Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin 1Gb now available.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

schmoo2k wrote: »
    The only real trick is to:
    1. Disable DHCP on the old routers
    2. Ensure the IP range matches your main router attached to the modem
    3. When plugging it into wired backhaul do not use the WAN port

And for many folks, this would be a little tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

deravarra wrote: »

I should have pointed out, that you only need those steps if you want your devices to be visible to other devices within your home. Ignoring them and you would still get internet.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

There is literally no difference between plugging a separate high quality router into a virgin modem, then plugging a mesh system into the same virgin modem.

The exact same configuration steps are required in both cases.

If you are non techie, then just plug either directly in the modem and do nothing else and both will work without configuration.

If you are a bit more technically inclined, then it is a good idea to put the virgin router into modem only mode. It will work better then and really isn't a difficult thing to do.

All of the above is just as much true for a mesh system as it is for a separate router.

bk wrote: »
    There is literally no difference between plugging a separate high quality router into a virgin modem, then plugging a mesh system into the same virgin modem.

The exact same configuration steps are required in both cases.

If you are non techie, then just plug either directly in the modem and do nothing else and both will work without configuration.

If you are a bit more technically inclined, then it is a good idea to put the virgin router into modem only mode. It will work better then and really isn't a difficult thing to do.

All of the above is just as much true for a mesh system as it is for a separate router.

Orbi and Deco both had apps which took care of everything. You just had to find a socket to plug the things into.
    Most people I would come across would not know or want to know anything about configuration unless it is on an easy to use app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Consonata

We're struggling to crack 500mb here at the moment even though we're on gigabit.
    Our house was installed with the UPC boxes in each of the bedrooms, so if I got a coax to ethernet adaptor, would that work no trouble to just plug the computer directly in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Orbi and Deco both had apps which took care of everything. You just had to find a socket to plug the things into.
    Most people I would come across would not know or want to know anything about configuration unless it is on an easy to use app.

The Asus I'm using has a very good app, no need to access the router at all if you don't need the more advanced features. The quick start leaflet was very good.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    The Asus I'm using has a very good app, no need to access the router at all if you don't need the more advanced features. The quick start leaflet was very good.

The AX11000 I had came with a very handy app - unfortunately the speeds dropped to 1Mbps for prolonged periods of time. Got rid straight away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Consonata wrote: »
    We're struggling to crack 500mb here at the moment even though we're on gigabit.
    Our house was installed with the UPC boxes in each of the bedrooms, so if I got a coax to ethernet adaptor, would that work no trouble to just plug the computer directly in?

No it won't work as the cables are generally are not connected to the modem - they are usually combined at a splitter somewhere in the house or in a box on the outiside

How are you testing your speeds - wifi or ethernet?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭slith

Hard to get over 500mbps over wifi, not many devices support it, and the theoretical 1.3 gbps of the ac protocol would require 3 antennas.

If you are used wired connections you may be using cat5 ethernet instead of cat5e? cat 5 would be limited to 100mbps.

The AX11000 I had came with a very handy app - unfortunately the speeds dropped to 1Mbps for prolonged periods of time. Got rid straight away :)

Awful looking yoke.. bigger isn't necessarily better... Reviews are patchy enough looks like you got a dud. You're sorted now which is the main thing.

• Advertisement

The cabling to those sockets can be very poor quality, my house is wired with those sockets too but the centre core is very flimsy I haven't used them in years.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

And a separate router doesn't even need an app *, you simply plug it in and use it!

* many wifi routers do have an app if you want to do some custom config

Third party Quality router:
    - Plug ethernet cable from new wifi router into Virgin Media modem.
    - Plug power into new wifi router
    - Use new wifi router, no config necessary.

Mesh System:
    - Plug ethernet cable from primary mesh node into Virgin Media modem.
    - Plug power into new mesh node
    - Plug power into other mesh nodes.
    - Use app to set them up.

Neither is difficult, but strictly speaking the Mesh system requires more steps. So I really don't know what you are talking about!

And a separate router doesn't even need an app *, you simply plug it in and use it!

* many wifi routers do have an app if you want to do some custom config

Third party Quality router:
    - Plug ethernet cable from new wifi router into Virgin Media modem.
    - Plug power into new wifi router
    - Use new wifi router, no config necessary.

Mesh System:
    - Plug ethernet cable from primary mesh node into Virgin Media modem.
    - Plug power into new mesh node
    - Plug power into other mesh nodes.
    - Use app to set them up.

Neither is difficult, but strictly speaking the Mesh system requires more steps. So I really don't know what you are talking about!

Yes, you do :)

Most (if not all) *New* routes/mesh systems have an app which help with the setup process.

Older routers which can be repurposed for use in a house as AP's (such as one other poster mentioned earlier) do not have apps to help with setup process and will have more hands on steps to get set up correctly.

Now, that should be clear - shouldnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

I'd just like to say that us SSH via PuTTY power users and IT professionals have been feeling a bit left out of the conversation recently :D

And most modern networking devices designed for end users with or even without a handy app are straightforward enough.

Really it's a case of read the manual and follow the instructions, failing that there is usually a setup wizard that initially helps ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Right, orbi arrived yesterday.
    Far from blown away I have to say...
    Put the Arris VM router into modem mode, connected it to the orbi router.
    Have one satellite in my bedroom and another in my eldest lads room.
    About 20 feet between the router and first and second satellite and one floor , not a huge house but some thick walls and there are some black spots.
    The most disappointing is the speed in the sitting room when I am basically on top of the router , only getting 540 ( I was getting this from my airport extreme when I was on the 500mb package) though I would get closer to the 1gb.
    Maybe I just need to mess around with positioning them....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

sham69 wrote: »
    , only getting 540 ( I was getting this from my airport extreme when I was on the 500mb package) though I would get closer to the 1gb.

Why did you think that WIFI 5 system could deliver 1gb speed wireless?
    Did you buy ORBI RBK 853 perhaps?

alec76 wrote: »
    Why did you think that WIFI 5 system could deliver 1gb speed wireless?
    Did you buy ORBI RBK 853 perhaps?

Because it said speeds up to 3gb?
    I was expecting to get over 600mb at least as was getting close to that on my 500mb package on cheaper equipment as previously said...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

Because it said speeds up to 3gb?
    Oh no , forget about it . It is combined speed 5 GHz + 2.4 gHz + 4x4 MIMO backhaul.
    You could get up to 600 Mbps ( probably 620 ) , on some good android phone , 540 Mbps probably top speed for Apple's WiHi 5 .
    And if you are looking for sub gigabit wireless speeds , it is different price range altogether.
    Something like this
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-RBK852-Orbi-Tri-Band-System/dp/B07W8XFZ6X/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2P415IOZ8PBAG&dchild=1&keywords=rbk852&qid=1616084775&sprefix=rbk%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExSTFOTDczT0g5R1hYJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjc5ODczMzQxOUZaVVgxV1lSWCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjM1NzgzM0pRNlBYTEFGVjRNUiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

Is it correct that if you change to modem mode Virgin media wont give you technical support as your not using their equipment?

Would it mean any issues for the TV?

rafi bomb wrote: »
    Is it correct that if you change to modem mode Virgin media wont give you technical support as your not using their equipment?

Would it mean any issues for the TV?

This just means they won't give you technical support for your wifi, etc.

They will continue to give support for the TV service and actual broadband service coming into your home.

• Advertisement

This just means they won't give you technical support for your wifi, etc.

They will continue to give support for the TV service and actual broadband service coming into your home.

Ah thank you. Was using some deco m4 and I started having drop outs over the last few weeks. Want to try the virgin router in modem mode to see if its a conflict between it and the Decos or just the bb itself that is the issue

Put the Arris VM router into modem mode, connected it to the orbi router.
    Have one satellite in my bedroom and another in my eldest lads room.
    About 20 feet between the router and first and second satellite and one floor , not a huge house but some thick walls and there are some black spots.
    The most disappointing is the speed in the sitting room when I am basically on top of the router , only getting 540 ( I was getting this from my airport extreme when I was on the 500mb package) though I would get closer to the 1gb.

What device are you using for the speedtest?

I was getting 600+ Mbps from the RBK 53s on Hub 3 on a (mistakenly given) 1Gbps package to a samsung galaxy s10 plus.

Edited: back working

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭BigMoose

rafi bomb wrote: »
    I have now moved to modem mode on the Virgin router. Is working but for some reason I can't find a server on speed test .net to do a speed test.

Is this because of the router being in modem mode

No, something is going on with speedtest.net as I couldn't find a server either. Seems to be OK again now though on my phone app but am getting an error when using a browser.

BigMoose wrote: »
    No, something is going on with speedtest.net as I couldn't find a server either. Seems to be OK again now though on my phone app but am getting an error when using a browser.

Ah cheers. It seems WhatsApp, Facebook and Instagram messages are down too.

I picked such a time to change to modem mode, thought I had ****ed it up ha

What device are you using for the speedtest?

I was getting 600+ Mbps from the RBK 53s on Hub 3 on a (mistakenly given) 1Gbps package to a samsung galaxy s10 plus.

Sorry for delay in replying .
    Getting around 400+ all over the house which is not bad.
    I was getting my full 500mb downstairs off my airport extreme so no change downstairs. Upstairs has improved so have to be happy with that.
    I suppose i was just expecting a bit more.
    A mate in work is using the Google nest mesh and he's getting 800+ around his house. Maybe I should have went with them. Considering returning the orbis...

Sorry for delay in replying .
    Getting around 400+ all over the house which is not bad.
    I was getting my full 500mb downstairs off my airport extreme so no change downstairs. Upstairs has improved so have to be happy with that.
    I suppose i was just expecting a bit more.
    A mate in work is using the Google nest mesh and he's getting 800+ around his house. Maybe I should have went with them. Considering returning the orbis...

Can't understand how your and mine are so different.
    How close is your mate to where you're living?
    Any chance you could try your device on their network and see if you're getting 800+ as well?

Can't understand how your and mine are so different.
    How close is your mate to where you're living?
    Any chance you could try your device on their network and see if you're getting 800+ as well?

Mate is Dublin 8 , southside and I'm Dublin 7 Northside.
    I will say the internet is more stable through the orbis but the speed is disappointing but speed isn't everything I suppose , the stability is more important. I might do a bit more repositioning, might daisy chain one of the satellites off the router or something like that. Cheers for reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

gibgodsman wrote: »
    I love all the posts from people who have no idea about how internet works, 1GB is absolutely great for most people, good luck streaming 4K easily with a 100Mb connection.

You want to jump on the game streaming bandwagon with Stadia or Xbox Cloud Gaming? That 250Mb will struggle BAD.

If your using your internet to its fullest, steaming in 4K, downloading games, watching on multiple devices, 1GB is a huge benefit, those suggesting 100Mb on 40+ devices is a good idea, id love to see how bad your kids ping is in anything they play online

Wow, there's some real irony here, given that this post doesn't reflect someone who understands how the Internet works either. High Bandwidth does not necessarily mean Low Latency and vice versa. In an ideal world, they may be synergetic but there are many factors affecting both including congestion and distance from the server etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

gibgodsman wrote: »
    I love all the posts from people who have no idea about how internet works, 1GB is absolutely great for most people, good luck streaming 4K easily with a 100Mb connection.

You want to jump on the game streaming bandwagon with Stadia or Xbox Cloud Gaming? That 250Mb will struggle BAD.

If your using your internet to its fullest, steaming in 4K, downloading games, watching on multiple devices, 1GB is a huge benefit, those suggesting 100Mb on 40+ devices is a good idea, id love to see how bad your kids ping is in anything they play online

My 4K LG TV only has a 100Mb wired connection, should I be worried? (Haven't had any issues buffering over the last year and the OLED looks great with 4K content)

Advertisement