Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Servicing Costs in Ireland

Options
  • 02-02-2023 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭

God be the days when you could get a full service done on your car for €120........

Brought my 2016 Rav4 Diesel to a garage for a full service last month - cost €310 although that also included fitting new rear brake pads.

Hate to see what the main dealerships are charging if independent garages are now looking charging the above?

Post edited by brokenbad on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,899 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

My local independent here in the UK is £55 an hour labour. (he is particularly good at old cars which is what I usually have) Just to give you an idea to compare with across the water. I source the parts myself as they are hard to get and makes life easier for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It really depends what the service includes. Theres different parts/consumables required at different service intervals.

310 with brakes isn't a standard' service.

That said. I've 15 year old diesel car and service cost is around the 200 euro mark. Sometimes less depending on consumables replaced.

Anything to do with a car is not cheap nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Full service plus rear brakes for €310 wouldn't be bad, it's over €140 for the cheapest parts online. Stick some overhead on that and it's hard to see where the garage makes a buck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Got a full service on a 2019 2L Skoda Superb done yesterday for €200. Nothing extra that warranted a call to check if price was ok was required. I thought it was a good price from a good independent garage.

I’ll be leaving the 1L petrol Citigo in next week for a full service and will add the cost here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Tech_Head

2016 Ford Fiesta - 7 Year Service coming up and set price of €170 at main dealer. Brake pads etc will be extra if required but this is pretty reasonable to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭User1998

My mechanic charges €35 for a full service if I bring my own parts. So it works out around €75 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭gussieg

That's a rare diamond

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

2014 insignia serviced today. Cost 370 which included rear brake pads which were 145 supply & fit. Used Opel main dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

As a someway link to this thread, anyone recommend a good mechanic in the Lucan/Ballyfermot area? I've given up on my usual guy as he hasn't been responding to any calls/messages and had one of my cars for over nearly 2 months last time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Secret Seven

How's this for a service cost! €359 for a first full service. Had to take it to a main dealer as it's still under warranty. Would normally use an indie garage.

Still in shock at the price charged 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Birka

Main dealer Skoda servicing is quite reasonable and includes a years breakdown assistance (the above is an example for a 2021 model). The €219 service includes air and pollen filters.

You could have just went elsewhere and used OEM parts and your warranty would still be valid?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Tech_Head

You can pick up those air filters for ~€5. They’ve charged you 9x the cost and then fitting on top of it.

I know, but the garage I bought it from are not the easiest to deal with. I'm sure that had I done that, they would find any excuse to invalidate the warranty and I can't run the risk!

Its EU law, nothing they can do about it.

Oil and oil filter probably would have ran you about €120 elsewhere.

Yes, I was quoted €150 in another garage! You live and learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Did you not get an estimate before going ahead with the service? I don't really understand why people complain after paying. Get an estimate beforehand and tell them to ring you first before doing any further work outside of that quoted price. No nasty surprises then when you rock up to collect your car.

Also the EU block exemption is great in theory but in practice with any warranty claim it will be up to the owner to prove that manufacturer recommended parts were used and guidelines followed. Make sure you have all your ducks in a row with detailed receipts but not so easy if your paying cash to joe the mechanic in his shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Holy cow!. First full service with the main dealer cost me €115. What make was it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Looking at the receipt, it looks like it was a Renault

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Explains a lot. Had Renault years ago and servicing was always exorbitant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

One of the main reasons I started learning about working on cars a few years ago,

I'm doing a few jobs on my brothers 2012 Astra 1.7cdti, oil and filter, fuel filter and front brake pads, 100 quid all said and done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭brokenbad

I always do be sceptical when i read this kind of stuff on my service report - I know from past experience 2 days after a previous service, my windscreen washer fluid ran out despite the service report saying "all fluid levels checked and topped up where necessary"

Box ticking without doing any of the actual checks.

Needless to say i never went back to the garage in question since.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭griffin100

The first service on our Arkana was similar, but the second service was only around the €200.

My indy charged me €400 last month for a full service on a 2017 G30 520D including front pads and the fitting of 4 new shocks ( I supplied the shocks). I thought that was ok given that BMW charge over €600 for a service and they wanted €3k to supply and fit the 4 new shocks (I got the shocks on AutoDoc for €430 delivered).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭creedp

Thats just classic cut and paste. A few years back a non dealership garage told me my rear brake pads were 80% worn and at best would need to be replaced in the next 2 months. Reality was they weren't replaced until after 2nd subsequent service. My experience is if you avoid every dealer who tries to pull a reasonably innocent fast one, you'd be travelling a lonnng way to get you servicing done

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

I paid €335 today for a full service and new front and rear brake pads on the wife's Opel Insignia. This was done at the local indy garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

My engine light is on so brought it to a garage in a industrial estate not a dealer, they repaired a broken wire to egc, replaced a track rod and tie rod for nct test, here's the invoice for 566euro, I think it was excessive but it's says 7 hours at 60euro an hour, what do people who knows these things think?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

it's says 7 hours at 60euro an hour

It doesnt say that exactly. Is says seven at €60 but the seven could be half hour slots rather than hour slots (i.e. three and a half hours in total) - this would be @ €120 per hour which I'd expect from many garages nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭blackbox

Do they ever change brake fluid on a standard service?

Most cars specify it should be changed every 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

Ok so that is for the computer test? I wasn't sure if that was for Labour so I was thinking 7 hours to repair a wire and a few other seemingly small jobs but am I right in saying it's the computer test is where most of the expense lies and that invoice is not excessive, just felt walking away that I was being duped because I don't know these things but I don't mind paying if it's all above board

Advertisement