Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very small farm. Owner retiring

Options
  • 29-01-2023 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭

Small farm that keeps about 6 suckler cows and gets about 3k in grants per years.

Farmer getting out of cattle due to age.

We are looking at options going forward.

Nobody here has time for calving cows.

Perhaps just keeping enough dry cattle to satisfy grants is the way forward. Don't want to rent it out anyway.

Are there any tillage schemes or other environmental schemes that a small holding could be entered into to make a small return without keeping animals at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 EIapprentice

Why so hesitant to let when noone has any interest in farming it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Land is wrapped all around the house. Just doesn't suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭cute geoge

organic is the way for you ,new grant and minimal few cattle

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭k mac

Get someone you trust and knows cattle to buy 5 or 6 quiet angus or hereford heifers for you, and keep them for seven months to claim your entitlements which you probably have. If excess grass let a neigbour take it for silage, and either charge him or maybe let him have it and he will do you a twist again (maybe buy the cattle for you), that is by far your handiest way of doing things.

As regards schemes acres is probably your best option closed for applications now but will reopen this year, This way you have minimal spend and work to start with and you never know you might get an interest in it.

Yes this was the initial idea we had. Primarily to get out of calving and avoid as much as possible of winter feeding as up to now it has been an out wintering setup.

Don't know the details on how long they need to be in herd per year to comply with grant requirements but will be seeking some advice on this.

I took an initial look at organic farming info last night and looks like more hassle than it's worth in this situation.

I'm not a complete newbie to it but wouldn't have time to be watching cattle calving etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭bigroad

Solar farms are all the fashion now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭selectamatic

If it's good land Mick operating the 7 month system and buying in native breed bullocks and fattening off grass with some supplements and factorying them in the backend could work for ye. In general bullocks are docile and handy manage too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 southwestlad

I am looking for advice for a similar situation. Recently received a 40 acre farm from my uncle plus some machinery in Cork. The land is quite good and its a real dairy area with no tillage. I work full time off farm and would not be able to spend more than one day mid week and the weekends on the farm. I would like to farm the land is some fashion but I wouldn't feel comfortable with animals there when I am away. Any options / advice much appreciated.

How far away do you live from it ,if it was well fenced with a mighty shock I would take my chances with bullock looking after them selves for 2 or 3 days ,not ideal but worth a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 3 southwestlad

About an hour or double that in traffic.

Is there any margin (no matter how small) to be made is growing decent quality silage and selling as a standing crop or even bale it and sell over the winter?

No unless you have your own gear includ. baler and the machinery is already paid for ,if the ground is average to good ,spring oats/barley and a good relationship with a local tilage contractor might be worth considering $400 hectare /tillage grant and straw choping scheme payment worth another 100/ac and once it gets the 2 sprays at right time by contractor no need to look at it for 4 months

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

In the true Farming and Forestry chat, a 40 acre farm might be considered small. But here in Smallholding, that is probably more than most of us could dream of getting our hands, and wellies, on! 😂

Advertisement