Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kishoge station: A white elephant never opened

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

JHMEG wrote: »
    With due respect your unwaivering support for CIE and state run public transport in general blinkers you slightly from the reality, in my opinion.

I cannot let a comment such as that go unchallenged. I think if you go through my posts here over the years rather than the few months that you've on this particular board you will find I have been quite critical of CIE at times.

Reference my comments on the Waterford/Rosslare line and other regional routes.

Reference comments on poor scheduling on corridors by Dublin Bus, lack of intermediate times, the inept management of DART feeder services, poor scheduling of DART - the inexcusable 30 minute gaps in service on Saturdays, an Intercity timetable being run with very little wriggle room in terms of rolling stock while perfectly good stock is rotting away (except one set being restored inexplicably for a railtour).

With due respect I have no loyalty to CIE whatsoever, except as a daily user, and that's what I base my comments on. CIE is far from perfect, but there are positive changes happening. Bus Eireann came out of the Deloitte Report with a fairly good bill of health. Dublin Bus came out of it not so well. There have been improvements in the rail system with the introduction of clockface services, new stock etc., but there is a hell of a long way to go.

I happen to believe that if the Deloitte report is implemented in full by Dublin Bus then, together with the implementation of the AVLC we will see a transformation in the bus service in Dublin. Dublin Bus management have committed to implementing the report so I am prepared to wait and hold fire.

What does frustrate me here is that people often make fairly sweeping statements that I can understand are based on experiences they might have had some years ago, a one off bad day, or similar. As a daily user I get to see quite a variety of both Dublin Bus and Irish Rail operations and it does give me the opportunity to offer some informed comment. Those "perceptions" may well have been correct at the time, but the situation may have changed significantly since the time that the comment was made. I try to comment based on my experiences that are up to date.

We have the current spectacle of the opposition spokesman criticising Bus Eireann for cutting back services such as the 102 from Dublin to Ardcath that carried no more than 5 people per day for over 6 months, and calling for privatisation! The company is taking steps that are actually making the it a leaner, more efficient operation and giving better value to the shareholder, and all the opposition does start to rant about privatisation and the population being deserted!!! You could not make this up. I would argue that both Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann both tried cutting back unused and uneconomic services in the past only to be stopped by the government of the day because they didn't have the bottle to do so.

I view the current changes by Bus Eireann as long overdue and a backdrop to a distant time when there were far fewer cars in Ireland. I view the Dublin Bus network review as positive as it is fundamental to getting this city back on track.

As far as the 92 is concerned - I do actually use it - not every week - but reasonably regularly on and off trains at Heuston to/from Fonthill. Also, from observing the arrival times of 92 buses in the city centre as I pass through it and also seeing them in the mornings on the quays I would have a fair idea which bus was which by looking at the timetable. That's how I can make the statement I did.

I am not trying to catch you out but frankly I do pride myself in having a very good knowledge of how the whole public transportation system operates in Ireland because I've studied it and I use it. I am a passionate believer in public transport and I feel that we do deserve much better. However, I also know how the political world in which these organisations live operates. I know how long they can battle to get changes through. You have no idea how much contingency planning is done just in case the political wind blows one way or the other. It is frankly staggering.

To sum up - I try to give a daily informed user's comment. I have no interest in picking arguments with people, but I think that there is an awful lot of perception out there among the public, press and politicians that there is nothing right about public transport, and that is not the case. I do blame the companies themselves for not promoting new initiatives such as the significant benefits to the reliablity of bus timetables from the bus gate, the introduction of new routes, the range of prepaid tickets available etc. On the other hand, some choose to ignore the improvements. As I said elsewhere why should any regular customer be paying a EUR 2.20 cash fare on the bus when a Travel 90 10 Journey Ticket is available that costs effectively EUR 1.80 per trip. Because they choose not to check it out!! Dublin Bus have promoted it.

I try to give my own comments from my experience/knowledge. If that isn't to your liking/perception, well there's not much I can do about that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

You've twisted that and turned it into a loaded question, and well you know it. Of course south Lucan into Heuston will be quicker than into Connolly.

You are fully aware that I meant running via the Park straight into Connolly, and Heuston out of the loop (so to speak) would beat any form of Heuston then bus or Heuston then Luas.

I am not trying to twist anything.

Since the continuous bus lane opened along the North Quays, the buses take no more than 10 minutes to O'Connell Bridge. I do that trip from Parkgate Street most days of the week and know it to be true.

Prior to that being implemented I wouldn't have argued one jot about the benefits of bringing the trains around into Connolly via the Phoenix Park.

However, the time that it would now take for a train to go all the way around and into Connolly, together with the associated time walking to the city centre is, I do genuinely believe, longer than that using Heuston and the 92.

You are absolutely right of course in stating that the Interconnector will change the situation totally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,717 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Driving to Leixlip and getting the train from there would be a better option for a lot of people.

You're spot on.

That's exactly what we have been doing. It's quicker overall (and more reliable and more weatherproof) to the IFSC compared with a 25A, even 25X. And the latter is quicker than driving to Fonthill / Adamstown and then getting bus or Luas (which is terribly slow) at Heuston.

The 300m I live from Kishoge station is as the crow flies and it would take more than 15 mins to walk there. Now the plans are to build the first bit of Clonburris and break through the existing estates, which would reduce the walking time to just a few minutes. But I can't see anyone building anything here anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

unkel wrote: »
    You're spot on.

That's exactly what we have been doing.
    As a matter of interest do you go to Confey or Louisa Bridge? The latter has more parking, but Confey seems to always have a few empty spaces since they started charging for it.

Confey. Haven't done it since last November or so though, due to change in work location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

unkel wrote: »
    Confey. Haven't done it since last November or so though, due to change in work location.
    Cool. You can see my house from Confey :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Kishoge is developer funded so it hasn't cost IE money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Unless they didn't pay upfront!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not so sure. Adamstown was a deal with the developers of Adamstown, but the rest is based on a section 49(?) contribution scheme, where the developer only pays when they start building.

• Advertisement

Just passed Kishoge and there are several cars and vans parked beside the station and several workmen inside. Also there now is a surface carpark on the other side of the outer ring road (spaces for roughly 40 cars). Sure doesn't look like it's not going to be finished. What's going on here?
    Cool. You can see my house from Confey :)

Damn handy if you're commuting to the city centre :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Has there ever been wind of this being opened now that the Community College has been opened and of course with PPT open now...

Oh to be able to abandon the 25A/B some mornings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

There was an article there about a counseller giving out about it not being open. Is Daft that its the same situation as wad the case with Hansfield. A perfectly good station ready to go but the council not doing their part and building the access road to it.

Realistically there should be pressure on the authorities to get their end done. IR can hardly be blamed for it since the problems not on their end but the councils.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Last year the NTA stated they would look at the funding position in relation to opening the station after commencement of the PPT services. Have heard nothing about it since from either IE, the NTA or local politicians.

There's an online petition to open the station:-
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/minister-shane-ross-must-open-kishogue-rail

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭willbeuptuesday

Will Kisheoge station ever open, nothing in the media about it for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭willbeuptuesday

Has anyone an news on this, will it ever open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Last thing I heard it is due to open with the commencement of DART trains running on the line. I don't think it was intended to open with intercity or commuter trains. So, basically, ages away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

The carpark was finished off not too long ago. There was money allocated for its opening which I presume was for the carpark surfacing and tidying it up ect. Pretty sure IE built it into the last timetable as well. I guess with the reduction in passengers and trying to discourage all but essential travel its opening will be deferred until restrictions are a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

yer man! wrote: »
    Last thing I heard it is due to open with the commencement of DART trains running on the line. I don't think it was intended to open with intercity or commuter trains. So, basically, ages away.

It will open before DART. Wouldn't make any difference if its Dart or commuter trains serving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It will open in December when the annual timetable change takes place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement