Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What program are you currently following and what do you have planned for 2023?

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

The past few weeks, training 2 upper and 2 lower per week, and with a relatively high volume of accessories has conspired - along with the December drinking season, and work stresses - to leave me flattened.

Just feeling absolutely shattered. Old aches and pains making a comeback, which is always a sign, to me, of recovery in the doldrums.

Lately I've been unsure what I'm moving into in 2024. This week I have opted to just 'punch the clock' somewhat, I'm doing a bro split week that looks like-

Chest / triceps

Back / Biceps

REST

Legs

Shoulder / traps

REST

REST

Not the optimal ordering, but it really doesn't matter.

All workouts 4-5 exercises, and relatively low volume, 2-3 work sets at most.

In the new year I am going to weigh up choosing between (1) Whatever Joe DeFranco offers for January, (2) a continuation of this bro split, in some form or (3) some kind of 3 day a week programming, and to try to be more consistent in my BJJ. Could go with any of them, at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Might be a bit off topic, but have been doing the 14 day squat mobility challenge on The Ready State App, and as someone who is stiff as **** it's made a massive difference already.

Back pain almost gone as well (though this might coincide with no work).

2024 will definitely include more mobility work....

Post edited by Luxembourgo on

I'm back at the Yoga for Bjj myself. I did the level 1 cert and was big into it for a while. The most flexible I've ever been. Just dropped it because as I got more advanced it took more and more effort. It seems more practical for me to take more a "minimum effective dose" approach, rather than feeling I have to develop it further and further.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Once my hip injury is completely healed (it's gonna be 4 weeks this Thursday since I busted it, ouch), I'm hoping to stick to 3x weight training sessions per week, plus 1-2 interval runs (5-7k, maybe some sprints if I'm able) and 1-2 rucks per week (the target here is to get up to 1/3 my body weight on my back and be able to walk same pace or very close pace as unloaded). Wish me luck and fingers crossed!

p.s. also the plan is to stick to mostly meat, eggs, cheese and some fermented veg and fruit diet.

Ended up just continuing with Joe DeFranco's programming now that the Christmas chaos has resolved. I'm a creature of habit, I guess. Been on his programming for 1-1.5 years now, I think.

On week 2 of a 12 week upper / lower program. Two upper, one lower per week. Works out as a chest and tricep dominant upper body day, and a shoulders and biceps dominant upper body day. Back sprinkled relatively evenly in there. The lower days have a quad dominant day and a posterior chain dominant day.

As is becoming common with his longer programs, he has it broken down so that there's an eccentric block, and I think we can expect something like an isometric strength block next, or similar, and so on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement