Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland De-Facto Visa

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Miladoll

You can't apply for a work permit while in the country on a short stay visa. You should check the Department of Education and Skills website for the qualifying criteria for a work permit and especially this page, https://www.djei.ie/en/What-We-Do/Jobs-Workplace-and-Skills/Employment-Permits/Employment-Permit-Eligibility/Ineligible-Categories-of-Employment/, for what categories of professions that are ineligible for a work permit.

You also cannot apply for de facto while in the country on a short stay visa, see the defacto page on the immigration website. http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/De%20Facto%20Relationships

As far as I know, you need to provide proof of living together for at least 2 years. 

Dear Sirs,

I would like to inquire about DeFacto. I am a Trinidadian citizen , with resident unconditional stamp lived in Jamaica. I met my partner (Irish) in Jamaica 2015. We have been together for that period to present. We have been traveling to Ireland since 2016 for holidays. He had an expat job in Jamaica for the duration. 

On the 24th July 2021 we decided to move to Ireland, he has been looking for a a job here. I am on a non-visa required password and was permitted 90 days holiday. 

Since then time has passed as we planned on making an application for Defacto however due to abit of traveling during the 90days , not much has been done. 

We received an extension for my stay for another 3 months to process, however I am overwhelmed by the Webpages and forums how to proceed. 

Known that I have an extension, would I need to leave and apply for for a preclearance letter for a long stay visa or can I pursue under my extension ?

We lived together while in Jamaica however due to the nature of his Job his lease is not in our names but the companies name , we have a private landlord. 

I have read the horror stories , We want to make an application without delays , spending excessive monies to fly back in and out . 

Dear Sirs,

I would like to inquire about DeFacto. I am a Trinidadian citizen , with resident unconditional stamp lived in Jamaica. I met my partner (Irish) in Jamaica 2015. We have been together for that period to present. We have been traveling to Ireland since 2016 for holidays. He had an expat job in Jamaica for the duration. 

On the 24th July 2021 we decided to move to Ireland, he has been looking for a a job here. I am on a non-visa required password and was permitted 90 days holiday. 

Since then time has passed as we planned on making an application for Defacto however due to abit of traveling during the 90days , not much has been done. 

We received an extension for my stay for another 3 months to process, however I am overwhelmed by the Webpages and forums how to proceed. 

Known that I have an extension, would I need to leave and apply for for a preclearance letter for a long stay visa or can I pursue under my extension ?

We lived together while in Jamaica however due to the nature of his Job his lease is not in our names but the companies name , we have a private landlord. 

I have read the horror stories , We want to make an application without delays , spending excessive monies to fly back in and out . 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I would recommend having a read through this thread.

It's been a few years since I went through the application with my partner. The process took 8 or 9 months. She was on a student visa at the time.

I don't think you can go directly from a holiday visa to the De Facto visa (i.e. stamp four), so you might have to leave Ireland at some point and then return if and when it's approved.

Sounds like you have been living together for more than the required amount of time, so that's good. Maybe get a letter from your partner's company confirming his address in Jamaica, and then your can get some confirmation from your side that you lived at the same address. That way it would match up.

Do the application as best you can, submit it. They will probably come back to you to look for a second round of documents anyway.

Thank you , appreciate it . Was your application success ? The only problem is he wouldn’t be able to go back to his company for confirmation of the address so we are going to ask our landlord to confirm as he lived on the said premises as our cottage.

the timeline is crazy oh my the thought of spending monies to go back and forth tears me - do you know if Northern Ireland is consider a whole or under the UK jurisdiction?

most of what we read stated defacto has to be submitted prior to , the cases are spiking with COVID and exposure I hope their will be some kind of leniency if not I will have to leave and return using our time to combine our documents. If you have any recommendations of docs will be nice I have an idea but with experience tend to know abit more .

did you submit to Dublin or send to the nearest immigration guarda ?

how long did your get for stamp 4

thanks again was delighted to see a response.

being a non-eea and my partner away from ireland so long we both feel at loss with standards rules etc and as much advise we can get will go a far way especially when we can decipher what is helpful and additional knowledge cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fra87

Hello everyone, I have been reading the last pages of conversation and I have some questions as I'm sure some of you has looked into this better then me. We are about to file an application for a de facto visa as my partner (5 years) will want to move to Ireland next August. He is an American citizen and I'm Italian and I was wondering if a de facto visa gives my partner work rights in Ireland. He will want to apply for jobs and I want to make sure that he can do it while in a de facto visa. Also, how long did it take for your applications to be successful/unsuccessful? Thanks a million!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

De Facto Partner is a preapproval process, It has to be approved before the Non EU Partner arrives in Ireland. Id get on that ASAP as the De Facto Apps take a while to get approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ExpatBuyer

Hello

I am currently living abroad with my partner and I am considering moving to Europe.

She can qualify for the De-Facto visa as far as I can see, I am wondering would this allow to live anywhere in the EU or strictly just Ireland?

Thanks in advance for help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 L.Riley

Hey guys. Have a question here, hoping somebody knows the answer to. We got out de facto letter granting the permission to register recently but there weren't any instructions for the registration itself, just "register in person together with your partner". We reside in Dublin and this won't be my first registration (change of circumstances, moving to stamp 4 from another stamp). On previous occassions I've been told not to attend Burgh Quay without making an appointment. For the life of me I can't find any information on how to make it and whether we should make it at all or if it is alright for us to just show up with the letter. The online appointment system has been replaced with a phone number but that is only used for first time registrations - called them, they don't know much, told me to email immigration support - well, I did that back when we received the letter and it's been nearly two months now and I still haven't heard back from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

There is an email inbox that should get back to you in a reasonable time. It's listed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭beachhead

This post has been running a long time.Interesting all the same.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Can I ask what your timeframe was from submitting your pack to approval? Still waiting a decision and we issued pack in mid September 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 neenubob

I just posted documents through registered post, But Anpost status is we tried to deliver your mail. Has anyone had this issue before please? It was handed over on Thursday afternoon and this has been the status since Friday

You should allow more time.Just because a letter is registered doesn't mean it gets processed any quicker than normal mail.Check status again on Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 1 henrylausucks

Hi guys, me and my gf have been in a relationship for more than 3 years but not living together because of our cultures and family reasons. Anyone managed to get the partnership without living together? We can prove that we have been together for more than 3 years (we have record of everything like conversation, travel flight tickets, hotels)

Advertisement