Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 5/1/24*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Pretty sure I wouldn't get free accommodation in the US legal or illegal entry

• Registered Users Posts: 39,502 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I wouldn't know I bought my own house.

I also grew up in the 70s and 80s, it was absolutely horrific, half the people in my housing estate didn't finish school and had to emigrate.

I'd suggest anyone yearning for that era again either has memory problems or didn't live through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Kyokushin Grappler

And yet they'll still trot out the 'There's nothing we can do" excuse. There's no place to accommodate them, our Housing and Hospital systems are strained to the max and they're still bringing them in an unsustainable numbers. Ireland is being run by some very Evil people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭francois

How many refugee threads can we cram into IMHO?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Why don't you aim for a unicorn and three wishes for everyone. It's about as likely.

Nobody is going to support a no refugees policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

No. Id argue through Brexit they did try to be the best boys in the class. FG pushed the Single Market as if it was sacred entity whose enforcement (checks) could not be changed to suit our complex border situation. Ireland's hard line on the Single Market has led to a radicalisation of the Tories preventing Britain from returning, and for what purpose? Was the Single Market really under threat and if so why are we making concessions allowing a light touch approach to checks now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭enricoh

Read the 3 posts and couldn't see any mention of colour. Maybe 'twas yerself that brought it up! If all else fails - cry racism!

Trouble is half the lads who show up here that are called refugees are really economic migrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sallywag37

I'd suggest pointing out the shortfalls of the present doesn't indicate a yearning for the past. The harsh realities of today's Ireland has landed us into emigration all over again in case you hadn't noticed, not this time because there isn't a job to be found but because there's nowhere to lay your head. Anyone who thinks pumping the worlds poor in on top of this situation is a good idea ought to look up the meaning of 'sustainability' or perhaps 'powder keg.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

How many of them are asylum seekers?

No comparison whatsoever.

Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

Yes they are so lovely throw open your doors for them all. Lots of room.

Its all going SO WELL.

Ludicrous, the place is already bursting at the seams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Why because the price of ice cream is costing you a good night's sleep?

There is room for another 2 million people in this island, at the very least?

What is the problem with supporting people from other lands or places. What is so wrong with that?

I think your concept that everyone is having them in their houses is naive. The reason why RTE showed for example Ukrainian nationals being housed by Irish volunteers is that it was part of a wider campaign to encourage homeowners to give their houses and properties over. It is called propaganda.

Media raising the issue of overcrowding has the advantage of not only raising public awareness about what is actually happening with refugees in Ireland whilst enabling gormless fascist cretins to be analysed, sub divided and then manipulated by global web platforms, that know where you live, all your bank details, what type of sex you are really into and how often you spend online spouting indecipherable sentences of garbage, which you feel might escalate your polarised over influenced opinion into something that actually matters?

There are worse problems than accommodating people in temporary dwellings whilst they figure out what they are doing? Refugees need amnesty and assistance. When an enemy you don't even understand comes and burns your house down after raping your wives and daughters and laughing at you running away up the street you might have a different focus on how important it is that people who are suffering under perilous regimes and other chaos have the potential to live a life somewhere away from that mayhem. Where ever it is.

Help is available and being offered, I am proud of that and especially proud of the people enabling these options for those who are lost, alone and lonely in a country a long long way from their homes and loved ones. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Well that didn’t take long...

It’s just futile to expect any reasoning from you people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭dublin49

40% of the refugees arriving have no passport and so the simplistic "send them back" doesn't apply,as we don't know where to send them back to and good luck trying to get Italy or Greece to take em back because that was the safe country they came from. .Theres a simple answer to this but also a practically insurmountable problem.Answer: all Airlines/Shipping lines bringing customers into Ireland must provide a photocopy of the Passport that allowed the customer to travel with their company.Problem,airlines or Shipping lines wont play ball and will threaten to stop flying into Ireland if we try to introduce this.I think we will eventually see a version of this but expect massive resistance initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I've just been leafing through a 32 page FoI response from the Dept of Justice relating to 2019. Purchase orders in respect of Asylum Seeker Accomodation,Support and Maintenance. It makes for interesting and sombre reading.5,164 Purchase Orders over €20,000. A small cross section to give some context. Ref 85774: Millstreet Equestrian Services.-€458,640. 85776:Fazyard Ltd 1 & 2 - €961,520,Ref 85777: Mint Horizon €1,019,200, 85859:Vesta Hotels T/A Grand Hotel Wicklow Town €1,196,580,86368:Orona Midwestern Lifts Ltd-€143,216, 86363:EY Chartered Accountants- €340,303,18, 86501 Mosney Holidays PLC- €209,888 86582 Mosney Holidays PLC-€4,704,000 , 86646: Mosney Holidays PLC- €588,000, Millstreet Equestrian Services - €2,504,880. 86776:Cawley Nea TBWA Ltd- €215,179.16....88743: The International Organization for Migration - €413,872.00.... Page after page with multiple payments to many companies. Four years on,I very much doubt that any great degree of sanity or commonsense has managed to infiltrate the Department of Justice in regard to the gay abandon which it scatters (our) money around the "Hospitality",I.T.,Security and Transport Industries in order to ensure "We" maintain our place at the top of the table. NOTHING about this has the slightest to do with actual need for asylum or protection,but in reality it is about maintaining a self feeding trough system for "the usual suspects". The end result of this plantation will be a divided and fearful country,where our futures will be determined by people with a strong and imposing agenda centreing on dominance.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"This country survived handsomely with over 2 million extra inhabitants, long before the invention of modern democracy and its' paraphernalia."

Are you referring to early 19th century, pre famine?? If so, that's bizarre - you had many people living in relative squalor then, in cabins and mud botháns or tramping the country sleeping in sheds and ditches. You can't be serious?

Your average international asylum seeker arriving here now expects a higher standard...........

And therein lies a problem, we have a good population of 20/30 something year olds being screwed on rent and priced out of housing purchase, turned back to live at home, whilst we are lectured on meeting our legal obligations to house anyone who rocks up in Dublin airport. Something is wrong in the kingdom.

So what about the ones who show up with no passports?

What do you want to do with them ?

That very question was put to some NGO on Drivetime today, she waffled her way out of it saying she wasn't there to talk about that issue and of course O Hara didn't push it any further with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Hamachi

How are you helping yourself? Presumably you’re offering up a room in your home, given that the government is broadcasting far and wide that they simply cannot accommodate any further asylum seekers at this time.

I hope you are availing of this singular opportunity to demonstrate your undoubted altruism? I’m so proud of you xxx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I did have a wry smile when I saw O'Gs tweet to would be asylum seekers, not verbatim but along the lines of "We have no accommodation, so if you are currently in a place of safety please stay there"

Now would someone please tell me how someone other than an economic migrant would leave a "place of safety" to come to Ireland under International Protection. Protection from what I wonder?

Regarding our International obligations, I am not in the loop about the legalities of the 1951 declaration, but we as a country are contributing a huge whack of cash under the International Aid Program to many of the countries from which we are taking in asylum seekers. What is going on, is International Aid money from all over the globe not helping these countries sort themselves out or what? Maybe another flippin scandal waiting to break.

So there we are on a Friday Night. Enjoy the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Same thing you do when anyone else tells you they've lost something, send them straight back to the last place they had it, the airport in which they boarded a flight to Ireland.

A zero refugee policy would be nonsense. On the other hand, prompt handling of any asylum applications should be a given, 4 to 6 weeks for the initial decision and a further 2 for any appeal with immediate deportation if no case for asylum is proven.

I suppose the best thing to do is to either help them get one.... or turn them away?

Assuming someone arriving without a passport is going to rob your sweets is not really seeing the big picture?

Plenty of criminals here already getting away with murder, I can't see how a few more can make things any worse?

Passports are kind of the modern equivalent of tattooing medieval slaves with solder irons.

This is not your country, you just live here and pay your taxes towards it? Regimes change, so will Ireland.

I don't have to help anyone if I am being honest. I am not a bad person for not helping either.

But cranking, bitching and wining about the help... and not doing anything to help?

How is it affecting your life?

I really cannot understand people who take umption with other people receiving support, it is worse than dogs fighting over a bowl at din dins?

The lack of compassion is staggering, and that is coming from an immortal vampire lord, who has lived as a blood sucking parasite since the 4th century?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Progressives would prefer wreck the country than have us tut tutted at by the likes of the UN , President Higgins or other respectable worthies so no way will a “ zero refugee policy “ be considered

the whole “ refugees welcome “ philosophy is an article of faith for progressives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Vote for FFG this is what you get.

Imagine the damage they’ll do in another 5-6 year’s if they get in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Currently at pretty much full employment while still retaining access to EU migrant workers

Cause his country is being systemically starved and bombed into oblivion by the Saudi's

Maybe instead of punishing these children and very young adults from running away from a war, we should put pressure on the USA for arming the Saudi army so they can bomb poor Yemeni civilians

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This is a fine example of the kind of bullsh1t that the current circumstances can lead to.

Our international obligations and the additional pressure of the Ukrainian invasion are replicated all over the Western World and are not the fault of the current Government parties. In other words, if a majority Sinn Féin government was elected tomorrow, nothing would change around this.

However.

The current circumstances are absolutely not sustainable. They just aren't. Whether that be the US southern border, or the Greek Islands or the English Channel or the Straits of Gibraltar or wherever.

Lets face it, by comparison, we have it pretty lightly in Ireland.

But no, the current model of industrial scale wholesale criminal human trafficking cannot continue. It can't.

There is a tinder box of resentment building up in so many Countries that it may well kick off an international protest against mass migration the likes as hasn't been seen for a hundred years.

Yes, some it is plain old fascist xenophobia, but we'd be fools to think a huge chunk of it isn't just ordinary working people seeing their earning power disappear and their kids not being able to buy houses and not being able to get Doctor's appointments and they will turn nasty.

I wish I could suggest what is to be done about documentless migration and international protection and criminal trafficking and exploitation, but I do know it won't be solved nationally. It has to be as a new charter of the UN, with local support on the ground in the main sources of this migration.

The old saying goes, cook a fish for someone and feed them for a day, teach them how to fish and feed them for life. We've got to help people that need it, in their own Countries and make disruptive economic migration unattractive or the societal consequences in both origin and destination places will be profound.

• Advertisement

Don't be ridiculous. We have a huge budget surplus. A few billion euros of state investment to build social housing would solve our housing crisis. Also some regulations on foreign ownership of property would prevent foreign hedge funds from buying up irish property for investment purposes.

It's not the refugees that have caused this problem. Refugees have been extremely beneficial to the Irish economy. We're lucky to have them here. The parasites are then bankers and 'investors' who sit on assets and extract economic rent from the irish economy

(if you don't know what 'economic rent' is, look it up)

Advertisement