Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food that could taste nice but you won’t try

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I've never had a cup of tea.

Nothing about it appeals to me. I've made cups of tea for other people and had them tell me it was great. That I put zero effort into making it, tells me the bar must be low, but that so many people drink it tells me "maybe it's nice?"

Otherwise, I've tried most food that's been up for grabs. I can't recall anything I turned down, none that IMO could have potentially tasted nice anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Cultural hangover from it being a religious fasting requirement is one of the reasons I've seen put forward. Maybe once upon a time, but the whole "fish on Fridays" thing was over and done with two generations ago, pretty much, but I still know loads of people who won't eat it.

I have to confess, I find the whole fussy eater thing weird in general. Food is such a joy to me. I once cancelled a first date because the guy admitted to only eating sausages & chips and frozen pizza. I genuinely couldn't share my life with someone like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

My dad thinks it's because it was viewed as a peasant food and beef and lamb were what people aspired to be eating. I couldn't be around someone who ate like that all the time either, a clear indicator we're totally different people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Scrambled eggs, the stench, the look, the texture..no, just no.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Frogs legs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

I have to confess, I find the whole fussy eater thing weird in general.

There's a lot of different factors to consider why someone might be a fussy eater. It could just be a psychological thing, allergies, taste buds or how their stomach reacts to certain foods. For me I don't like tomato sauce because I find it really sweet and feel physically sick from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

I think you are right. Here in New England both oysters and lobsters were considered to be poverty food at one time. Most people seem to have gotten over it though🙂

Oysters. I did try putting one in my mouth, spat it out immediately and tried feeding it to a local dog who refused to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Mushrooms. The texture not the taste of them. Didn’t used to like sweetcorn but while I haven’t had it in ages i wouldn’t be against it now.

don’t drink tea or coffee which to some people makes me a complete weirdo. I just never liked the taste of it.

Other than that I’ll give most things a try. Love fish of any kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Mech1

Not fully heated can of ravioli.

Since then no ravioli.

Was my first and last attempt at it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Well, some of you are very picky. I thought we would have more extreme foods here.

I hate offal such as liver and stomach (had both as a kid), but would try again if well seasoned. Brain has a nice creamy texture, apparently.

I draw the line with bugs though; even if they are just crunchy or chewy with no bad taste, nope. Same with bread made from fly flour. No way.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Magic mushrooms taste vile; it put me off tea for ages 😦

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Periwinkles. Particularly at the seaside. No thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,915 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Insects, that the UN keep on asking us to eat for the good of the planet.

Wonder do they serve them up at the UN canteen? Bloody well doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I don't know how people can live without tea. I think it's odd the amount of people who don't try common food, you could be missing out on something that tastes amazing

i prob have 3 or 4 cups of tea a year, i find it pretty bland, drink a lot of coffee though

Loads for me. I eat tuna, salmon, cod, haddock etc.. but the likes of oysters, mussels, scallops, clams and other shellfish are things I'll never try, they look horrific. Mushrooms, blue or rare steak, duck, aubergines, courgettes, offal, blue cheese, sourdough bread & cooked cabbage smells rank, there's no way I'm putting it in my mouth (that's what she said).

well they have a point but that's the Guardian not the U.N. or the WEF or whatever asking us to eat insects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

I can't live without tea but I'm picky with that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

I've nibbled a teeny bit of haggis over in Scotland without being condescending about their food, at least gave it a try. Tasted okay but knowing what it's made with turned my stomach. I wouldn't eat Grisheen? either in Cork. I call it Klingon food 'this gach isn't fresh it's dead!'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Anything with kidneys. The house smells like a nursing home after them disgusting.

Oysters or scallops. Basically sewage filters if they come from bad water.

Raisins and currants. They remind me of flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Oh, I’ve thought of more.

I would not even attempt to try a chilli con carne because it has kidney beans in it. I blame that on my secondary school cookery teacher as she had some bad habits.

the next are - Mars, twix, and the like frozen lolly things. The thought of them makes me gag but I bet they’re really good. I just can’t do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Probably explains a lot if that's what they serve in their canteen.

I’m a fan of all seafood, but ordered a pot of mussels with chips last year and the mussels themselves were a bit large. I was in the contemplation stage of my porter intake and took too long looking at one of them.

Turned my stomach and I don’t think I’ll be having them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I am never gonna eat a snail or a frogs leg. No way Jose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Never tried an oyster and never will. Disgusting sea slimey whatever’s they even are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭AllForIt

There isn't any in previous posts I wouldn't eat and indeed like. Gawd I love muscles, mushrooms, prawns etc

Insects and snails I think I would have a problem with though. As someone said previously it's the texture that would put me off. I don't like anything slimy including porridge. I eat uncooked oats though with warm milk and a little chopped nuts and raisins. That way it's not slimy with a much nicer crunchy texture.

• Advertisement

No one has mentioned sausages yet. Your average supermarket sausage is pretty much made up of nipple, eyelid, kidney and the offcuts of the carcass. Bulked out with rendered fat, wheat, and loads of salt, msg and flavourings.

No, the brand you buy isn’t much better.

Advertisement