Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

They also take a ridiculously long time to print and ship games. I've had a couple of games where it's been so long, I've moved to another address and was then worried they'd shipped to the old one.

Never buying anything from them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭geotrig

same ,I detest them nearly as much as this grading bs , bought shredders revenge for switch not releasing it was getting a release into shops here as well o\\ ,que me still waiting for mine and while it sat on various shop shelfs here 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Wata & Heritage Auctions have a seriously vested interest in inflated game collecting prices, so there's that.

Limited Run Games stuff doesn't appeal to me in the slightest either, it just feels like artificial scarcity + hype + collectors = money. I'm done with that mentality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Tried the Switch version, the controls are a pig.

Hopefully it'll get some sort of patch, but as it is emulation I won't hold my breath.

I haven't tried Goldeneye yet on the Xbox, hopefully it will be a more pleasant experience

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Well damn... I might just have to turn on my Xbox One for the first time in years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I've heard it's better if you remap the controls at the system level. Pita doing so for one game, blame Nintendo for mapping the N64 analog to the right stick, the c buttons to the left stick and Z only to ZL and not allowing in game remapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Goldeneye controls pretty well on Series consoles. Defaults to the same old FPS controls that became default over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Good stuff. Aimtraks are great but you have to stand way back for the accuracy. 2m from the gun to the sensor and it's perfect. Any closer and it's iffy.

Have fun going down the rabbit hole of demulshooter, dual guns and calibration.

Don't forget not only do you calibrate the aimtrak in the OS but you also have to calibrate in each game's service menu.

Set up a nice hyperspin wheel with all the arcade gun games and it's just the stuff of dreams! Well worth the effort.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's purely a emulated N64 game, while the Xbox version is a port.

As far as I know, at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Well they patched Zelda OoT, (and other n64 games) so there's hope, though they weren't really QoL patches so maybe less hope :pac:

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Only reading now the Switch version is part of their (questionable) N64 emulation pack, whereas the Xbox is the remastered version....pretty lame.

Re the controls on Switch, I did see mention online about how to configure them, but in typical Nintendo fashion, simple things can often need to be done arseways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Maybe **** controls are a way to drive sales for that Switch N64 pad that’s literally never available? That sound a little bit Nintendo, it pains me to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,652 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Aye, strange how the Switch version got by QC, but maybe being Nintendo releasing legacy stuff, it probably shouldn't. At the very least, even a Pro controller shows up the control issues. Guess N64 controllers are plentiful at Nintendo.

Xbox version controls relatively fine, but is a real missed opportunity after, not just the job done on the likes of Perfect Dark in the past, but in comparison to the leaked XBLA version a couple years back. Not quite buying Code Mystics explanation of the graphical glitches always being present in the code that are now only revealing themselves. Granted the original displayed some texture seam issues in line with time etc, but the strange warping effect is only something that can be blamed at a poor emulation attempt (at the very least steps should have been taken), and while I've not had it on in a while, it certainly wasn't an issue with the original remaster.

That said, it's not long before that 'Goldeneye feel' shows itself on both versions TBH. Very few games FPS titles match that 'popping out a few silenced PPK shots' that the original got so right. Just a real shame that they've taken such an easy route.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sega of america thought that the sonic the hedgehog design was so **** that they were going to get the creator of California raisins to give Sega of Japan lessons in how to create compelling characters:

And then sega of America creates kid chameleon....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As for goldeneye, it's one of those games that absolutely needs a N64 controller to control properly, the controls just don't translate to a modern dual stuck controller. If it's a straight up emulation of the original game then it's hard to get into the code to change the control scheme at a low level. With a port it's much handier to do this but while it will control better it's not going to feel exactly right. There's also the fact that the original game was kind of inherently clunky.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I tried the Xbox version yesterday (via PC Cloud as I don’t have an Xbox) and it controls fine. I mean, it’s still Goldeneye with all the jank and gameplay eccentricities that entails… but it works intuitively with modern dual stick controls within the game’s natural limitations. I don’t think there’s really any excuse for Nintendo to just put it out there without some effort to make it better suited to modern controllers. AFAIK the Xbox version is running on emulation software too (same as Rare Replay tech) so it can be done.

The rights are obviously totally fucked up, hence why we got these two strange, fairly barebones ports with neither being optimal in their own strange, unique ways.

I've put a bit of time into the Xbox port and it's still great fun.

The controls work a treat.

I must dig out the PS3 reboot and see how it compares.

I'll leave it where it is so!

• Advertisement

Finished Aladdin on the SNES. Found it a bit lacking. Starts of great, loses steam and then it's pretty much over in a blink of an eye, although the magic carpet scene and final two bosses were great. It really feels rushed.

Still a much better game than the Megadrive one.

I've a major soft spot for the snes version, always enjoy a play through of it. Love the music gameplay, and visuals...plus it's not overly long so you can finish it in a single sitting.

I also never really clicked with the megadrive version for some reason

Oh I do like it. It's classic Capcom through and through and I also like the emphasis on Aladdin being non violent whereas the took the lazy route on megadrive and gave him a sword. And you also have the a whole new world segment.

It feels like it was made by the same team as the Capcom Mickey mouse snes games which feel like more complete experiences. They've more levels and more bosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Aladdin designer Shinji Mikami:

“If I didn’t actually make [the SNES game], I would probably buy the Genesis one,” Mikami told Polygon in an interview. “Animation-wise, I think the Genesis version’s better. The Genesis version had a sword, actually. I wanted to have a sword.”

I think the sword/no sword thing was more a Nintendo making the game more family friendly decision than anything else.

Visually, I always found that the Snes version was very much 'Capcom does Aladdin' whereas the Megadrive version was 'Disney does Aladdin'.

Snes version does play a lot better though, can't argue there!

Shinji Mikami is just suffering from imposter syndrome there!

Pretty sure the developer of the megadrive game had a hard time getting the sword through Disney. Aladdin only uses a sword right at the end so Capcom's take is actually way more accurate to the film. The animation in the megadrive game looks incredible but after the opening stages the game becomes a western airplane hanger game with a lot of repeated tiles. And to me it feels like Shiny/Virgin Interactive does Aladdin, it's very similar to Cool Spot, Jungle Book and Earthworm Jim.

They're both far from perfect but would have been nice to have the capcom game with the Megadrives animation, especially considering the higher colour depth of the SNES. Even then the SNES game really needed to be fleshed out a little more. The mickey mouse games show how good Capcom can be when developing with the Disney license.

Absolutely love The Magical Quest, that and Aladdin are two fantastic Snes games.

In a way maybe it would have been better if Sega had internally developed the Aladdin game because Castle and World of illusion are superb!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

On the subject of Shinji Mikami, don't sleep on Hi-Fi Rush - maybe the best PS2 / Dreamcast game since the PS2 / Dreamcast era :P An amazing character action brawler combined with a rhythm game, with perhaps the most impressive cel-shaded art style in any 3D game to date (up there with some of those Arc System Works 2D fighters). Mikami is executive producer on it as it's a Tango Gameworks game, but it's directed by John Johanas who does an amazing job bringing that particular type of game a step forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I was watching Johnny Mnemonic in 4k last night as I was in the mood for some 90's "so bad its good" Sci-Fi. I'd never noticed before, but his passport is just a Game Gear cart with a different label/sticker on it 😀

There's a load of other dodgy props in it, but this one gave me a good laugh.

Also this 😂

• Advertisement

That's funny, nothing new with Hollywood movies repurposing cheap items as props though. The communicators in Phantom Menace were repainted Gillette lady razors.

Advertisement