Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭bobbyD1978

It works but it's 3g at best and frequently drops I find. No amount of messing with the settings seems to improve it. Mind you I was with gomo at one stage and they were useless so I might but have many options

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I had full 4G in the Canaries in November. Had been to a number of different EU countries with 48 before that, including the Canaries earlier in the year and could never get data roaming (had a Vodafone eSIM just for roaming. They do 5GB for €5 which I found handy for short trips).

They signed some new agreement with networks for 4G access in September. Have you tried it recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

Bank of Ireland seem to have a problem rwith 48 with their credit card online transaction especially,if a business outside the EU. Their solution depending on how many times you call them is always different.Reload B Of I app,try different browsers/devices is first cop out - didn't solve the problem.I realised the people I spoke hadn't a clue and gave up on the transaction-didn't want multiple debits if suddenly the payments went through.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cudsy1

Can you move your old number? Absolutely, when you're activating your SIM you'll have the choice to move your number to 48 straight away or you can choose to move your number at a later time. To learn more on how you can unlock your phone click here.

quick q - if I order a new 48 SIM now, and want to change my existing phone number onto it at some point in the future, even say a years time, will that be possible?

thanks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yes, it's possible to do so at any time, as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

You can move your number to another network at any time in the future.

Seeing as you've asked a similar question in another thread, can you clarify what you're intending to do....after a number is ported the source SIM deactivates as there is no number assigned to it and can't be reactivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cudsy1

well spotted. I think I should be OK. Probably will move my phone from eir to gomo, and use 48 for router, provided 48 signal good enough in my house.

thanks very much all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Just be aware that a number moved to gomo has to stay with gomo to keep the 12.99 plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

For the last week, I am getting several msgs failed, poor Internet connection, and no signal for few seconds.

Anyone else experiencing this with 48?

I am considering a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Yup, can also confirm Germany works without any issues now. Finally getting normal 4G (pretty fast actually) after having to deal with 2G for about 1 Year in Germany and 48month. No clue about other countries but there are a lot fewer roaming complaints on their website now compared to 6 months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Anyone had any issues porting out of 48?

I'm getting an error moving to Virgin where they keep saying I've specified the wrong current provider. I'm assuming it's another Virgin balls-up but just in case

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Is 48 showing as an option? Or are you selecting 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

48 is showing up as an option and I'm selecting it.

Just got an email from them recommending I order one of their new SIMs which should automatically work when roaming. Sounds promising.

To continue to strengthen your connection a new and improved 48 SIM has been designed and is available to order now. Once activated your new replacement SIM will ensure you automatically connect to a local network while roaming, reducing your troubleshooting efforts going forward.​

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ive a 7.99 sim going back a few years. Wondering can leave it dormant and not buy a membership for about 6 months and still have the 7.99 price when I go back to using it?

I think they have a limit of 90 days from the last top up.I am over the 90 days myself.Still have account access and number still rings thru and can be answered.The price plan remains valid

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Cool.

I'm trying to see where I can get a replacement but doesn't seem available on my account.

Do I need to receive the email to proceed with getting one?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

nice one thanks. Id only have to buy one membership before the 90 days is up to be sure of keeping on the 7.99 payment so I might just do that rather than risking a full 6 months without buying a membership

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I've a 48 SIM on which I haven't bought a membership in well over six months. Just checked there and the €7.99 plan is still available to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Be careful though. I think you're ok to wait up to six months. If you go beyond that they may suspend the sim at some point (though you can get it reactivated) and later any existing credit will be permanently removed. Some time after that the number will actually be recycled and cannot be recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Going abroad next week. Does roaming automatically switch on or do I have to update settings etc when I land? I had so much trouble the last time but understand it’s slightly easier now.

I was away in November/December and it didn't automatically switch for me. Had to manually change the settings, but it was the first time it worked for me so there was an improvement there.

If I was you I'd order a replacement SIM through your account, which should have the auto roaming according to the email I got. If it doesn't come before you go you're no worse off, if it does the roaming should work automatically once you register it when it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭muffinhead

I'm currently in the UK roaming with 48 on the EE network for the first time since 4G roaming was enabled. My speed test results have ranged from 100-150Mbps which is a nice improvement from my last trip where 3G got me no faster than 14Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

I'm continuously seeing this, it's not the phone as I've checked other sims in them and all fine. If I put the 48 sim in other phones then lose signal.

I've porting back to Eir this Friday ordered a prepay sim this morning. Went for their Unlimited data (5G), minutes & texts for 20 euro per month. Plus will have several trips this year so want to have no issue with respect to roaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭amber2

@blade1 into my profile and click on re order sim and click order replacement, type in postcode.

Thanks amber2.

Sorted 👍

Will it come with my number or is there a kind of porting to be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭amber2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Advertisement