Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Three Ireland 5G

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

So i walked into to three store today, checked phone - no 5G indicator, despite enabled.

Asked guy is it enabled? if is, would it apply to my old fashion plan? What it takes to get it if does not apply

First he said something about need to resign new contract, some other bs, then said it will be activated from 1st Feb, then corrected himself it would apply to all and any type of account including mine old fashion 30d rolling.

Thanked and walked out.

On the way home reached for a phone to make a call - 5G on and connected. measured ~300/50

Go figure ...

checked at "home area" - available, speeds nothing impressive, 100/40

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭feargantae

That's Three being Three it seems! Meanwhile I'm still waiting for mine to be activated after being told 3 times by Three that it would definitely be activated within 24 hours! Even had one fella tell me he would "personally" make sure it was done within 24 hrs... That was a week ago!

Lads sorry to be posting so much in this thread but I finally got this resolved with 3. The fella kept telling me my plan wasn't 5G compatible, when I pointed out the text received said 'all plans, all customers' he then tried to say the entire website is a "glitch" but if I switch to the new plan I can have 5G. Ironically it was him to told me a week ago that he'd make sure it was added within 24hrs! He said this is because they're promoting the 5G plan (??) but my plan still is not compatible. I said it was v misleading and wanted to chat to a higher up about it.

I understand your concern, but you can not add 5 add-on on [*] as this plan is legacy plan and does not support 5G and this is correct information I'm providing you hope you'll understand and that will be appreciated. Even manager can't add 5G add-on on this number.

I pressed him and said either way I want to chat to a manager about how misleading this whole thing was. Then sure enough straight away after he asked "technical support....

Perfect I've added 5G add-on on number [*] now you can restart phone and enable 5G from phone it will take some time and then you can use 5G as per availability.

Tl;dr if the agent gives ye a scéal about not being able to add 5G to the old keep your credit plan they're taking shíte and if you press them they'll add it. They're obviously being told to do what they can to get people to switch plans.

Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I am going to get a new phone soon from 3. I am also planning to buy a new laptop as well.

If I do get a new 5G phone with 5G broadband on a 3 billpay contract. How long does it take for them to check my credit rating from the bank to get approval for it?

Do I need to set up DD's on my account in advance of applying for the contract?

If I do buy a new Windows 11 laptop; the major OS updates that happen once or twice a year; it will require a lot of data to download and install it on the computer.

That's a good reason why I am considering getting the 5G billpay broadband on it. I will also use it to play games on steam as well. Those things are no good while using prepay broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭One More Toy

On the legacy keep your credit plan, getting 5g in Dublin City tonight. Speed test of 300mbps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Is there really a 30GB limit on the prepay broadband plan? Seems really low!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 cshk

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/5478162546

Managed to get above 1000mbps for the first time at College Green

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭reniwren

Anyone know if 3 are needing around with their network in the Carlow area, up until Friday was able to get 180-350mbs but now seems 30 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

Hi. I have a 3 ireland bill pay sim and a 3 ireland pre-pay sim. I can get a 5g signal on the bill pay sim, but not on the pre-pay sim. From looking at their website their pre-pay offerings seem to include 5g. Do I need to activate something or upgrade to a new sim?

5G does not appear to enabled on mine "old fashion" prepay card either. Same time old bill pay card has it without asking to activate nor giving my details to them. see #604

you could call them and ask , i guess. I was told that i need "new contract"

Post edited by smuggler.ie on

• Advertisement

I had bought the Oppo A77 5G from the three website over the weekend.

I got it on prepay for €220. I had it delivered in the post yesterday. I was going to get it on billpay. However my passport has to be renewed to get on the billpay contract.

I was doing these speeds on the prepay plan via the speedtest app just before lunchtime today.

The speed is really impressive on the download side but not so much on the upload side.

These speeds were recorded about a mile away from the main street of Blackrock in Co. Dublin.

This is a month now I've had 5g for 'free'. I'm on the legacy 20e keep your credit plan, I've no idea what's happening, it just appeared one day and the speed tests confirmed it. Better than my fixed broadband at times

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Not getting great speeds using my oppo router on 5g ,

Compared where I work I'm getting ,500mbs at least on my phone,at home the connection doesn't show 5g at all

do you use it in the phone?

perhaps there is still chance mine gets enabled

Yes I do indeed, an oppo also. But I have the phone nearly a year before 5g magically appeared. I have noticed my battery not lasting as long, whether that's due to 5g or just deterioration who can say

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

3 is having an outage with their 5G broadband in Dublin at the moment. Their 4G connection via the router works perfectly with them for now.

Éir and Vodafone are having outage issues around the country within the past 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Came looking for this info Dyblinman, thanks.

It's a nightmare. None of my apps are working properly since the outage, anything that involves verifying a purchase in my banking app (which is everything) doesn't process.

Is it too tinfoil hat to wonder if there's a hack or something happening that all the networks are out? It's been days now.

Anything is possible sure but if it was a hack we would know about it. Too many involved that it wouldn’t get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The unit changed!

Off The Point where 3 have a very visible NR transceiver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭thebo

Did everyone on legacy €20 keep credit plan get 5G added to account yet?

Chat said should get added before end march

Yep, see above for the hassle I went through getting it added though! Also got 4g calling and WiFi calling added a few days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭thebo

Does three ever throttle data speeds based on usage?

The data on my phone has gone down to 4G over the weekend. Has anyone else's 5G signal switched off on their phones because of an outage which occurred recently?

Still getting 5g here in Kildare.

Afaik they don't, think they "reserve" the right to though. They used to have a 2TB limit but during covid it was removed and made unlimited.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

Just got this added. How do you enable the 4g and wifi calling though? I am on carrier settings from last December and I don't see where to update them and I don't see an option on my phone to activate wifi calling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

Advertisement