Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin 1Gb now available.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭deravarra

What kind of range outside the house are you getting? I sometimes like to do a bit of work on the laptop in the garden when the weather is good - but the speeds arent always great the further away I am from the house. Does the Orbi 852 have a good signal in your garden? And what kind of speeds can you get on your new 1Gbps using the Orbi 852?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Anyone else noticing more significant ping/lag during peak times. Been running thinkbroadband for while to check ping and while it has also had huge spikes randomly. I've noticed a good while now for me that during any peak time I'm getting slammed with increase ping/lag. Gaming is impossible when this is happening.

Attached today's. That's how insane its getting.

I know the latest modems still use PUMA which has issues, but this is pretty insane how bad it has gotten. Is this VM just over selling an area with insufficient capacity

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Is this a thread or post on this thread that details how to get the most out of the 1GB service when connecting the hub to a mesh network? I've the hub connected to a Orbi AX4200 mesh network and I'm only getting circa 90mb off it. We've just moved house and I was previously getting 750mb +.

Any links or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bigjez79

My gigabit connection to a Samsung S10+ over WiFi 6 ...beside the router. My set-up is Netgear rax200 into the gigabit hub 2 with CAT8 cable. Similar results over wired device with Cat7 Cat6e cables. They were good speeds as upload tends to fall to 34 mbps.

I see a number of gigabit connections with better Ping than I can get though so I have some issues when gaming as it's not stable.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Seeing a speed of 90mb, I'd be suspicious that one of your ethernet cables, switches or the device itself is operating at only 10/100 (max 100mb) rather then 10/100/1000. Id say check all your cables, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

Do a factory reset on all ORBI devices , start with the Orbi router ( make sure no Ethernet cables connected to it during the process). Press and hold pinhole for about 1 minute, until power led light starts blinking rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Hi,

New Virgin Media customer here. Modem arrived today - model number is ARRIS TG3492LG-VM. Seems to be running Hub 2.0 software. Just logged into and it seems very basic in terms of functionality - e.g. there are no options to change the DNS, put it into modem mode, or configure a DMZ. Am I missing a hidden menu somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

You are correct - but you can get "modem mode" by contacting tech support and requesting to be assigned an IP4 address (or IP4 mode).

Personally I found the Arris modem to be underpowered when hit with many connections and use it in modem mode to an old WRT router and it all works great.

As an aside, my modem got taken out by lightning last Sunday, a quick DM to support on twitter and I had a service engineer show up before I had even seen the appointment email!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭OU812

Wonder if that means they’ll introduce a 2gb product to existing clients. (That’s what Siri is capable of, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

Yeah they have a 2Gbps product.

The backhaul connection itself is 10Gbps (XGS-PON).

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

Hi, Just purchased a new build and VM 1gb is availible (FTTH) However, when looking on their T&C it says 30gb a month, I'm a heavy user and would exceed this most days. Does anybody know what their usage is actually like?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭EarWig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

is the virgin modem provided linked to a house or linked to account holder?

i mean can i connect my virgin modem to neighbour house (virgin enabled but not using it yet - new build)?

will that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

got virgin 1 gb plan but only getting speeds of 240 mbbs -whys that

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Is that wired via Ethernet or Wireless? There are many reasons why you might not reach the full potential of the connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,547 ✭✭✭micks_address

stand beside the router and repeat the test... you won't get anywhere near 1gb wireless.. even with the orbi wifi routers i have i don't get much more than 450mb on wifi.. wired speed test is about 920mbps

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Yep exactly, wired test will tell you what you're actually getting. If you want to get speeds approaching 1gb you're going to need a Wifi6 capable access point or router. The bottleneck could also be your phone/laptop depending how old they are and their support for WiFi 4/5/6

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

To start with, check what you are getting if you use a wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭deravarra

What device are you using to get those speeds?

I have an orbi with wifi 5 - on a 1GB plan. I am regularly getting 600mb speeds on my galaxy s22plus

I was going doing a wireless test to check my speed supposed to be getting 1 gb getting 240 on wifi-i got an ethernet cable one side for the modem but the other side doesnt fit into the laptop obviously got the wrong one whats the name of the cable that fits into laptop port from modem

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

That's called an Ethernet cable. Are you sure your laptop has an ethernet port in it? Quite a few laptops do not have them, especially ones with smaller screens. So you may have to get an USB to Ethernet port adapter

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Even when a laptop (or pc) has an Ethernet port they may only be up to 100Mbps. Also check that you are using a decent Ethernet cable - cat 5e or above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Anymore on VM opening up their residential network to other providers? I'd have though that with Siro and Eir reaching more areas that they'd be trying to push this through quicker,

It's a no brainer for me that once siro is available I'll be signing up as a new customer to get the cheap package for the year. Obviously if I could sign up with a new company and stay on the Virgin infrastructure I'd probably just do that.

The big problem is that VM is so expensive it can't compete.

If they use other providers what will they do about prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Horses for courses really. At least they will make something rather than losing customers entirely. TBF there 250mb broadband for new customers at €40 per months for 12 months is a good offer. I'd happily get that over what I'm paying currently. €70 per month for 500mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

I cannot wait until I can finally get SIRO which is hopefully soon. For years now with VM (250Mbit for 64E currently) and never had an issue. Super reliable and I always have full advertised speed but their annual price increases are really going on my nerves so for that reason alone I am leaving as soon as I can.

I know that you can always renegotiate once they increase the price in January but it gets old at some stage.

With SIRO (at least for now) I can sign up for 1 year for 35E with a lot of providers (500Mbit), cancel and move on to the next provider for 35E. Just rinse and repeat. As the fibre optic cable is already there (owned by ESB) all I have to do is to switch out the modem for the new provider.

That's almost as easy as changing electricity companies as again the lines are owned by ESB.

Can't wait and then VM can charge 80E for their 250MBit offering in a few years for all I care :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

Pulled the trigger to upgrade from 500Mbs to 1Gbps on Friday, with first 9 months reduced. After no movement apart from an order confirmation email on Friday, contacted support who tell me my new modem should be here tomorrow.

Amusingly, after contacting support, my account details switched from 500/50 to show 1Mb upload (below). Does everyone on the 1Gbps package have that typo? I assume upload will stay at 50Mbs, and that this doesn't portend an actual upload improvement to 100Mbs (which would be very nice and far more useful to me than faster downloads, but anyway).

I'm guessing that if I reboot my Superhub 3 tomorrow, I might see faster wired internet speeds somewhere between 500Mbs and 1Gbps, as my account will soon be provisioned for 1Gbps (reluctant to try this right now as my partner is teaching online this evening).

I assume the new modem will be equivalent to the UK Superhub 4, and not the 5?

Has anyone successfully gotten the VM Ireland Superhub 3 or 4 to bond/aggregate two ethernet ports to their WAN router when in modem mode? As I have a 2.5Gbps capable home NAS and a few Wifi 6 clients, I also have a new Wifi router arriving tomorrow which supports up to Wifi 6e and 2.5Gbps, and I believe can bond two 1Gbps ethernet ports for the WAN uplink.

(I already have IPv4 enabled on my account, and hoping this will carry over to new modem without needing to contact support).

Post edited by MugsGame on

Advertisement