Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone accepting they can't compete?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Where have they discussed the upgrade? I'm hoping they will follow suit and enable 5G for all customers soon as my 3G/4G signal is brutal but there's 2 5GB towers near me and would like it without needing to pay extra for the privilege.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Cork981

They must have been waiting for the MBSA to complete before going full steam ahead.

https://n.vodafone.ie/network/3G-upgrade.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,438 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I know of one public sector body that did a very serious evaluation of network providers, including testing at multiple locations round the country, about 12-18 months ago, and Vodafone came out as a clear winner on network quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Cork981

Both Eir and Three have upgraded and built a huge number of sites in the last 12-18 months though.

I was with Vodafone for years but currently with Eir for 1/3 of the price. Eir coverage is much better around many areas in Cork at the moment.

I'll be moving to 3 once they launch wifi calling on iOS. They are the only provider with NR 5G in my area.

3 have won all popular operator awards from OpenSignal, SpeedTest.net and umlaut.

OpenSignal

Speedtest Awards

Umlaut Audit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

That’s good to hear, but i know of a good few large towns where Vodafone only support 3G while others are 4G/5G. It’s not really acceptable in 2023 especially the prices they charge. Who knows, the next few months might be a turnaround.

As Cork981 has said Eir have done some serious upgrades in the last 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

My service is gone to crap in the last 3 months, most notably over Christmas where I've fallen back to 3G the majority of the time when I used to have 4G almost always and it never improved since. Within the last week now I'm getting texts saying I've missed a call when the phone is on the desk in front of me and other times calls breaking down. I thought initially it was just my phone but same is also happening on my work phone. iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13

I've stuck with Vodafone for years because of their Red Roaming in the US but I'm feeling like it's just not worth it anymore. Vodafone 5G availability is shocking scarce, Three 5G while widely available speeds haven't been great in my experience. Eir on the other hand, I'd have dismissed for years and years have built out their network in the last 18 months and find their network great anywhere I've tested it. Pity no one matches Vodafone Red Roaming in the US & Canada or I'd switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭GIMP

Does your phone support wifi calling its an alternative if you have poor indoor coverage and obviously if you have home wifi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Yes. I’m in the USA a lot and it’s the main reason i’m still with Vodafone. This year will be telling with the planned upgrades. My contract is up in 6 months. There is a way you can roam in the USA cheaply with EIR. If you buy a data e sim on an iphone you can actually use EIR wifi calling through it without actually being connected to wifi.

It does. I had to switch it off months ago as I was finding the mobile network better- I work from home but tend to walk about when on conference call. If I was at the boundary of the wifi network and it broke down I'd be running to get back into wifi signal for the coverage. I have since turned it back on because of the recent issues but would prefer to just be able to forget about wifi calling and just have good Vodafone coverage again. Hopefully they shut down their 3G in my area sometime sooner rather than later which might prompt them to fix their coverage locally again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭cloudhopper19

Sky Mobile wil use the Vodafone network when it launches in Ireland this year.

One of the reasons I stuck with Vodafone also as I travel with work weekly to US. If you phone is unlocked and can use e-sim you should use I just found out about this new eSIM marketplace, MobiMatter! Use the code 5MXH810858 to receive 50% cashback (up to $5) on your first purchase!

Download the app:

iOS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mobimatter/id1478409175

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.glowfishlabs.mobimatter&hl=en&gl=US

I use mobimatter e-sim when travelling and its great I just found out about this new eSIM marketplace, MobiMatter! Use the code 5MXH810858 to receive 50% cashback (up to $5) on your first purchase!

Download the app:

iOS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mobimatter/id1478409175

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.glowfishlabs.mobimatter&hl=en&gl=US

Or visit the website: https://mobimatter.com

To be honest I think I'd just go with AT&T Prepaid eSim instead. I rather go with one of the main operators so you're not piggybacking off an MVNO etc with lower priority eg a Three UK sim roaming in the US say. I like to have good solid calls, texts and data service. I've used several MVNOs etc over the years but now I'm happy to pay an extra few $ or € for proper service. Up until recently you could only get an AT&T eSim in a store but you can now buy them online which is handy ahead of time- service when you land.

Maybe the 3G shutdown and upgrades to their network will restore my confidence in them, fingers crossed as I've been a (mainly) happy Vodafone customer for a good 15/20 years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I'm the same. My wife is American so I'm usually there at least once a year, sometimes twice. I have one of the legacy SIM only plans that doesn't support VoLTE or Wi-Fi calling, but it does have unlimited roaming in the US rather than the daily data cap they now offer. So I've been reluctant to let it go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Vodafone never tried to compete, they always positioned themselves as a reliable premium mobile phone network for business. The broadband business is only simple resale of British Telecom broadband. For every customer they sign up they have to give a fixed amount to BT, the only way for them to make more money in that game is to sign up customers who pay on time and aren't prickly.

Advertisement