different cabins including a cabin with 4 beds but one of the bottom bunks is a double, so fits 5 but you might squeeze a 6th (small child) in the double . From the photos it doesnt look to be the largest of beds though but could work for 3x smaller kids .

BTW, as I already mentioned, that new stena ferry also has cabins for pets so might be a game changer for some people who dont want the dogs in a kennel for 18+ hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭rex_turner

I was able to book 6 (2ad 4ch) into one 4 berth cabin with Brittany-Ferries this year. It will be a squeeze but its saves €260 or so (return) by not having to book an additional 2 berth.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭BullBauld

2023 holiday finally booked. Le Littoral for 10 nights.

Sailing out with Irish Ferries and back with Stena Line. Stena had no cabins on outbound sailing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 idontknowdoyou

We were thinking between Le Littoral and Les Brunelles and went with Les Brunelles. Who did you book with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Has anybody got any reasonable car hire quotes yet? I got a price of €650 on 3rd Jan for a decent SUV in Nice for 10 days, kicking myself that I didn’t book and now approx €1050. This was with Rentalcars / Enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 what the heck

I would agree with Frejus. Lovely town, nice beaches, fireworks in the harbour in the evenings (went Aug). We stayed in Holiday Green, which is a little more economical than La Baume and a little further out of town. Family in the mobile beside us didn't hire a car and just used buses and transfers to get about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭BullBauld

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tobdom

We are planning our first ferry trip to a campsite in France (Escale Saint Gilles / Sandaya) in June this year. We've done significant research on the choice of location/accommodation, so are relatively happy on that side of things.

My question is on the ferry, similar to some already asked above recently, but would love to hear from those who have done it before.... We are 2 adults / 4 kids, and my current plan is to just book a 4-berth cabin on Brittany Ferries (Pont Aven), which seems to be allowed on the booking site (i.e. not forced to book anything in addition to that, even though we are 6).

The question is will we manage OK like this. I'm happy enough to sleep on the floor in between berths if needs be, but I think we could squeeze the 4 kids into the 2 lower berths and everyone will get at least a few hours sleep!

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

You mightn't need to book a seat depending on the ages of the kids. You could get a blow up single mattress, foot pump and place on the ground, that would do the job for the 2 smallest.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭rex_turner

We are also a family of 6 and have travelled many times on the Pont Aven (the first time as a couple while expecting our first child!). You can take the mattresses off the bottom bunks and put them together on the floor and then stow away the bed frames - one of them turns into a sofa so one child could possibly sleep on that and 3 on the 2 mattresses together or just top and tail on the bunks - whichever you think would cause less fighting! Most important thing is that the driver gets a comfortable bed - although you'll have a quick enough drive to Benodet in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,792 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

What's the current rules for COVID vaccinations entering France?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tobdom

Thanks a lot ShamoBuc and Rex for the responses.

Rex, that kind of first hand experience is what I was looking for, and sounds like great advice regarding the bottom bunk and how to set the kids up. Excellent, thanks again! Will likely go ahead and book today then, exciting! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

Is there much difference between Italian and French campsites or is it the same idea? Have been to a good few Italian sites and might try France this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭dedaw

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MelachiT

Does anyone know if Irish Ferries has any offers on at the Holiday World Show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Have an Ioniq 5, and we drove from Cherbourg to Bergerac last year (~900km).

Was pretty easy tbh, a reasonable amount of planning using A better route planner, stayed at hotel with charge point. Almost exclusively used Ionity chargers. We never had a wait, and if we had it wouldn't have been too bad since chargers are nice and quick.

More locally, there's a plethora of ac in a lot of local departments.

It definitely seemed to me that motorways pointed to and from Paris were better served with good fast DC though. And randomly the DC network near Nantes looked a bit sparse. Our route was inland via le mans/ poitiers because of this.

Looking for advice on a bike rack. I don’t have a tow bar so will need that if getting a tow bar mounted one. As a result my preference is for roof rack with bike carriers for 4 bikes. Short to medium term the roof rack would get more use after holidays. Anyone any experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doug Stamper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

We had five of these on our roof going to France last summer.

That's almost certainly too many, as our roof is only rated for 75kg. It also took at least forty minutes to get the bikes on as they needed to be fitted so tightly together. It involved reversing pedals, raising/lowering saddles, and lots of wiggling and repositioning, to make them fit. It will be easier with four bikes but still hard work. Make sure to alternate the racks; forward facing beside rear facing; as that will make it easier. Adult bikes on the outside and kid bikes in the middle should also help (if the kids are young enough that their bikes are smaller).

If you don't already have roof bars, you can get compatible ones on the same site.

Thanks. Are they noisy? Would you get to 130kmph with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

I didn't notice them being particularly noisy but you're going to get some increase in noise with multiple bikes on the roof. I don't know about 130km/h. For my own peace of mind I limited myself to 100km/h when I had the bikes on the roof, and tried to avoid sudden braking and went as gently as possible around sharp turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Jack0125

We are staying in Pin Parasol in July. A lot of posters recommend puy du fou park for a day trip

Is going with Kids that are 4, 7 and 9 too young? It seems to be a long day trip. Is it more suited to older kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doug Stamper

We visited last year with three all under 6 and they loved it. The Colosseum and the medieval village were their highlights. If you get a chance to go through the WW1 trench on your own (adults only) then do. Bring plenty of water if the weather is hot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭medic112

Regarding Pou du Fou - its an amazing attraction. It's a long day but the effort is more than worth it. it's a mostly open air performances so hats/suncream are an absolute must. Bathrooms/rest areas/cafes etc are every where. We bring those very light cotton blankets to cover heads or legs etc while sitting in the sun. Be there for opening time & you'll get a days program on the notice board on entering & plan your day from there. Its a massive site, The absolute musts to see ~Le Signe du Triomphe (colosseum) ~Les Vikings ~Le secret de la lance ~Le mystere de la Perouse (if to warm go in here/its kept cold) ~les chevaliers de la table round ~Le bal des oiseaux fantomes (bird show) ~Les Amoureux de Verdun (WW! trench). With good planning you should get 4/5 shows in. We have been 7 times over the years & are still impressed with it. It really is a 2 day event. The night show ~Cinescenie is truely wonderful.

Advertisement