Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Civil Service - Post Lockdown - Blended Working?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'm against forced WFH or expected WFH, bit of a different story completely.

It's nothing to do with public sector. I know of two private sector family members who have decided to WFH today given the conditions (one cyclist, one bus user).

I don't see what the problem is. Are we supposed to be showing some macho tough guy image to impress someone? It's not hard to slip while walking and break an ankle or slip off a bike and break a collarbone on a patch of ice. There was definitely ice patches out this morning between 8-9am.

With all the WFH infrastructure in place, it makes perfect sense for people to minimise risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Suppose the difference is that if someone has that option and they choose to WFH, then good luck to them.

Whereas people being asked to attend an office and look to weather as a reason not to, against the wishes of their employer, are clearly taking the piss.

I doubt there’s 5 people in the whole of the country who fall into the second category fwiw. 99.9999% of people just get on with it. A few might grumble but they’ll still do it (as they should)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Is there a good reason for their employer to insist that they be in the office, or is it just dinosaur management / hostility to WFH despite it working very well for nearly three years now?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭skidmarkoner

Off topic folks but I noticed that alot of departments have open competitions running that are not on public jobs.

Is there a thread where people share these opportunities in one forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Augme

From my experience quality of work is far better and finished sooner in a blended environment conpared to a fully wfh environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

There your employers like it or not. There is a blended framework agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭raheny red

What ones would these be? CRO, Legal Aid Board, etc., or do you mean somewhere different?

Dper, housing agency, Dept of AG and revenue all seem to have comps running

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Henryh30

Hi there, I am starting with the Department of Education soon and I'm just wondering does anyone know what their wfh policy is? I will be an E.O.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭spark_tank

The Dept of Education dont have a policy. Probably the last department not to have a policy. The temporary option is 3 days wfh but I think theres a battle going on between the policy makers over 2 days wfh or 3 days wfh.

Nobody has flexi-time in the Department at the moment either. Again, everyone other Dept seems to have sorted this out months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Henryh30

Thanks for that...do I have to work my probation first before I will get wfh or will it happen quicker than that?

Jokeshop

Probably too busy with the daily prayer vigils to get this sorted 😜

Life ain't always empty.

Usually if they don't have one in place yet it depends on head of business unit. I'd advise asking PAS for a contact in local hr and asking them. Usually they are nice enough to answer all your queries before starting.

Says a great deal (not in a good way) about the attitude of the people at the top in such an organisation towards their staff.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

Can't believe they still print teacher payslips and have no online portal for wages

Plenty of government jobs are the same including Dublin City Council for example

Fairly ridiculous in 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

I have a question about my situation now that I've found a thread on this.

I'm working as a technician in a college and currently the college itself has no blended policy or so I'm told by HR.

I'm looking online and see dit has a policy and the other college in my county has a policy set in place last year, in fact nearly everyone does but not us.

To make matters worse admin staff have been sorted out by forsa as of last year.

We had been working on a hybrid model for nearly 3 years but recently have been told that it's no longer possible for the moment because we don't have enough bodies on site. Which sounds like fair reasoning on paper but it really isn't. A lot of our work can be completed remotely.

Complicating things further is a collegue of mine who IS getting remote work on some days every week because she cannot drive to work and is relying on a lift who on some days isn't there but I'm being refused.

What do you think if anything I should do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

1. Join your union.
    2. Outline all of the above to your union rep.
    3. Point out to HR that they seem to be discriminating against you because some staff are allowed WFH in the absence of a policy, but you aren't; and that government policy is that everyone can apply for the right to WFH (*), so can you apply now, or do you have to wait until the bill becomes law, and can you apply directly or should apply via your union, that you joined in Step 1.

(*) https://enterprise.gov.ie/en/news-and-events/department-news/2022/november/202211092.html#:~:text=Under%20the%20new%20legislation%20employees,of%20Practice%20when%20considering%20requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Jane2021

In my department the team I’m on only come into the office one day a week. However I’m on probation and I have been told by management I’ve to go in full time. Nobody is in there training me and all the job can be done online and any training that occurs is done online. Anytime I have a question I’ve to contact someone working from home via Skype. Any advice on what I should do in this situation? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭exitstageleft

I'd just ask your line manager what your unit's core day is and come in then. I think once you have that in an email your fine.

Although, you probably need to put in a blender work application first. If you haven't already done it, that should be your first step.

• Advertisement

As you’re on probation, I’d keep the head down and plough on. If you feel you need more training, let your supervisor know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

I'd say the same, you've been told by management that you have to attend fulltime but after your probation is up after the 6 months no doubt you'll be in just the one day a week like the rest of the team. - it seems to be a policy alot of departments ae going with for new staff. While I know it doesn't make sense from what you are saying regarding training etc at least there is an end in sight and you only have to do it in the short term!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Goldenkt

Hi folks, could anyone give an overview of the blended work/flexi situation in DoH?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Jane2021

Anyone working in the CSO know if staff on probation can apply for blended working? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭berrecka

Hi all, Im wondering where I stand on my blended working application - I work for the HSE, who in Dec last published their Blended Working policy. Under this, in early Feb I put in a request for blended working via my manager, who came back with a reply from HR that:

There is currently no local hospital policy on Blended Working and we are currently awaiting further guidance on this from (the hospital group) perspective. 

Do I just have wait it out, or what? I know there is reluctance from hosptial management, but if it is HSE national policy, can I do anytihng?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

This is a question probably best asked of your union rep, to be honest. Government policy is that there should be access to blended working and it should only be refused for good reason (e.g. in the HSE there should be nothing to stop an accounts person WFH but a hospital porter is a different story), but I've no idea how it's being implemented in the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭berrecka

Thanks! No union for my type of role, but certainly more akin to accounts than a nurse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,542 ✭✭✭billyhead

Skype for business is used by most Departments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

Last year, sure, but most are migrating to Microsoft Teams now

Advertisement