Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bord Bia Audit

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭893bet

Of course it is? Are you saying it’s already part of the audit? What section?

given the subjective nature of visually interpreting docility by a bordbia bia inspector then I don’t see how it can be part of the assessment to qualify as “quality assured”. If it is then it’s even more bullshite than most of the audit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Docility at slaughter would depend on who's handling them in the factory, and they won't give a **** about being gentle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Boom and it's being written by Larry. The new 20c qps payment will be a Larry scheme.

QA for life was mentioned in one of the grant thornton beef reports for the taskforce. It was the customers were looking for it. As was a reduction of moves

Reducing the amount of moves could have a huge benefit, similar to the china trade. It would remove QA from feedlots.

Biggest hit will be the weanling/yearling to store farmer and the 7months summer grazers. Could be a crutch that might take some of the smaller part timers out aswell Also the mart trade especially in smaller marts will be hit.

The signal has been coming for a while and it's something that if it affects you, you need to be potentially planning a system change

Post edited by mr.stonewall on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Robson99

It would be more in their line to go and check what Larry and co are selling off as QA beef. Bord Bia are a complete joke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Robson99

People get too hung up about QA anyway. Age, movements, coming of QA farm etc not making one bit off difference these days in the Marts......when the boys want heads the paperwork is ignored completely

No. I can’t see it. Too many variables and subjectivity for an inspector to make an assessment. Impossible to implement when you consider.

1) Unless you are breeding the cattle yourself what control have you really on their temperment? They ain’t going to get quiet in the 3 months a finisher holds them. So do they loose their QA status if they happen to have a bunch a little wilder than usual for the 1 day inspection noting they will have an entirely different group of cattle in 3 months time. How many cattle need to look at the inspector wrong to loose status? “Sorry buddy, your QA is gone, one of them cows cut a look at me and I thought it was gonna kill me, maybe next year”

2) temperament within a group varies hugely. I have 1 that is wild, home breed and always wild since a week old (meant to cull this year as she is a nuisance but she is back in calf). She can incite the rest in the field when it suit her even though the rest are big grass puppies.

come on 😀😀😀😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

I doubt even the most docile of continental cattle would willingly stand quietly in a field while a complete stranger walks about them. This could only be something thought up of by someone in D4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

"no it’s not on the current scheme but it’s inevitable that it’s coming. It should be based on a ph test of the carcass really but as I said the temperament of cattle has a huge bearing on the tenderness and quality of the beef."

Are you suggesting that in order for a animal to qualify for BB bonus they have to pass a litmus paper test in the factory - ah now c'mon.

I've seen the most docile of dairy cull cows becoming aggressive in a factory lairage. I know because I would have loaded and transported them without issue.

Jaysus, your really beginning to sound like a factory man.

• Advertisement

You do know that half of Australian beef has been treated with growth hormones.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

There isn't a hope in hell a Bord Bia inspector will walk out into a field of cattle to see how docile they are.

What if an animal started pawing the ground? Will there be checks at Bord Bia's recruitment stage for how fast an inspector can run before they're given the job?

Reports of this BS in the media show how far DAFM and Bord Bia are from reality. And it doesn't say much for the media either who copy-and-paste this stuff and give it an air of credibility.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I have quite enough cattle, generally they will all follow a bucket and walk behind me. A few years ago I had dep of ag cross compliance inspection. The inspector said he would read the cattle tags in the field if I sprinkled a little meal on the ground. He dodged slowly into fields & read every one. Few months the BB guy came out to the field with him like he was been chased, spooked all the cattle & couldn't get one number. So if they are going to assess domicile cattle they would need to know how to handle cattle first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭hopeso

I wonder if this is another attempted blow to the suckler herd? If this docile cattle thing gets going, then the finisher will have no other option only to buy bucket reared dairy stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

It's always said if they want the suckler man gone then they will get rid of him, but forget about retirement payments, they'll simply bury him in red tape and make it a torture for him to continue.

The suckler man is'nt exiting the system fast enough for the governments liking, hence a whole bunch of new "schemes" with more bullshit rules to abide by.

Now i don't for a minute think the docile scoring for cattle will ever come into it simply because it's impossible to police it, funny enough it would benefit me if it did, i pour-on my cows in the field every year, no need for a crush!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

It reminds me of the proposal during the boom to ban slurry spreading on Saturdays. I see it’s being reported that all the “stakeholders” including the useless parasites in the IFA have already agreed to this nonsense without any consultation as usual. Any suckler farmer giving money to the IFA needs to wake up and do it soon.

"Wild cattle make tough beef, there’s a direct correlation."

As does stress, dehydration and aged/older cattle. You could have the quietest of cattle and they will have become stressed/dehydrated due to travelling time, condition of travelling vis a vie in with other stock, handling by lairage staff, smell in factory, etc, etc.

Got thinking over the past while, how did the 30 month rule come into play in the first place?

How was that ever allowed to happen?

As I said previously - it's death by a thousand cuts to the suckler herd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭hopeso

It was the time when BSE was a problem, as far as I recall

It was brought in because of BSE as a temporary measure. It was allowed to happen because of the IFA.

At the time it was due to BSE. Cattle under 30 months were negligible for the disease.

As an industry we just seem to take everything lying down, i was thinking about it when the rumours of 24 month cattle were making the rounds in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

In fairness the processors would love any chance to not pay the QA to the average man.

As someone pointed out it would very much be a “pro dairy anti suckler move”.

• Advertisement

@Jjameson Your anti suckler bias is well documented at this stage.

I was just reading the new changes to the Bord Bia audits. The article is "Sweeping changes to Bord Bia audits on the way" and they are certainly sweeping. There is no indication if farmers will be paid for these addition requirements or penalised for not complying with them. Unfortunately the article is subscriber only but I will add the link.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/sweeping-changes-to-bord-bia-audits-on-way-746066

For every story like that there is one of mine. Trying to scrape the house here by hand and it’s difficult.

Cows refusing to move out of the way as they are chewing cud. And and other won’t leave me alone as she wants to lick the sweat of me. Weanling sucking the end of my coat also. 😀

Common as coffee. You won’t get anything extra in the factory for quiet cattle. But they might dock the other fella if they get a chance.

Divide and conquer. I am alright jack.

If he was one the rest of his family are running what ever system you are running…..😏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Like lots of farmers I’ve been on lots of farms and lots of farmers have been here. Generally everyone’s cattle are as quiet as lambs with their owner. Sadly allot of farms are 1 person farms. When a stranger comes the cattle get spooked as generally to the cattle a second person means they’re going to get prodded. Bringing someone (use to cattle) in for a walk every so often does wonders

• Advertisement

Neighbour has a nice Saler herd! But…..

I squeeze a few from him that are early or late calvers that vet doesn’t do.

They do be lively fellas usually……..

On the loading side, I find the Suckler bred stock are the hardest to load on their final day. The issue is very simple, it's the first time they have seen a ramp. The dairy bred are just easier for the simple fact the have seen a ramp, twice in their life, coming into the farm and moving out the field as calves for the first time.

Cattle are creatures if habit, put something new into the equation and it can spook them

Nailed it on the head. Cattle over time have been domesticated by use. This has involved human interaction on differing level. The more human interaction the better and in positive manner. This maybe moving to a new paddock, A shake of meal etc.

Part time farming and larger herds reduces this time. But it is still no excuse to spending even 5 mins standing around your cattle when herding. Letting 20 cattle roam 60 acres for the summer or herding from the seat of the landcruiser is not helping.

The lack of help is not the issue. Most of this can be sorted simply by good handing facilities and paddocks. By good handling facilities, I mean designed with the animal at the centre. Take a look at the intakes in ABP lairages. The spent money on getting Temple Grandin to input

Introducing new people to stock is also important. The 6 and 4 yr old love to get out and see stock. This more interaction for the stock. Now it usually with the dairy bred calves, with rearing stage and often moving from paddock to paddock. Often in the summer, I would take them herding with me and pick and choose the stock they see in the field. Hold the hands and walk thru the paddock. Cattle will get more and more used to people. Needless to say herd takes 2-3 times longer but the benefits are worth it, personally and on the stock. We have to pick and choose the opportunities that we can introduce new people.

For most people taking 5 mins a day to stand in field with their stock will have huge benefits on the stock but also for the farmers wellbeing

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dunedin

My planner was on the farm last year to do the acres plan. I was at work so he was on his own. He said it took him twice as long as normal as the cattle kept following him around licking him.

quiet or wild animals are largely linked to the farmer themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

There’s an article on Agriland that it’s not fair to make suckler farmers do the bord bia audit to get acceptance to the new scheme. I think I’ll wait for the scheme to be announced before I apply for BB. I would prefer to avoid it if I could….

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/suckler-efficiency-scheme-must-be-accessible-by-all-farmers/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

I'm doing the same. Going to wait & see if the criteria change. Most of the other criteria I don't mind as much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭endainoz

There will be a huge push for lads to get certified in time for the scheme, it wouldn't make much sense to wait it out. The scheme is due to open on the 20th of March, got a text about it yesterday, but it won't be open for that long and you can't apply for it without SBLAS.

It costs nothing to get into BB, and it's not as if you'll be locked into it or anything, always easy to opt out.

Theres talk that farmers are going to have to pay for it. Why should we join it when its no benefit to us. It’s just more restrictions on what we can and can’t do. We will be locked into it if it’s compulsory for the likes of the new BDGP. Why should we be blackmailed into joining. Where is all this rubbish going to end.

There is nothin in bordbia that would not be needed for a cross compliance inspection.

• Advertisement

Cross compliance is a legal requirement (Or at least required for BPS).

Bordbia is optional. I don’t agree with any of the schemes being linked to it. But again those schemes are optional.

Like the fodder support scheme the were people not entering as they were suspicious some how if it. Bird bia is a walk in park really.

An awful lot of bullshit being spouted in this thread putting those not in it off.

As failing a BB inspection costs a farmer fcuk all, as opposed to a cross compliance inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Fine…”.potentially” put off joining by miss information . It’s more than just people who comment that read these threads.

Bord bia auditors are as soft as baby shite if you have things in any kind of order. And it’s brilliant for ensuring your required records are kept up to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

Lads should view Bord Bia as a mock cross compliance inspection with zero consequences if something is not right. It really is no hassle especially when the first audit only goes back 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭endainoz

Never heard of such "talk". The clear benefit is to get into the new beef scheme, no point in leaving bgdp and beeps money behind out of just being stubborn.

SBLAS really isn't a big deal, once the paperwork and stock handling facilities are to a decent standard (which they should be anyway) then there's nothing to worry about.

Is the new scheme a fairly big cut back from the two schemes it’s replacing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Would agree with this. BB audit is a bit of a joke really if we’re honest. Many people scribble a bit into the book the night before, give yer man tae when he comes and talk GAA for a while or whatever topic rocks his boat and out the gap with 98% compliance…….

Advertisement