Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5 Black police officers charged over death of Tyre Nichols

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

They were kicked out as far as I know, no word of criminal charges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Pretty open and shut case there. May be used as an excuse for why they were fired so quick. That's black and white (excuse the pun) textbook manslaughter, and upcoming evidence will see if that's murder (I don't get these degree things, murder is premediated, manslaughter isn't, easier). They beat him, over and over, for no reason, and now he's dead. Nothing could possibly excuse any of that. This appears to be a genuine 100% case of an innocent man being killed by cops. No grey area. RIP to the young man.

Now, it is telling that there hasn't been any riots, or at least nothing that I've seen reported. A guy (who looks white in the video) smashes a cruiser in NY and gets arrested, obviously, and the media nearly killing each other to record the arrest. Protestors in LA are audibly shouting to kill the cops and don't care if there are non-racists in the police, they're all the same. But no riots.

I think the people calling out the reaction to Floyd vs this are right to call it out. The reactions are so different. Still early so time will tell. Take down the Floyd statue, put up one of Tyre instead. And that's about all that can be said at this stage. We need more information and the trials will be interesting, if covered...

The George Floyd killing had nothing on this, as bad as that was. The cruelty and wanton disregard for a human being in this case is chilling to the bone. I'm sorry I watched the video now and I think there should be serious questions asked of others in the video not just the police.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

That's what I always think when you see those clips of people kicking ppl in the head with the victim laying on the ground. I mean do they think they are just inflicting some temporary pain but you know no real damage done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Plus, cops are most likely wearing steel toecaps...

It definitely seems like there was something personal going on here. Especially if they were 'rehabilitated' gang members who joined the police force.

What a horrific and brutal murder, the worse I have ever seen by people who are supposedly there to protect us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

But a balance is needed. Cops need to be very firm, but not brutal.

Yes, but you can’t have brutality. I have no issue with cops needing to be tough and firm.

And yes, big issue today is society slating and criticising and condemning good police officers who are doing good jobs due to certain sections of society ready to shout brutality over any kind of physicality that cops use..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,123 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If they were ex gang members it explains a lot.

The Scorpion unit was targeting Street crime in areas of high criminality.

High crime in Memphis and such areas would be considered low level civil war in most of the world. Memphis has a significant gang problem and a culture of glorified criminality like most urban African American areas.

What we see from this is a further reduction of police in these communities.

It's a downward spiral, the response to this should be better police training, more police, stricter day to day policing, instead the activists will force police out, the activists will go to their White suburbs and the community will have no protection.

• Advertisement

If these cops were x gang members then there is something seriously wrong that they are then allowed enter into the police force!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

There's absolutely a balance, the authorities are outnumbered by general population by roughly 1000:1, if they are too heavy handed to the point that they don't enjoy the support of most people, law and order will completely collapse. That's why it's constantly reiterated that they serve the people and that is why you have police leadership pleading in the media for people to remain calm. If they lose the confidence of the public, they are finished basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I dont think you can train a cop not to commit crimes themselves, they must know what they are doing is wrong. It sounds like a cultural problem with some police in america that they think they are above the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I've often been on the side of the cops, especially where a suspect has been resisting arrest, but there's no excusing the behaviour of the cops in this case.

So far the protests have been peaceful. If it had been 5 white cops who doled out the beating manslaughter/murder, America would be in flames right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

After reading a few opinion pieces in UK Independent and CNN I'm led to believe it's White peoples' fault that five Black cops randomly beat a Black civilian to death in a 65% Black city with a predominantly Black police department and a Black female police chief.

True just shows its not a racism problem but a culture problem with some police.The police chief does also seem to have handled the situation well immediately suspending the officers and publishing the video. They are not covering up the crime at all.

• Advertisement

Some in the thread here will also argue that suspending them and sacking them so quickly is also racist..........i.e. they were only sacked so quickly because they are black.

I havent read anyone say anything close to that, so perhaps that is not what the other side think. It would probably be better if the blm and pro-cop - whatever the circumstances- types used this case as a comon cause to ensure criminal cops are persecuted and that helps all races.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Now you understand the game. You can't win, as there's always a way of twisting things to conclude that racism is the cause, and not any of the other many things that could explain the problem.

I've been following some of the drill culture stuff going on in America at the minute. And literal kids are killing each-other in the streets in the name of "clout". They aren't fighting to control an area, or over the drug supply, they are literally murdering people for attention on social media. The police in these areas deal with these people, they know how volatile they are, and how easily they'll kill, and that results in fearful police, and fearful people are prone to do stupid things. I'm not justifying anything, but people have to look at the cause and effect here, and not just the result.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

I think I should clarify what I am saying: not that these officers were at all correct, but that the police institution was so quick and willing to cut them loose with such force and immediacy at least in part because they were minority black officers and it was a politically expedient decision therefore to make,

There ya go. Posted very early on in the thread.

I dont think the word is stupid, what they did was criminal, possibly murder.

• Advertisement

That is very disappointing to read. The prosecution of the cops benefits everyone. Dirty police cultilure is not just a danger to the public but also dangerous to clean cops.

I wasn't speaking of this case, I was speaking generally. When you're scared your decision making isn't what it should be, and you do things you wouldn't normally do. The point I'm trying to get across, is that in certain areas at least, some of these police have genuine fears about their own lives and that effects their reaction to events. The "tyrannical police who hunt black people for fun" narrative is so cartoonish, and overlooks the humanity of it all, yet it's the go to narrative for the activists class, who don't really care about how damaging it all is to society as a whole.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Perhaps both are cartoonish the idea of cops commiting crimes because they are "scared" and all cops are racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭NeutralHandle

All five are out on bail apparently. Their bonds are 250-350k. How did they access that much money so quickly?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasreimann/2023/01/27/tyre-nichols-video-footage-released-of-violent-arrest-in-memphis/amp/

The far right white supremacists of America are becoming very diverse

How long can these narratives hold up, when the "face of intolerance" seems very racially tolerant?

And the U.S. still have the real possibility that Trump gets back in..🤔😖

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,566 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yes that 145 pound unarmed man was brutally beaten to death over a sustained period because those 5 police officers were scared.

😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭thegame983

The media these days are almost universally, f**king clowns.

You're beyond disingenuous. There's a post a few posts up, which you likely saw, where I said that I was speaking generally. Of course you've to pretend that you didn't see it, in the name of a petty gotcha. You genuinely behave like a catty school girl, yet you're a middle aged man. I'd tell you to grow up, but you never listen to anything, so why bother?

• Advertisement

Fascinating

Memphis cops charged in Tyre Nichols murder hired after PD relaxed job requirements

https://nypost.com/2023/01/28/memphis-cops-in-tyre-nichols-murder-hired-after-pd-relaxed-job-standards/?utm_source=reddit.com

Tadarrius Bean and Demetrius Haley both joined the Memphis Police Department two years after the department loosened education qualifications.

So in theory, police leaving the force due to how they've been treated, politically speaking, is potentially resulting in a lower standard of officer, which results in events like this. It should speak to the activists who were screaming ACAB all summer a few years ago, but those types never learn, so nothing will be heard.

I see from the article it says "The department also revealed that was even offering waivers for people who have been convicted on felony charges.". Jaysus what a bad idea. Hard to know what way forward is. Police who commit crime must be held accountable; but does that make the job less attractive to some.

So you perform a maneuverer which can only be described as 'If Carlsberg did victim blaming'

You get rightly called out for it and then you just revert to name calling.

Disingenuous indeed. 😂

You can run for Congress with a felony conviction. Even for President AFAIK.

Oddly in some states you are barred from voting if you have a felony conviction.

It's a strange country in some respects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭Augme

In theory that theory seems extremely flawed though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

White people at it again.

Why are we just so unbelievably evil?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Wait are some of police members linked to the huge a Chicago (but nationwide) Vice Lords gang? Some stories saying that their devices have evidence to link them.

If true the white supremacy again has even infiltrated this gang, which then used the post BLM firey but mostly peaceful protests lower police standards to get their guys into a police force to then go kill random civilians? Heavens!

The modern left believe that only White people have personal agency, everyone else is just being blown around by whitey...

Whitey is at his worse if he is working class or middle class and especially if they are Jewish.

The Left today is completely fi678ng nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

What a nonsense, racist, sweeping statement.

If you want to call yourself evil, go ahead, but don't tar everyone with the one brush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Your sarcasm detector must be on the blink there chief.

Glazers Out!

To be honest it is hard to tell sarcasm in a social media post without an emoiji or exclamation point nowadays with the culture war nonsense. That Independent writer got what he wanted though - just a clickbait article to get people riled up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

My apologies then. It's hard to know reading some of the comments on here, and as the above poster says it's difficult to detect sarcasm online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭AlanG

this is a very sad case for sure, RIP. It's hard to know the motivation but form my time living in the US it is obvious that among the black community there are different strata. While you wouldn't think it from the TV, the majority of black people in the US are actually middle class and live in the suburbs. I met several who very much looked down upon certain sub groups within the black community. No different to how many white irish look down upon other white Irish because they have a strong inner city accent or are from a certain area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,251 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I found it quite hard to watch him slumped on the ground while the lads stood around and made excuses for their behaviour.

It didnt take long at all for the claims of "he had his hand on my gun" to come out.

From the fixed camera you can see them lining up kicks to the head and baton strikes to his body, its disgusting that a traffic stop turns to this.

Unfortunately the outcome shows that he was correct to be terrified of these police.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Its some joke they are not all up for murder of the first degree.

https://manshoorylaw.com/blog/difference-between-1st-2nd-and-3rd-degree-murders/

The american classifications are weird but the video was chilling enough without the Police EMTs showing up and leaving him there to die.

A bullet would be too good for the animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

CharlieBo313 is a channel on Youtube, Ive followed for a long time. He's actually very good.

His last few videos are of Memphis if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElnN1OpMQEs&ab_channel=CharlieBo313

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

A 6th Memphis officer is off the force,

had been on administrative leave since the incident, haven't watched the videos but it says he wasn't present at the second scene,

“The news today from Memphis officials that Officer Preston Hemphill was reportedly relieved of duty weeks ago, but not yet terminated or charged, is extremely disappointing. Why is his identity and the role he played in Tyre’s death just now coming to light?” attorneys Ben Crump and Antonio Romanucci said in a statement Monday.

“It certainly begs the question why the White officer involved in this brutal attack was shielded and protected from the public eye.”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - This is a fast moving thread, can we avoid posting unsupported anecdotes from youtube/twitter etc as fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭hawley

Just reading some of the articles on him and he comes across as being a very decent man. His funeral is on today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement