Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 Black police officers charged over death of Tyre Nichols

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,276 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭satguy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,063 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

If even 20% or 25% of US police officers were racist, that would most certainly constitute an "institutionally racist" police force.

The figures would have to be down around 1% or lower for it not to be considered a racist force.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I just seen the footage on twitter, i can't believe how cruel and brutal those cops were. That they would feel free to carry out a relentless and brutal beating like this in the first place let alone with cameras on them. How is that possible. A grown man calling out for his mother while these savages in uniform beat him repeatedly. Its very disturbing.

Video 3 ,, They held him up and pummeled the poor guy, they took turns hitting him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Those guys should spend the rest of their lives in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,707 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's unreal that so called policemen do this for no reason whatsoever, no one was in danger, no ones life is at risk, and yet they feel the need to punch a young man to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Nearly appears to be personal, the others holding him for the big guy to hit him.

I would say 90% of cops have a revealing exaggerated sense of their own self importance, that they are on power trips, they think the can lord it over everyone, and the force will 99.9999% of the time back them up if a complaint is made. Of course in this case no one is going to back them, but in everyday life, for much smaller matters cops are abusing their power for their own amusement

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Lots of protests now after the video was released. The big reaction with George Floyd came after the video was released as well. So it didn’t make any sense to you after all.

He did comply, they pulled him from his car, put him on the ground, pepper sprayed him and then tasered him.

But if we are to listen to you, we complain the next day,,, But your in a coma and then die 3 days later,, And you still have the cops back ???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Been watching developments on CNN and have to say, what a loathsome news channel CNN is. You just know behind the scenes they are treading carefully atm when you know full well in days ahead they'll have someone on to argue that this is all about racism in the US police force.

edit: I've never watched Fox News in my life as it's not on European satellite so if they are loathsome as well that doesn't negate my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Jesus, the riots over this will be insane I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,063 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That bodycam video is very hard to watch. A totally innocent man being attacked by a bunch of out of control savages. Poor guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,830 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Seriously hope the sentences passed down are serious life sentences ie. No parole…

the guy was not even close to being a threat to them or members of the public,

Scumbags, neanderthal savages. Seriously morbid stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I really don’t understand why it was decided to publish the video like this. It’s clear that the usual suspects will use it as a reason to riot and cause destruction.

CNN are making the most of it for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,830 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

White cops killed George Floyd… riots

black cops killed Tyre Nichols…an assault 100000 more vicious and cruel, determined and targeted, rabid….. will there be riots ? we shall see… there are limited protests and there is limited civil disobedience, blocking of a bridge but no riots or violence so far I’m seeing reported..

in a ways you don’t want to see violence as an answer to violence but it is strange that a community can get so up in arms by one killing and one 10 times as brutal go without similar….IF it goes without similar…

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,488 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I must be completely missing something but I am totally confused by the race angle on this. The police angle and brutality is 110% legitimate but this is 5 black cops killing a black man so I don't get why there would be trouble over race specifically. Wouldn't make much sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Just watched this. This is not second degree murder. Taking a run after backing up to kick someone in the head is premeditated.

There is no race angle on this one. This is pure out of control individuals with a uniform. Scum in my mind.

There is no humanity shown to this chap. I don’t know how his poor mother will cope with seeing this.

A young man is dead from a vicious beating by thugs abusing their authority. A young man with a little child. It's just heartbreaking - the photos are gut-wrenching. It seems so wrong to use this lad and his horrific death as a political football, but it's inevitable. Fuq those scumbag cops anyway - what the hell is wrong with them? Like, they didn't even consider the numerous consequences.

If only these police hadn't beaten a young man to death, especially for a piss-poor reason. It's really not hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭FoxForce5

Luckiest man in America this morn is the white cop in the videos who stayed behind to look for his glasses and wash pepper spray out of a fellas eyes while the black lads chased.

I have never and likely will never buy the argument that America's cops are racist and target black people.

A black American is something like three times more likely to die by police than a white American. But a black American is also nearly six times more like to either commit murder or be murdered. And it's over ten times more likely to be a black-on-black murder.

It is not controversial to state that black Americans are far more involved in crime, as the causes of this largely come from a long history of institutional racism and its affect on communities. You cannot argue that racist institutions have resulted in poorer outcomes for black communities and then deny those same outcomes.

The fact is 75% of people killed by US police are white. That there is one population group overly represented in a minority of police killings means there is something happening with that group, not that they are being targeted. That something is a higher rate of crime and interaction with police. It's so incredibly obvious looking at any stats about crime.

If I go on a spree and kill 10 people in the US, 7 of them white, and 3 of them black, you cannot say that I am a racist who is targetting black people just because they are overly represented compared to their population. I am still killing 7 white people. I'm just a murderer who encountered more black people that day than the demographics would suggest I should have.

In a country like America that is so socially segregated in many places, by far the biggest threat comes from one's own race. Black people are dying at extraordinarily rates, not because of the police, but because of each other. People who do their utmost to deflect from this reality are race baiters who want a culture war with white people more than they want to help black communities reduce this problem.

When the stats are drilled into, the race of the police officer is largely irrelevant when it comes to these shootings. If you replaced the US police entirely with black people, the stats wouldn't change. White people would be killed more while black people would be more likely to be killed.

There isn't a single white person in this story and people are still trying to make it about race. "They only got charged so quickly because they're black." is an absurd take. The police chief is also black.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,641 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I saw a BBC clip this morning, but very little on it to make any call. Has anyone seen a video that shows the reality of this arrest/asssult?

just on a separate note: why do people in America, knowing the cops can be tough and firm, almost “aggravate” the cops and create a situation where the cops are then highly strung? They either start questioning the cops or disagreeing or try to be awkward?

Just me, and I don’t live in America, but if cop there pulled me over. I’d shut my mouth and allow them to lead, do their job and hopefully all sorted. The cops have fooking guns, and the slightest volatility can lead to you being shot, or very roughly restrained/treated. Is it worth it trying to challenge/query it?

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,214 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The race angle is utterly irrelevant. But the usual suspects will cry and wail about BLM as they will about everything.

The American police force has a somewhat worrying amount of low IQ thugs/dregs of society. Really should have better education process.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

How on earth can you not make a call? He was murdered. They are being charged with 2nd degree murder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,641 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I know. I was wondering about the video. I don’t doubt its sincerity, I just haven’t seen anything in the video I saw.

Advertisement