Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Servicing Costs in Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Mech1

Some cars you could be waiting up to 45min for the puter to finish running it's "Quick test" of all modules and spitting out a report. Before that you gotta get it parked in the diag bay, find a free puter plug in and connect the battery support system etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

No, something like brake fluid is only on request AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

So why was my car on a computer test for 7 hours and charged 60 euro an hour for it or 420euro

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The labour charge is for various jobs including the computer diag but also replacing the the rods and as I said you are assuming the seven on the invoice is for an hour whereas I reckon it's seven half hours.

Anyhow, why didn't you ask them to explain the charge at the time?

He did explain it just that they repaired wires for the egr and that I need a new timing chain now on top of this bill so that's all I was really thinking about when I was talking to him, so why would it need to be on the computer for 3.5 hours when some diagnostics takes less than an hour? Maybe I should have asked that but it was only when I studied the invoice after I realised that was most of the invoice expense.

• Advertisement

But if you don't understand what exactly you paid for then you asked the wrong questions.

As for rhe labour cost, I have no idea why you think the diagnostic check took the bulk of their time. They also changed a track rod and a tie rod amongst other jobs. All of the jobs added together took time which I reckon was three and a half hours (seven by 30 minutes).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭User1998

It wasn’t on the computer for 7 hours

You would have been charged about an hours labour for the diagnostic and the rest of the labour is for the rest of the work they carried out. Probably another hour for the suspension parts and then the remainder for the other bits of work

According to your logic you were charged 3.5 hours labour for connecting a computer but got all the other work done for free.

I was just going by the invoice but I'm probably not reading it right, I just thought I'd query it here for some other input but I'm feeling a bit better about it now that it doesn't really look like I was overcharged or no one here is saying I was overcharged. I know I didn't ask the right questions when I should have and it was only after I started to think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Secret Seven

I did know how much it would be beforehand! In fact I queried the price as the garage I bought it from was only charging €300! I didn't want to go back to them however so reluctantly agreed. I also said I did not want any work done without being told. Luckily it didn't need anything. I'm not that naive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

I got a full service on a 2017 1.6 superb

oil change, Air filter, pollen filter

Timing belt and water pump

€630

On Skoda its coming in at €840

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Forked out €450 today for a Full Service, Front New Brake Pads and Brake Discs on a 2016 Diesel Rav4 (independent garage)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭zg3409

I have found main dealers that perform "service" on parts that are not due replacing according to cars handbook service schedule.

First I recommend checking car handbook that says what needs doing at what mileage. Then check service history if you have it and determine what needs to be done. I got a discount in the past for changing the cabin pollen filter myself, no tools needed, drop down glove box.

You only really need to do things in the book at specified mileage or time to keep your warranty. Outside of warranty about main dealer like the plague.

Beware even main dealers may not use recommended oil nor change filters even though they claim to have done it. At least if in warranty with main dealers they should fix big issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭mburke

Looking for a full service on a Kia and the main dealers websites says Full service from € 329 euro. It doesn't say what is included but that does seem expensive as a starting point. All main Kia dealers have the same info page.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That raises some interesting questions about compliance with competition law, if all dealers are charging the same

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

These €200 full services. Do they include spark plugs, brake fluid or engine air filters? Any time I see people mentioning "full service" they never know what was done. How do you spend that much money and not know what was done?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Goose81

Spark plugs and brake fluid are not regular service items, they are only changed after multiple services usually, spark plugs I assume most cars go past 60k and the same with brake fluid.

A standard service is both filters and an oil change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm not saying spark plugs or brake fluid are regular service items, I'm just wondering what people consider their full service if they're €200 or less because to me a full service is a major service, which with my VW was every second year where something was done in addition to oil/filter. Could be engine filter one year, spark plugs another.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

Got a full service today on a 12 diesel avensis was 296 with fuel filter but not cabin filter also advised front drop links need doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Murt2024

Lads honestly yere getting fleeced. A Service should be no more than 150 euro on any car for oil change and filter. Are ye not asking the price before they do the job?

• Advertisement

Oil change and Oil filter.

Car is a 2011 Skoda, got it at 180,000kms, now 310,000 kms. That's all I ever got done unless the NCT tells me I need anything else done but has sailed through it last three years. I've gotten new brake pads and Tyres and that's it since I've owned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭con747

Mine costs €75 for all filters and oil, I do it myself. Well worth it for people to know how to do basic car servicing even though we will probably all be driving Electric cars in the near future! I do most of my own servicing that doesn't need a car lift.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Not too bad. Maybe was a bit over the top with 150 but that's what my local guy charges me. 150-200 seems probably accurate, well outside of Dublin myself.

My lad probably making 75 off the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SamB13

Just paid €335 for a service (Oil + filter, air filter) and front pads for a 151 VW Golf. That is a local mechanic, seems a pretty high price

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭chrisd2019

Had the two cars in my household serviced since Christmas, the hourly rate was 85E.

However I did notice that on one car was invoiced for 6L of oil but the manual and online research says the car takes 4.5L.

Also the price charged for the oil is 50% more per Lt, that what I can buy the same oil in a 5L drum from my local motor factors. Strange as I would have though bulk purchase in 200L drums would be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

A mechanic mate services 5 yokes for me on a Saturday, grabs computer from work. Ours, my ma's n sisters. I'd whip wheels off, fill oil etc. probably spends 5 hours at them , he's happy with bit of cash n I'm happy no fleecing , no oil change etc actually done!

Advertisement