Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food that could taste nice but you won’t try

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I dont like the smell. I have tried it but I dont like it. It tastes of the sea.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I think mine have already been mentioned but snails and insects are a definite no thank you. Also any kind of very hot spicy foods, I cannot stomach even jalapenos or the little red chillies you get in any supermarket so anything hotter than those are completely off the table. No vindaloos or whatever other meals with a lot of spicy heat or it's very bad news for me 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Have you seen what we put in the sea? Really don't know how anybody would want to eat animals that filter the crap out of it.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

I eat everything bar seafood and fish. The smell and texture are quite off putting. Before anyone tries to tell me, yes even fresh fish does not have a pleasant smell. I have caught, gutted and filleted fish many many times fresh out of the sea - I still don’t like the smell.

I’ve many different kinds many times, I’d like to like it but I just don’t.

• Advertisement

People always say this but it’s not true. Fresh fish absolutely does have a smell.

Fish flesh contains a substance called trimethylamine which most ocean fish use for osmoregulation.

Trimethylamine is what causes the characteristic “fishy” smell. It is also responsible for the exact same smell in cases of bacterial vaginosis. Smell is strongly related to taste and even a hint of this smell is enough to put me off. As I said above it can be smelled even from fish straight off the hook, although it gets stronger as time goes on.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trimethylamine

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

Sweet and Sour Sauce , from the local Chinese take away 🤮

That smell is horrific!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Also depends on the fish. I find fresh herring to have a very strong smell.

everything has a smell, but the pungent fish smell that’s indicative of fish gone bad or fairly old is not the same as the natural odour either.

for one thing the smell fish gives off naturally is far more tolerable. I work in a seafood restaurant and never has any fish we cooked or prepped ever smelled like the stuff you’d get in a supermarket does.

Fresh fish doesn’t smell bad. Awec is correct as is anyone else who says so. Every single day I handle seafood in some regard (even though I’m on pastry..!) and I’ve never been repulsed by the smell of the fish in work.

Except the one time some idiot left fish out of the fridge all night and the next morning.. oh god the next morning..

• Advertisement

Ah yeah of course fresh fish smells better, but it does still have that faintly “fishy” smell, which is obviously just something I happen to be particularly sensitive to.

Wish I could tuck into some lovely seafood, fair jealous!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,607 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You've probably turned yourself off fish by catching and gutting before eating it. So have associated the smell with that.

I love fish and seafood but I've never fished.

I also love hamburgers but am fairly sure I probably wouldn't want to touch one after killing and gutting a cow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Jalapeños very hot spicy 😀 more like not very spicy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Also wont go near fish.

I hate the smell of it and even if sometimes the odor is less than other times, feck it, whats the point? Its like playing the lottery every time , and when you get unlucky then your kitchen, living room/ most of the house stinks of the stuff. And then theres kippers, christ, and the stuff in a can.

My folks used to have "fresh" fish midweek when I was in college (they brought forward the friday tradition a few days to avoid stinking out the place for when I landed back) and I'd still smell it on Friday evening at 9pm after coming home from college. Hateful stuff.

Maybe in a restaurant its different, they have better suppliers or shorter supply chains but why would I go to a restaurnt to order something that i have a dislike for, just to see if my dislike is correct or not, and spend a wad of cash on some stuff that I quite probably wont eat.

And restaurants, they still dont sell odourless seafood and if you want 2 specific culprits that spring to mind, go to the Croke park hotel or the connacht in Galway. The croke park has a chowder that literally stinks - its putrid, and the connacht restaurant just smells, i mean stinks, of fish. Salmon in general in restaurants or caverys stink too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I have no tolerance for heat, my body does not like them at all! I have to pick them out if I accidentally order something with chilies or jalapenos.

i think it’s a lot more to do with perception. Seafood and especially, scallops, calamari that kinda thing are regularly looked at with disgust.

The amount of folks who swear without ever even tasting it that texture is “rubbery” or “slimy” because it looks sort of like it could maybe have that mouthfeel.

I have to imagine “mammy” has some blame here anyway. Unseasoned, pan fried in fcuking crisp and dry, overcooked cod (which will stink) is what I imagine most poor craters to imagine fresh fish to be like.

If you think you don’t like fish it’s probably just you didn’t have any worth eating before. In the entire ocean, which is big, I checked, I doubt there’s a seafood you would not enjoy.

if you want my advice if you’re not a big fish person but want to try eating more seafood, I highly recommend scallops (they’re very meaty and sweet not fishy in the slightest) & monkfish, tbh.

It’s like lobster but meatier and sweeter again. Kinda like chicken but a bit sweeter? Lovely with curry actually. Or if you’re feeling lazy, pan fried, garlic butter, curry powder on top (just a wee bit) absolutely lovely with some rice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,735 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i avoid scallops, the standard method of fishing for them is indefensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Quite a fan of fishing and crabbing and killing my own meat where possible. Catch wild rabbit on occasion. Chickens. Keep geese for Christmas too. Went bow hunting in the US not so long ago. I would do a lot more of it if I could but Ireland is not really the place for it alas. Never really been put off by having to kill or prepare my own meat. But I guess it's not for everyone while it's not a necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

I've seen people suck the contents of a prawn or fish head and swear it was delicious. Not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chosen1

Anything to do with cucumbers is a no for me anyway. The one food I won't eat under any circumstances.

I can smell it before I see it and the smell often puts me of a salad when they're mixed in, even if picked out.

Read before that people who actually like cucumbers are missing a taste receptor, meaning they don't taste or smell the acrid odour.

Daughter loves them though and get them when we're our as they'd never be in our fridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Xander10

Cucumber is just water. No taste or smell to be offended by.

And very versatile

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chosen1

To you they taste like water but to me any anyone else who can actually taste them, they smell and taste repugnant.

Bit of light reading for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,186 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I would never eat one of them thousand year old eggs from China that is black and half bird half egg inside. Uafasach altogether.

I'm teh same, I can smell cucumbers a mile off and the taste is not for me. I avoid them where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭iniscealtra

My OH fishes and hunts. So I am familiar with gutting and butchering. I appreciate it more as I know where it came from and appreciate the work that went into bringing it into my kitchen. I know it will be fresher and tastier than some in a plastic packet from a supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭iniscealtra

Agree on the cucumber thing. Will only eat them if the seeds have been taken out and are pickled. So I would never eat them out.

Advertisement