Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

I ordered the official dock last Friday afternoon and it arrived yesterday morning; superb service! I haven't yet got to use it but my initial aim is for configuring it through desktop mode - it's a bit of a pain on the small screen for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

You don't really need to do any configuring with it, pretty much everything is done through the game mode anyway.

Even setting up X Cloud was a pain in the ass for me tbh!

I gave it a try there, it works very well as has been said by many others.

I'm using a 4k OLED and I can't get the resolution to go beyond SXGA; if I try 1080P for instance (which would do me fine) the screen just refreshes and reverts back to SXGA. Note, I'm not talking about games here; I can set the individual resolutions to higher there without issue, I'm just talking about Steam OS in Game mode.

Post edited by Shred on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭eggy81

Playing uncharted now at 30fps at mostly high settings. Dosent run nearly as well as re2 did though it’s still perfectly fine. Have to reduce settings pretty significantly to lock to 40 and even at 30 you get big drops in some cut scenes. It’s already reminding me why I never finished it on ps4. There’s so much fluff it just takes forever to get going. Good looking game and all but not the best entrance in the series.

Right, mine runs at 4K without issue so there is something up there. Maybe try messing with your tv settings

• Advertisement

UC4 takes a little while to get going but it is absolutely worth the effort. There is a point where you reach a certain destination and from that point onwards it is absolutely brilliant.

Deleted

Post edited by Shred on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Playstation Plus streaming is now working on the deck without needing the windows install. It's a small bit more tricky than others but very manageable and once in a game it plays great.

Got Epic, EA App, Unisoft connect all installed as steam non games. Just download the installer and run it with proton QT. Then it will install them in a hidden folder called .local.

Find it in there steam/steamapp/ compatdata folder and then in a golfer with a random long number. add the exe as non steam game. Then they will run with compatibility proton no bother and can install games away.

Now I've

Xbox cloud streaming

xbox remote.

playstation plus streaming

Playstation remote.

Geforce now

Stadia (for another week)

EA app

Ubisoft connect

Epic

Gog

And steam 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

I have some questions on emulating switch games I own, could anyone drop me a PM please as I am confused (wouldnt be hard)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Ordered one of these over the weekend, 64GB plus a 512GB Samsung SD card. Mainly looking forward to getting it setup for emulating PS2/Dreamcast which seems straight forward enough. Apparently it's possible to load ROMs from a NAS although it looks a bit tricky to setup.

Mainly interested in non-Steam games. How do you know what to use when it comes to which Proton version, Lutris/Bottles etc? Seems to be on a game by game basis. Fortunately not looking to add a ton of non Steam games. I've done a fair bit of reading and I'm still scratching my head a bit, it will hopefully start to make sense once I get my hands on it.

How do you know if it's worth running non Steam games Vs just installing a Windows partition?

I've used Reddit to gather that insight into what to use. But Proton has come on leaps and bounds. You can install Proton Up-QT from the store in desktop mode, it's community-driven and works on way more games. I'll try the latest one (43), or proton experimental in Steam and see if it launches.

Previously you would have to install Epic and Origin games via Lutris/bottles/wine etc. Now you can just download the installers from the website, run them with Proton Up-QT compatibility and they will install on the deck. Then find the .exe file it installs and add it as a non steam game and run it with Proton QT - 43 and then use them to install and run games.

I was playing Medal of Honor through EA App last night and it ran great.

PlayStation plus needed Proton GE-62 I think. But once you get proton Up-QT you have them all.

This video is a nice guide.

Great, thanks. I've done a fair bit of reading on Reddit, some interesting guides but didn't see a clear indication on everyone using one specific method. Once I get familiar with the system it should start to make sense. I've seen a few guides for particular games in interested in which should help me get to grips with how things work.

Just eagerly awaiting it to arrive now. Shipped Monday so not expecting it this week, would be great to mess with it over the weekend though :)

I spend more time setting things up than playing games. I love figuring out new ways to do stuff. And I'm obsessed with my non steam games having artwork so it looks fancy 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭circadian

For anyone interested I've been dual booting my steamdeck for a while now. Windows works well on it for gaming too. Handy for those games that just won't play well on Linux.

This is how I justified buying the thing but have yet to tinker at all! Will defo set up emulators for the new zelda game though

The Switch version of BotW doesn't run that well on Switch, so it might take a while for the new one until it is in a decent state.

Steam Deck arrived yesterday, dispatched Monday, arrived Thursday. Of course the one time my free non-Prime Amazon shipping doesn't show up early it's with my SD card!

Setup EmuDeck with a few games to test. Surprised to see people on Reddit saying you need a PC, I just downloaded ROMs straight to the Deck from my go to website or through my NAS. No messing around with the PC and SD card readers or anything, all through Firefox.

Installed Condemned Criminal Origins as a test with Lutris, didn't follow a guide as I was just winging it before bed. Need to setup controls before playing it then look into the best way to have game art and a few roms on the main screen just to tidy things up a bit.

Solid hardware, really doesn't feel too big or heavy and the screen is bigger than I was expecting. The large bezel makes it look small in pictures but it's a good size. It actually feels a bit delicate, there could be a bit more weight to it. I'll need to get a case on it. Left touch pad is ever so slightly spongy but not too bad as the right one isn't very clicky anyway. Overall nice piece of kit!

EmuDeck should handle the artwork for the Roms. but I found adding them just blew up my non-steam games library. So I just have EmuDeck and then boot into that and then the games.

I also make Steam Collections - I'll have one that has Chrome reworked to be directed to Netflix, Prime, Disney, Spotify etc etc.

I'll have one for the launchers - Epic, Origin, EA App, Heroic, GOG, Ubisoft etc etc.

And one for Games so I can drop the 5-10 games I regularly play.

You can use this website to grab the artwork. All the images are the correct size, just open it in chrome/firefox and download them on the Deck. https://www.steamgriddb.com/

You will need 5 for each game.

• Hero - This is the big banner background when you click into a game.
    • Logo - This is the area where it shows the name of the game when you click into it. (just above the gree play button)
    • Icon - is the tiny image used in the side panel.

You need two box arts for the library as it can show two different ways.

• Vertical - This is used to show games you played in the past, but not the most recent.
    • Horizontal - This is used when it is showing the last game you played.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

There’s a steamgriddb add-on for decky loader now which makes it nice and easy to select the artwork while in gaming mode. Once the add-on is installed you just go into the game settings and select Change artwork. Just tried it there to fill in missing artwork for World of Warcraft and it worked great. There’s a tab for each artwork type and Manage which shows you what you currently have selected if anything.

If I could thank a post twice I would 🤣.

That's a very handy plug in. Will save me hours !!

That CSS plug in is great. Nice rounded edges on images now.

Pulling my hair out here. Tried to get Greenlight installed for Game Pass streaming and no luck. 50/50 chance the few non Steam games work, even EmuDeck isn't working great when doing a new rom list. Downloading some games to SD card would fail or freeze Firefox on completion.

When I search individual games people hint towards a different Proton, do I need to try every one until it works for each game? I tried Proton Experimental for GTA IV based on comments on Reddit and it still didn't work.

The image is Titanfall 2 that I bought on Steam as a test and I'm getting the same screen as all my other non Steam games. Even restarting the device is a bit dodgy with how long it takes and sometimes doesn't seem to come back on by itself. Any ideas?

Do you just want to use game pass for streaming from the cloud rather than the console?

I do have greenlight running but just use edge browser from cloud gaming.

I've seen that screen stay for a few minutes on some games as it loads but I feel like yours might have something else.

Do you have much on it? Would a factory reset be needed?

Just looking to stream from the cloud, I don't have an Xbox. I want to be able to play a bit of Flight Sim or Forza on the couch. I heard performance was better on Greenlight but I'll look into the Edge method.

I don't have too much on it, I've spent 2-3 hours messing around with it each night and barely played anything. EmuDeck is the main reason I bought one and that works fine but I'd really like to play some PC games.

I think I'll reset it this evening as I don't have anything on it. I know there's a bit of tinkering involved but from reading other people's experiences it seems I'm having more trouble.

I use Edge for Xbox cloud and it works great. I do use Greenlight to stream from the console but I've found it less reliable.

Steps here for the browser set up.

This works really well alright, one thing to watch out for is there is no space between the comma and 640 in this line as it looks on that guide: “…--window-size=1024, 640….” It should be “…--window-size=1024,640…”; with the space xcloud launches to a white screen.

(Interesting to see when I copied and pasted it here it didn’t have a comma…so it’s some sort of visual formatting issue on the site.)

A reset seems to have done the trick, for now anyway. Titanfall 2 working, rom manager scanned successful, Greenlight working no problem. Happy to stream Skate 3 as performance on the PS3 emulator isn't as good as people let on.

I've seen a few guides on Reddit for specific older games I have, I'll give them a try before going back to blindly installing my own games via Lutris. It seems some games need an extra tweak or step here and there. Most of the games I'm interested in are early/late 2000s and aren't listed on ProtonDB.

• Advertisement

I've put in an order for one of these deck mates.

It's a simple enough clip but comes with lots of attachments like a kick stand, monitor mount, wall mount, and two pucks (these can be stuck to anything, for example a battery pack) so you can clip them on and off.

Also has a smaller attachment that you can stick to the deck if you have a cover and the clip doesn't fit.

Ships from the US so is about €80 by the time taxes and post are in.

If you have access to a 3D printer they give away the blueprints for free so you can print your own.

Advertisement