Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

Given how little info Leinster ever divulge about academy players injuries (or really senior squad for that matter), often the Sportsfile photos are the best way of knowing what's going on. With that, I thought it was great to finally see Jack Boyle back training for Leinster today:

Jason Jenkins and Tommy O'Brien out there, doing non-contact stuff it looks like, so hopefully back post 6N. Josh O'Hare from Old Wesley appears to be at training as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Porter healy and Ed Byrne out for Saturday so I guess Milne starts and Hanan or Boyle in on bench. Boyle has been injured and hardly played AIL this year so assume Hanan. Will look pretty fresh faced no matter who we go with!

Nice to see Boyle involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Great news. He usually only takes 1 year contracts I think so this is a departure from that, for the good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Sounds like goodman will be stepping up as Senior coach. McBryde and SOB to stay as well.

No comment on if there's a new defense coach. I suspect promotion for SOB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The 2 year deal makes me think there is something firmed up on him finishing up and possibly something else in the pipeline, also suspect they are going to try to keep continuity on coaching staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I would hope it’s not SOB, defence is a big task for someone only in their second year coaching. Despite his history as a player, I’d prefer someone with more experience coming in there.

Contact skills can be a big part of the normal defence role. Lancaster is currently senior coach and defense coach and leamy/sob was brought in as contact skills to reduce the burden on him.

Leamy had a few years coaching club rugby but just the one year in senior rugby (as contact skills at Leinster) before becoming defence coach at Munster.

I don't think AIL, schools or hurling coaching experience is relevant to coaching a province so imo he was as experienced as sob will be at wnd of season. I could be wrong. He transitioned well to being defence coach at Munster.

Was Leamy not coaching with the under 20’s and then Munster youths?

Brilliant news on Leo.

It's hard not to shake a feeling that Leinster are at least a player light in the second row atm. It seems that (inclusive of academy), Ross Molony and Brian Deeny are the only two fit second rows in the club for this week's game (Soroka supposedly picked up another niggly injury - and is another player who looks more of a backrow).

Over the past 12 months in the position while Joe McCarthy has gone from making his debut to being a full international, and we've signed the excellent Jason Jenkins, we've also lost a lot of players too.

Devin Toner, Jack Dunne and Josh Murphy all gone, and now Charlie Ryan (who admittedly hadn't made a first team debut due to injuries but was highly promising) retired to injury too. We used Josh Murphy almost exclusively as a lock last season (538 of his 568 mins came there imo).

Ryan Baird - 424 of the 604 minutes we used him for was at lock too. He didn't start a game in the backrow till the Munster game in the Aviva in May, and followed that by starting as Glasgow at 6 in the URC QF. This year it's the opposite - he's played 528 of his 606 mins at 6.

All told; last year we split our minutes at lock like this:

Molony - 33%

McCarthy - 13%

Ryan - 13%

Toner - 12%

Murphy - 12%

Baird - 10%

Dunne - 5%

Deeny - 2%

And, crucial to remember, guys like Dunne and Deeny picked up a lot of slack at this exact time of year (trip to SA, fixtures from 6N to European knock outs).

This year, the split is like this:

Molony - 34%

Ryan - 25%

Jenkins - 21%

McCarthy - 9%

Deeny - 8%

Baird - 3%

but there isn't anyone else to call upon. Two academy guys (Soroka and Mangan) aren't really locks. I know Ryan & Baird missed chunks of last season to injury, so the split might have been a little different absent that, but it's still hard to argue that we've lost almost 40% of the minutes we had last year at lock.

Squad overall looks a player light there to me.

• Advertisement

I agree. We are a man short in the second row. Especially if we want Baird as a 6.

A depth signing should be considered for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

He did some coaching with some of the provincial age grade sides but that doesn't have much relevance to pro team coaching

Fair enough, I thought he was working with the Munster academy before moving to Leinster.

Yeah, I think we'll only probably have Conor O'Tighearnaigh going into the academy too in that position, albeit he's looked excellent at underage levels. It's interesting how there's been a bit of chat about Quinn Roux coming back to Ireland, but with Ulster.

You'd wonder if we'd have a role to entice him back to?

If the assumption is we wouldn't be allowed another NIQ there, then the list of Irish qualified players who play lock and are out there are the following I think:

-Jack Dunne - Exeter

-Joe Joyce - Bristol (moving to Connacht)

-Jarlath Gleeson - London Irish (Academy) - played Irish U18s

-Matthew Dalton - Newcastle

-Quinn Roux - Bath

-Ronan McCusker - Doncaster (born in Belfast,

-Sean O'Connor - Jersey

-Ultan Dillane - Stade Rochelais

-John Madigan - Massy

-Darren O'Shea - Vannes

-Jack Regan - Ospreys

And one guy playing in the US: Evan Mintern. Not a stellar bunch.

Other options would be trying to nabb someone from one of the other provinces. where the likeliest candidate could be the troubled but talented Cormac Izuchukwu.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Possibly, but I wonder if it's more to do with ensuring stability in a post-Lancaster and post-Dawson period where having Leo for two years means they retain continuity as you mention. Then he might go back to single years assuming he wants to stay and/or he's not decided to work elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Wouldn't Jack Dunne be an option to come back? Think he only signed a one-year contract with Exeter.

Ulster haven't really used Frank Bradshaw Ryan this season, would he be an option also?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's "troubled" about Izuchukwu? Do Ulster just not rate him or is he out injured yet again?

A one year contract where he is 26 minutes from having more career minutes for Exeter than Leinster.

The thing is Leinster won't be offering a role for a 1st or 2nd choice. Instead they will be offering a depth spot and he is a little too good for that imo while not being good enough to be a 1st or second choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yeah, I cannot for the life of me see Dunne wanting to come back to the exact same role he left the country to get away from.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

I think it was mentioned that he is late arriving to training.

Troubled was OTT here from me, but there are rumours elsewhere with disciplinary issues behind the scenes with Ulster this season - late to training, things like this. I've heard it rumoured from people who've played with him before that he's far from the most committed or dedicated pro you'll encounter.

He's been playing AIL most of this season for Ballynahinch.

He signed a new deal though with Ulster as recently as October till 2026 (i think), so unless there was an issue and breakdown with the Ulster coaching team I don't think he's feasible.

I'd rather take a punt on a guy with exceptional raw athletic ability like him though than attempt to sign a plodder, but tbh it's hard to know what kind of guy Izuchukwu is really at this point.

Yeah, agreed. Don't see that anything has changed really for him. He supposedly had an offer from Connacht at the time he accepted Exeter, so he'd always have other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I don't know the guy. But I think Leinster seem to put a lot of emphasis on the attitude of the player they bring in and person as a whole and not just rugby skills and potential.

Players like Ngatai and alalaatoa and the professionalism they bring to the whole set up.

They haven't signed too many players over the years with question marks over their attitude..

Is Mick Kearney still playing. At 31 he could still do a job I’m sure.

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/where-are-they-now-mick-kearney/

Seems to be done. As an aside, I never knew his brother was the golfer Niall Kearney before seeing that piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Yeah, but this is a guy who Munster passed on even taking into the academy (I think?), and is now not making the grade at Ulster, unless he's injured?

Not sure why we'd sign him tbh.

Advertisement