Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What program are you currently following and what do you have planned for 2023?

Options
  • 29-12-2022 11:10am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What is everyone doing now and what do you plan for the new year?

I'll start...

Currently finishing off a Joe DeFranco program (Goliath 2.0) that has two upper, one lower and one "challenge" day. The main protocol used is cluster sets.

In 2023 I will either stick with Joe D programming or try an upper / lower set up 3-4 days a week where I'll do low volume, high intensity, rotate the lifts and see how strong I can get.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I've been doing a basic Push, Pull, Legs routine for the past 9 months. The routine is low volume with the aim of building strength. I think it has been fairly successful but I need to tidy up the food side of things. While I've gained a good amount of size relative to when I started, a lot of it is fat and I'm starting to look noticeably chubby.

My plan is to transition to a higher volume routine with the aim of getting into half-decent shape by mid-summer.

Post edited by Patsy167 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Program wise its whatever my coach programs for me that block 😂😅. Outside of very rare occasions its 2 squat, 4 Bench and 2 deadlifts a week.

Main goal right now is prepping for my first Irish PF Nationals end of February, and hopefully hitting some PBs. After that will probably go into an off season before doing a comp September or October time again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Started on my new programming yesterday. I decided in the end I would run the high intensity style upper lower programming for a few months and see how it feels. I've been on the fence about this for a while and really until I actually just run it I won't know whether I'm better of staying with the Joe DeFranco programming I'm on.

I have three variations of upper and three variations of lower, and I'm aiming for three alternating workouts per week. So six workouts in total I'll repeat. 10,000 steps a day as a goal and I'll do one moderate to intense BJJ session per week. If I feel good and / or don't do any BJJ I'll do a fourth lifting session.

Setup is:-

UPPER

Bench variation (rotating between Bench, incline DB bench, decline bench)

Shoulder press variation (Seated OHP, OHP, high incline DB bench)

Tricep focus compound lift (PJR pullover, floor press, close grip pushups)

Side or rear delt isolation movement (Side lateral DB or cable variations)

Back width vertical pull movement (Varying grip width pulldowns, chins and rack chins)

Back thickness row variation (BB row, DB row, low cable row)

Tricep isolation (Pushdown variations or free weight lying or standing extensions)

Bicep isolation (Concentration curls and other superinated curl variations if my elbow tendon will stand it, if not, more brachial curl variations like hammer curls, zottmans etc)

LOWER

Hamstring isolation / warm-up (Hamstring curl and iso hamstring curl)

Compound lower body movement (Rotating quad dominant trap bar deadlift, front squat and slightly odd one out but leg press)

Quad isolation (Leg extension varations)

Hamstring compound (RDL variations and possibly back extensions one session)

Calves (Variations but all using a long pause at top and bottom)

Optional - single leg variation (If I have the energy, walking lunges, bulgarian split squats or deficit split squats)

All of the above minimal warm-ups and then two work sets to failure (or as close to true failure as I can make myself go), one in approximately 6-10 rep range and a further lighter set in approximately 10-15 reps. I'll be looking to progressively overload this however I can, and beat the log book by weight or reps week to week.

I'm trying to keep a reasonably standardised eccentric emphasis on most movements.

Even thought it's only two work sets I have a concern already about workout length. In some cases I expect to have to shave either second sets off or some of the isolation work.

The upper body day is Jordan Peters, and he took it largely from Dante Trudel. It's basically the Doggcrapp upper day but with biceps in and some extra isolation work.

The lower body day is also Jordan Peters, and he based that on modifying Dorian Yates' approach. Dorian does leg extensions first to warm up, but Peters and John Meadows opt for leg curl instead.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Back with 531 Fat Loss and Prep

Don't have much time in my life at the moment so it's a great in and out one. Supersetting just suits me at the moment.

Planning on running it for 6 weeks and then maybe move to PHAT or PHUL for something different.

I have ran 531 although it's been ten or more years. Various templates. What's involved in this one?

• Advertisement

Its all about supersetting and getting it done in 45 minutes or less.

4 days a week, Bench, OHP, Deadlift, Squat are the main lifts. 3 warm up sets, 3 work sets and then 5 additional (I tend to vary the volume on this between 5 and 10).

Accessories set for upper lower main lifts.

Does Wendler do online group coaching or a subscription service these days I wonder?

Seems like it's the model that's here to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Cill94

I did this recently and I will just say personally that while I felt like it was great for my conditioning, I didn't feel enough challenging weight was being lifted or overall volume for certain muscle groups to help maintain muscle mass/strength on a cut.

I ended up ditching it after a few weeks for more heavy focused work and got the cardio in from 2-3 days of running.

He has a members-only forum where himself and more experienced lifters will answer Qs. It's not open year round as far as I know.

https://www.jimwendlersforum.com/

If he did rolling follow-along 531 programming on TrainHeroic or via Patreon he could make a lot more. I was on that forum years ago but it was pretty quiet.

But he's never seemed like a guy who cares too much about any of that, seems pretty reluctant to be in the limelight.

Which is ironic because 531 was such a runaway success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Has anyone ran PHAT before, i look the look of it. I like a lot of volume and have been doing a PPL routine for about the last year with 5/6 days a week. The training plan i see seems to have it only as a 4 week plan?

Something I respect a lot about Wendler, and which is rare amongst 'fitness celebrities', is that he knew when to say 'that's enough'. (As in what he is willing to do for 'x' amount more money).

His full time job now is doing strength coaching for his local school's football team, which he does free of charge. The book and merch sales are enough to keep him going it seems. I think there's something really commendable about being content with less and choosing to spend that extra time on your community.

Also to keep in line with the thread topic, my plan is to finish my weight cut at 80kg and then slow bulk for most of 2023, following a 4-6 day upper-lower split.

It's the time piece I really love. Have three young kids and 30/40 minutes at lunch is about the most ill get out of it.

That and the amount of pull ups and dips (ran Krypteria after it and felt good growth in my back, despite my limited work/application)

Post edited by Luxembourgo on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A minor side quest, but was realizing I was slowing down when it comes to hopping some local sea walls/rocks near where I live, so added in some jumps on to a bench warming up this week in the gym. Had a look at some the common variants on YT so will add these in over time. it will be fun seeing the progress here.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

That's very fair then if you're on a tight time schedule. It's definitely an efficient way of using 40-45 mins.

When I look back at 531 there is so much to recommend it for what I'd call "whole life" training. It's a system that you can learn and adapt to different goals.

You run a 531 template focused on strength for a few months, then maybe you deload and you do one of the hypertrophy templates, then summer is coming so you do one with a conditioning emphasis while you diet... You could go on forever. Hence, I guess, why he released "531 Forever" at one point.

It's not surprising, considering they were all influencing each other, but if you look at Wendler's programming, Matt Wenning and Joe DeFranco's programming, they're all incredibly similar really when you get down to it.

If you're on a tight schedule then supersets are king, really. I just finished a Joe DeFranco programme (Goliath 2.0) that was more or less 3 sets of a main lift and then 3 supersets of assistance. Average time to complete the workouts was under 45 minutes.

I'm not doing it, but the next programme DeFranco's online coaching service is running for clients is similar, again the assistance is spread over 3 supersets. Unusually, the workouts are 'reverse order'. So there's a prescribed warm-up component, then the three assistance supersets are performed, and the main lift is at the end of the workout.

Under 45 minutes sounds great, is Goliath 2.0 a paid program?

Couldn't find much online

A few years ago DeFranco stopped publishing much free programming material, he started selling the programs as one-offs (pdfs etc) or else provided them on a subscription site called DeFranco Insiders.

Defranco Insiders is gone, but he provides weekly programming now via the TrainHeroic platform. It's a website/app. Basically has a calendar with the workouts in on a given day, video instructionals and whatnot, and there's a little discussion forum, although it's pretty crappy (The software being crap, not DeFranco). Here's there under "Team Forever Strong".

It's around 30 euro a month or so.

Before Goliath he did a Foundations programme that ran for 12 weeks and the workouts were also about 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Goliath basically was 4 weeks of a focus on long eccentric reps, then 4 weeks focusing on pauses, then 4 weeks using clusters, and then a test week.

I do think at times the programming is a bit glitzy, he throws everything but the kitchen sink in, but then at the same time if you break it down in detail there's a reason for everything and there's enough hard work in there to drive progress. Probably good for all around physique and fitness moreso than strength though. Probably not optimal for just pure hypertrophy either. He describes it as functional bodybuilding / functional hypertrophy these days. A lot of adjustments made for older lifters, expect a lot of shoulder health stuff whether you want to do it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Wasn't lifting much of anything recently so last year I started with a simple Pull, Push, Legs routine I found on Reddit. Was going well but been off over a month now due to a run of sickness and my membership being up (no point in renewing when I wasn't going to be able to go!). Going to start back soon but thinking of changing up the routine. Currently mulling over the options (and no doubt overthinking it).

5-3-1 looks really interesting but I'll struggle to do 4 days a week (young family and work). I might do a test run this week and see if I can manage the Sunday. Does anyone know how long each session is likely to take? I'm assuming less than an hour since it's 1 main and 2 accessory lifts? How do you handle missing a day in a routine like this? If I miss squat day do I just skip it for that week?

I've also noticed that my chest is very atrophied from years of desk work and I think it's causing me shoulder and posture issues. Part of me thinks I should look for something focused on the chest, but that also sounds like I'm veering into "bro science". Probably better to keep things broad and focus on the compound lifts.

Also trying to bring in some yoga in the mornings during my rest days. Trying to keep everything to 30-45mins so I've less excuses to skip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

like everything else, you can do 5/3/1 in a 3 time a week format as well, just keep cycling the work. It goes in phases, so for example, the way i do it is

mon - bench

tue - squat

thur - ohp

fri - deadlift

and I use the off days for rest or crosstraining. If you've only 3 days a week to train, you'd do something like

mon - bench

wed - squat

fri - ohp

mon - deadlift

wed - bench

Jim has a great take on it , and to somewhat paraphrase - ' you can read all the theory you want, and try 100 different programmes, but at some point, you've got to stop f**king around and jsut put some weight on the bar'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Thanks for that. That makes sense and is pretty much what I have been doing with the old program when I think about it.

Ya I've definitely been guilty in the past of spending too long looking and reading about the "optimum" thing to do and not just doing something. You'd swear I was an olympic athlete and not just some lad who spends too much time sitting on his arse 😁

I think it's something most of us are guilty of, i've often been more excited about the idea of buying some new equipment than using it!

My advice regarding 531 is that it's worth getting a PDF of one of the books... it'll give you more templates to choose from and iron out any confusion. Don't base what you do off an article someone wrote about 531. If it's an article by Wendler that's not as bad but it will still be the cliff notes version.

531 workouts can be very short OR some templates with a lot of volume would be well over the hour mark.

Give 531 Fat Loss and Prep a go (ignore the name). I get it done in 30 minutes most days.

The 531 app on android is actually really good. I know wendler doesnt offically endorse it, but Ive found it to be perfect for my needs.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sarasoft.es.fivethreeonebasic

simply do a test for your estimated 1rm, input the info into the app and it'll work out all the pecentages, reps, weights, warmups etc. I think I may have actually paid a tenner for the premium version which gives access to the plate calculator and warmup sets as well

That does look good from what the description is, if it's accurate to what Wendler laid out.

The latest 531 book, 531 Forever, is encyclopaedic but I think he was refusing to release a pdf version because he was sick of pirating.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭foxsake

spent the time since gyms reopening since covid doing bodybuilding high intensity work create from the book "training principals" by Jordan Peters.

3 day split with 3 days conditioning/cardio.

That finished end of the year and this year I'm gonna spend time improving my lifts so taking some programs from Alexander Bromleys book " Base Strength"

Doing the powerbuilding one now to build up high volume in the lifts but low volume on accessories. I like 3 days a week with 2 to 3 days cardio work. so the 4 day split is kinda over 8 or 9 days

After a 6 months I'll assess and maybe move to a lower volume program.

After an injury I'm trying to fit in 1 or 2 kickboxing classes a week also so whatever I do there will be considered a cardio day.

Post edited by foxsake on

How did you like Jordan Peters' approach?

Were you doing push/pull/legs or three full body days?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭foxsake

I loved it tbh and got great results. I found I could focus on beating the log book and that worked better for me than other methods. Also found the single max set with back off meant recover was easier.

I did the 3 day a week ran over 2 weeks of an upper / lower split

Week 1 : Upper 1 , Lower 1, Upper 2

Week 2: Lower 2, Upper 1 , Lower 2

There was a phase 2 in the book - 7 out of 11 days - to move to but tbh I got over a year outha phase one and never felt the need to change to phase 2.

Over course over time if I stalled on a lift I rotated a similar movement but I remained on that method and split.

• Advertisement

Got you. I have actually ran Jordan Peters' upper / lower split as well, although not based on that informational book he put out, but I based it on more recent YouTube videos where he described the set-up. It's more or less the same, just some evolution of rep ranges.

I like the 'beat the log book' approach, he obviously got a significant amount of it from Dante Trudel / Doggcrapp.

Advertisement