Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vodafone accepting they can't compete?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I wonder are Vodafone not putting much money into their network as they may see a potential merger between them and 3 like what is going to happen in the UK. It wouldn't make sense to throw money at new infrastructure only to end up merging with a network that has better coverage already in those areas.

Vodafone confirms merger talks with Three UK to scale up 5G (siliconrepublic.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Is this "roaming" tactics as it was back then up to ~2016 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GIMP

I have a Vodafone and 3 sim in my phone and I have yet to see 3 better than Vodafone for reception. I use the 3 as a backup and when I have poor Vodafone reception I find both networks poor in a particular area. Just my experience so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Look at the comreg reports, VF has a massive customer base. Why would they want to flood their network with low income high data usage customers, 48/three/gomo already has all the home streamers and you'd notice it on network speeds. Can't blame Vodafone to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

There is no way a merger/buy-out that would reduce the market to just 2 operators should be allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Vodafone can’t compete anymore. It’s a dated old archaic network that they have no real interest in modernising it’s an old aging network.. They have 3G only masts where 4G should have been long ago not to mention their slow roll out of 5G. Eir has surpassed them. Take a look at the mast locations on comreg and see for yourself. The only reason i’m with Vodafone is because of red roaming for when i’m in the usa and need my phone for calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's a much different landscape to the Eircell v Esat Digifone days. Many more secondary networks like Tesco, An Post etc in play. Only two infrastructure providers isn't so bad when you consider that there's always been one for land line, one for gas piping and one for electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

reading all the comments on this and hope someone can help me. If I switch to payg, (Im currently on sim only rolling contract), can I buy a phone elsewhere and just use my sim on the current (ancient!) phone? My company just told us they will pay 20-25 toward my phone starting form this month so I cant really go on to their bill pay options. Problem is I really need a new phone but the cheapest Vodafone have is about €400 for an iPhone se. and I cant afford that! Id like to stick to iPhone but Im not picky what model etc. I have been in to Vodafone twice but they dont seem to help at all. Just keep saying its either switch to minimum €40 bill or payg but no phone offer. I hope this makes sense! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭KildareP

You're not going to get an iPhone for anything less than that unless you go secondhand from swappie or refurbed or the like. Retail iPhones aren't discounted.

If you buy the likes of the iPhone from a network then it will also be locked to that network and most require in excess of €100 in top-ups to unlock.

If you really want an iPhone but don't want to pay upfront for one and don't want to go billpay, then look at buying from somewhere that offers Huum credit. You'll ultimately pay about 10% on top of the purchase price in interest and fees but you'll have a flat monthly replayment.

If you have a good condition phone, you might get something back from somewhere like CEX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Siteviewer is a bit of a disaster for receiving updated data. Wouldn't really use it as your yardstick. Cellmapper is user generated but:

Provider Network Type Towers 

3 - Ireland (272 5)LTE 2,358

Eir - Ireland (272 3)LTE 1,920

Vodafone - Ireland (272 1)LTE 1,563

Three did spend a chunk of change but also have to serve loads of high usage users pounding the network. Eir really impressed me in the last 18mo with how many on street monopoles they've deployed. They're EVERYWHERE.

Vodafone still have their big corporate contracts, easy money. Id say they can coast for another year or so before its invest or die time.

They recently updated siteviewer. I have noticed Vodafone have turned off “umts” on a few masts in some towns. Castlerea Co Roscommon being one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

• Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Two new Vodafone 20m+ masts were installed here in NE Co Limerick earlier last year, updated recently on siteviewer, carrying all services GSM/UMTS/LTE/NR

One in Mullingar, Maynooth and some around Dublin. I wonder what will happen with the An Post crowd. They’ll probably be dumped down to edge on a voice call enjoying lower quality.

Yeah that seems likely for now, I assume PM will get access to VoLTE at some point. Wi-Fi calling could be kept as the “premium” Vodafone feature.

Sky mobile should be launching in Ireland some time this year, I’d be surprised if they don’t offer VoLTE, wifi calling and maybe 5G access.

Any idea who Sky will use as their carrier?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

It doesn’t actually make any economic sense not to use VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling. They’re not just about consumer convenience, it’s about getting rid of the circuit switched voice services and moving to more efficient all IP infrastructure.

There’s nothing cheaper about retaining 3G/UMTS and the older voice platform.

2G GSM will be maintained, albeit in virtual form over an IP system for universal access reasons, but 3G is a waste of spectrum and equipment. Phones are gone to 4G/5G and the lifecycle of a smartphone is not that long so they move forward quickly. It’s very unlikely there are many 3G only devices out there.

Vodafone.

it’ll be interesting if they’ll try and match Eirs €9.99 unlimited 5G SIM only which is very competitive.

https://www.skygroup.sky/article/sky-to-enter-mobile-market-in-ireland

I see Vodafone updated their info on this big 4G/5G upgrade from 3G. Apparently next month it’s going ahead full steam. Oh they finally upgraded to 4G in Drumlish Co Longford in the last day or so 😆😆

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Where have they discussed the upgrade? I'm hoping they will follow suit and enable 5G for all customers soon as my 3G/4G signal is brutal but there's 2 5GB towers near me and would like it without needing to pay extra for the privilege.

They must have been waiting for the MBSA to complete before going full steam ahead.

https://n.vodafone.ie/network/3G-upgrade.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I know of one public sector body that did a very serious evaluation of network providers, including testing at multiple locations round the country, about 12-18 months ago, and Vodafone came out as a clear winner on network quality.

Both Eir and Three have upgraded and built a huge number of sites in the last 12-18 months though.

I was with Vodafone for years but currently with Eir for 1/3 of the price. Eir coverage is much better around many areas in Cork at the moment.

I'll be moving to 3 once they launch wifi calling on iOS. They are the only provider with NR 5G in my area.

3 have won all popular operator awards from OpenSignal, SpeedTest.net and umlaut.

OpenSignal

Speedtest Awards

Umlaut Audit

That’s good to hear, but i know of a good few large towns where Vodafone only support 3G while others are 4G/5G. It’s not really acceptable in 2023 especially the prices they charge. Who knows, the next few months might be a turnaround.

As Cork981 has said Eir have done some serious upgrades in the last 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

My service is gone to crap in the last 3 months, most notably over Christmas where I've fallen back to 3G the majority of the time when I used to have 4G almost always and it never improved since. Within the last week now I'm getting texts saying I've missed a call when the phone is on the desk in front of me and other times calls breaking down. I thought initially it was just my phone but same is also happening on my work phone. iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13

I've stuck with Vodafone for years because of their Red Roaming in the US but I'm feeling like it's just not worth it anymore. Vodafone 5G availability is shocking scarce, Three 5G while widely available speeds haven't been great in my experience. Eir on the other hand, I'd have dismissed for years and years have built out their network in the last 18 months and find their network great anywhere I've tested it. Pity no one matches Vodafone Red Roaming in the US & Canada or I'd switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GIMP

Does your phone support wifi calling its an alternative if you have poor indoor coverage and obviously if you have home wifi?

Yes. I’m in the USA a lot and it’s the main reason i’m still with Vodafone. This year will be telling with the planned upgrades. My contract is up in 6 months. There is a way you can roam in the USA cheaply with EIR. If you buy a data e sim on an iphone you can actually use EIR wifi calling through it without actually being connected to wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

It does. I had to switch it off months ago as I was finding the mobile network better- I work from home but tend to walk about when on conference call. If I was at the boundary of the wifi network and it broke down I'd be running to get back into wifi signal for the coverage. I have since turned it back on because of the recent issues but would prefer to just be able to forget about wifi calling and just have good Vodafone coverage again. Hopefully they shut down their 3G in my area sometime sooner rather than later which might prompt them to fix their coverage locally again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭cloudhopper19

Sky Mobile wil use the Vodafone network when it launches in Ireland this year.

Advertisement