Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Deck

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭paddyman

Couldn't resist any longer lol. Put an order in yesterday for a steam deck, hopefully i will have it by next week.

Seems a great way to get some extra gaming in without been tied to the PC / desk. I enjoy tinkering with gadgets as well.

Spent the day (and probably the next few days) looking at YouTube vids and guides for doing various things.

Now the painful waiting game.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

Started resident evil 2 remake last night. Got on steam sale. Never played it before. Wow what a great looking game on deck. Plays very well. I’d say 60fps is achievable easily but dropped to 40 to avoid tinkering too much when slowdown happens in busy sections. Lighting and rain/water effects are gorgeous on the small screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭McFly85

The deck has easily become my most used system, it really is an unbelievable piece of kit. It’s been so nice over Christmas to get comfortable on the couch while playing.

Currently playing Dark Souls 3 which plays wonderfully once you kick the refresh rate down to 50Hz with medium settings, and have tales of arise up next!

The trackpad works surprisingly well with games that require mouse input like Dwarf Fortress. Been playing mostly indie games. Dave the Diver was great. Tried God of War (will go back to it) but got distracted by Crimson Echoes. You get like 4+ hours on the battery on a lot of indie games. Love it. Flying back home with the steam deck is a dream.

Also tried Elden Ring again but my save from PC doesn't work. Getting that dreaded error message. I don't like the Souls series enough to start over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭Devilfish698

Roughly how long does the delivery take to Ireland for anyone who has purchased recently? Want to try buy one this week or next week. Just curious to know how long it took to arrive. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭Devilfish698

Thanks. That's not too bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Same here, but I do play the PS5 and Xbox remotely on the deck much more than native PC games as it gives much better battery life.

Are you streaming them? What apps do that? How much battery life do you get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Shred

It took exactly 10 days for me (to Dublin); it was shipped 5 days after ordering and arrived a further 5 days later.

• Advertisement

Chiaki for PS5. It streams your PS5 to the deck. It's a Linux app so works without much fuss. Just pop to desktop mode and get it from the little shopping bag in the bottom left. You do need a ID that is pulled from your log in URL.

Xbox I have XCloud running on Edge browser. I have installed the Xbox console streaming too on my windows SD card.

They work great and I get 4-6 hours. I'd usually get 1.5-2ish playing a pc game on the deck.

I could potentially use steam link to play the game on the PC and stream to the deck too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Bought a dock for my steam deck yesterday an it seems to work quite well. Seems more reliable than my windows laptop hooked up to a tv anyways. Its nice that you can have completely different profiles for external controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 -Syn-

Has anyone bought the Steam Deck with Steam wallet credit? I have some vouchers I could use to get Steam credit but don't want to load up and then not be able to use it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Yeah I had put a couple of hundred in to lessen the final amount. Works fine

Yup that's how I paid for it. Put 100 a month in for 5 or so months.

Just finished Leon’s story on re2 on deck. Absolutely class game. Runs like a dream in the deck. It says unsupported on 3 in steam but apparently it plays fine. Highly recommend 2 for anyone that hasn’t played it and thinking of playing on deck

• Registered Users Posts: 13 -Syn-

Great stuff cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Yea I had played it a few times before but it still floored me with how well it ran. I would expect RE4 to perform well on it as well considering it is also coming out on PS4.

And that it’s Re-Engine. I’m really looking forward to that and Jedi survivor in the next few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I can confirm that RE3 played fine for me on Deck - replayed both 2 and 3 last year, and had zero issues with either of them without having to change any settings

I ordered the official dock last Friday afternoon and it arrived yesterday morning; superb service! I haven't yet got to use it but my initial aim is for configuring it through desktop mode - it's a bit of a pain on the small screen for me!

You don't really need to do any configuring with it, pretty much everything is done through the game mode anyway.

Even setting up X Cloud was a pain in the ass for me tbh!

I gave it a try there, it works very well as has been said by many others.

I'm using a 4k OLED and I can't get the resolution to go beyond SXGA; if I try 1080P for instance (which would do me fine) the screen just refreshes and reverts back to SXGA. Note, I'm not talking about games here; I can set the individual resolutions to higher there without issue, I'm just talking about Steam OS in Game mode.

Post edited by Shred on

Playing uncharted now at 30fps at mostly high settings. Dosent run nearly as well as re2 did though it’s still perfectly fine. Have to reduce settings pretty significantly to lock to 40 and even at 30 you get big drops in some cut scenes. It’s already reminding me why I never finished it on ps4. There’s so much fluff it just takes forever to get going. Good looking game and all but not the best entrance in the series.

Right, mine runs at 4K without issue so there is something up there. Maybe try messing with your tv settings

• Advertisement

UC4 takes a little while to get going but it is absolutely worth the effort. There is a point where you reach a certain destination and from that point onwards it is absolutely brilliant.

Deleted

Post edited by Shred on

Playstation Plus streaming is now working on the deck without needing the windows install. It's a small bit more tricky than others but very manageable and once in a game it plays great.

Got Epic, EA App, Unisoft connect all installed as steam non games. Just download the installer and run it with proton QT. Then it will install them in a hidden folder called .local.

Find it in there steam/steamapp/ compatdata folder and then in a golfer with a random long number. add the exe as non steam game. Then they will run with compatibility proton no bother and can install games away.

Now I've

Xbox cloud streaming

xbox remote.

playstation plus streaming

Playstation remote.

Geforce now

Stadia (for another week)

EA app

Ubisoft connect

Epic

Gog

And steam 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

I have some questions on emulating switch games I own, could anyone drop me a PM please as I am confused (wouldnt be hard)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Ordered one of these over the weekend, 64GB plus a 512GB Samsung SD card. Mainly looking forward to getting it setup for emulating PS2/Dreamcast which seems straight forward enough. Apparently it's possible to load ROMs from a NAS although it looks a bit tricky to setup.

Mainly interested in non-Steam games. How do you know what to use when it comes to which Proton version, Lutris/Bottles etc? Seems to be on a game by game basis. Fortunately not looking to add a ton of non Steam games. I've done a fair bit of reading and I'm still scratching my head a bit, it will hopefully start to make sense once I get my hands on it.

How do you know if it's worth running non Steam games Vs just installing a Windows partition?

I've used Reddit to gather that insight into what to use. But Proton has come on leaps and bounds. You can install Proton Up-QT from the store in desktop mode, it's community-driven and works on way more games. I'll try the latest one (43), or proton experimental in Steam and see if it launches.

Previously you would have to install Epic and Origin games via Lutris/bottles/wine etc. Now you can just download the installers from the website, run them with Proton Up-QT compatibility and they will install on the deck. Then find the .exe file it installs and add it as a non steam game and run it with Proton QT - 43 and then use them to install and run games.

I was playing Medal of Honor through EA App last night and it ran great.

PlayStation plus needed Proton GE-62 I think. But once you get proton Up-QT you have them all.

This video is a nice guide.

Great, thanks. I've done a fair bit of reading on Reddit, some interesting guides but didn't see a clear indication on everyone using one specific method. Once I get familiar with the system it should start to make sense. I've seen a few guides for particular games in interested in which should help me get to grips with how things work.

Just eagerly awaiting it to arrive now. Shipped Monday so not expecting it this week, would be great to mess with it over the weekend though :)

I spend more time setting things up than playing games. I love figuring out new ways to do stuff. And I'm obsessed with my non steam games having artwork so it looks fancy 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭circadian

For anyone interested I've been dual booting my steamdeck for a while now. Windows works well on it for gaming too. Handy for those games that just won't play well on Linux.

This is how I justified buying the thing but have yet to tinker at all! Will defo set up emulators for the new zelda game though

The Switch version of BotW doesn't run that well on Switch, so it might take a while for the new one until it is in a decent state.

Steam Deck arrived yesterday, dispatched Monday, arrived Thursday. Of course the one time my free non-Prime Amazon shipping doesn't show up early it's with my SD card!

Setup EmuDeck with a few games to test. Surprised to see people on Reddit saying you need a PC, I just downloaded ROMs straight to the Deck from my go to website or through my NAS. No messing around with the PC and SD card readers or anything, all through Firefox.

Installed Condemned Criminal Origins as a test with Lutris, didn't follow a guide as I was just winging it before bed. Need to setup controls before playing it then look into the best way to have game art and a few roms on the main screen just to tidy things up a bit.

Solid hardware, really doesn't feel too big or heavy and the screen is bigger than I was expecting. The large bezel makes it look small in pictures but it's a good size. It actually feels a bit delicate, there could be a bit more weight to it. I'll need to get a case on it. Left touch pad is ever so slightly spongy but not too bad as the right one isn't very clicky anyway. Overall nice piece of kit!

EmuDeck should handle the artwork for the Roms. but I found adding them just blew up my non-steam games library. So I just have EmuDeck and then boot into that and then the games.

I also make Steam Collections - I'll have one that has Chrome reworked to be directed to Netflix, Prime, Disney, Spotify etc etc.

I'll have one for the launchers - Epic, Origin, EA App, Heroic, GOG, Ubisoft etc etc.

And one for Games so I can drop the 5-10 games I regularly play.

You can use this website to grab the artwork. All the images are the correct size, just open it in chrome/firefox and download them on the Deck. https://www.steamgriddb.com/

You will need 5 for each game.

• Hero - This is the big banner background when you click into a game.
    • Logo - This is the area where it shows the name of the game when you click into it. (just above the gree play button)
    • Icon - is the tiny image used in the side panel.

You need two box arts for the library as it can show two different ways.

• Vertical - This is used to show games you played in the past, but not the most recent.
    • Horizontal - This is used when it is showing the last game you played.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

There’s a steamgriddb add-on for decky loader now which makes it nice and easy to select the artwork while in gaming mode. Once the add-on is installed you just go into the game settings and select Change artwork. Just tried it there to fill in missing artwork for World of Warcraft and it worked great. There’s a tab for each artwork type and Manage which shows you what you currently have selected if anything.

If I could thank a post twice I would 🤣.

That's a very handy plug in. Will save me hours !!

That CSS plug in is great. Nice rounded edges on images now.

Pulling my hair out here. Tried to get Greenlight installed for Game Pass streaming and no luck. 50/50 chance the few non Steam games work, even EmuDeck isn't working great when doing a new rom list. Downloading some games to SD card would fail or freeze Firefox on completion.

When I search individual games people hint towards a different Proton, do I need to try every one until it works for each game? I tried Proton Experimental for GTA IV based on comments on Reddit and it still didn't work.

The image is Titanfall 2 that I bought on Steam as a test and I'm getting the same screen as all my other non Steam games. Even restarting the device is a bit dodgy with how long it takes and sometimes doesn't seem to come back on by itself. Any ideas?

Do you just want to use game pass for streaming from the cloud rather than the console?

I do have greenlight running but just use edge browser from cloud gaming.

I've seen that screen stay for a few minutes on some games as it loads but I feel like yours might have something else.

Do you have much on it? Would a factory reset be needed?

Just looking to stream from the cloud, I don't have an Xbox. I want to be able to play a bit of Flight Sim or Forza on the couch. I heard performance was better on Greenlight but I'll look into the Edge method.

I don't have too much on it, I've spent 2-3 hours messing around with it each night and barely played anything. EmuDeck is the main reason I bought one and that works fine but I'd really like to play some PC games.

I think I'll reset it this evening as I don't have anything on it. I know there's a bit of tinkering involved but from reading other people's experiences it seems I'm having more trouble.

I use Edge for Xbox cloud and it works great. I do use Greenlight to stream from the console but I've found it less reliable.

Steps here for the browser set up.

This works really well alright, one thing to watch out for is there is no space between the comma and 640 in this line as it looks on that guide: “…--window-size=1024, 640….” It should be “…--window-size=1024,640…”; with the space xcloud launches to a white screen.

(Interesting to see when I copied and pasted it here it didn’t have a comma…so it’s some sort of visual formatting issue on the site.)

A reset seems to have done the trick, for now anyway. Titanfall 2 working, rom manager scanned successful, Greenlight working no problem. Happy to stream Skate 3 as performance on the PS3 emulator isn't as good as people let on.

I've seen a few guides on Reddit for specific older games I have, I'll give them a try before going back to blindly installing my own games via Lutris. It seems some games need an extra tweak or step here and there. Most of the games I'm interested in are early/late 2000s and aren't listed on ProtonDB.

• Advertisement

I've put in an order for one of these deck mates.

It's a simple enough clip but comes with lots of attachments like a kick stand, monitor mount, wall mount, and two pucks (these can be stuck to anything, for example a battery pack) so you can clip them on and off.

Also has a smaller attachment that you can stick to the deck if you have a cover and the clip doesn't fit.

Ships from the US so is about €80 by the time taxes and post are in.

If you have access to a 3D printer they give away the blueprints for free so you can print your own.

Advertisement