Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service - Post Lockdown - Blended Working?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Vologda69

First six months in the office for new hires in our DSP office. But really down to your local manager, as some are more flexible than others. Also depends on your role - some are in the office 5 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mr lebowski

Does anyone know if the DOE are likely to ever get Flexi time back while also working from home. If we go in 5 days we can avail of Flexi at present. I think it would be fair to let us accrue Flexi on the days we are in the office. Are there even discussions ongoing regarding this would anyone know? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It really is unfair that different departments have polar opposite policies on this.

Does that mean that even in the office you cannot accrue flexi unless you work in the office 5 days a week?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

My understanding is that the DPER blended working framework that everyone else is supposed to have based their policies on basically calls for a trial period for the whole thing. My employer is reviewing its policy at the moment, for example, as it's been in operation for over six months (it's been a great success for us, and is unlikely to change, I think and hope!)

Employers had a choice re flexi - none at all if you opt for blended working; flexi but work up time only when in the office; flexi and work up time whether in-office or WFH. (Let's call these type 1, type 2 and type 3, respectively).

Obviously, the more people that take the piss with type 3 (always clocked in 8 to 6 when WFH but somehow phone is never answered when you call), the more it will be noticed, passed up the chain, etc. - but in my experience the number taking the piss is tiny.

I think overall it was probably fair to trial type 2 and 3 but the unions should have actually objected to the loss of previous entitlements (I know flexi isn't an entitlement, but still!) and blocked type 1.

Speaking of unions, anyone who has (or had) access to flexi should be getting on to their local Fórsa, AHCPS and SIPTU branches, now, asking when their branch AGM is, and putting in motions for conferences calling for the restoration of flexi accrual and leave for all staff who had it pre-COVID, whether working in the office fulltime, or on blended working, even where WFH. Not doing so will almost certainly result in some employers trying to erode flexi - especially those employers who decided to "trial" type 1 and 2.

Branch AGMs are almost always in Dec or Jan, maybe Feb, as delegate conferences / group conferences etc. tend to be in or around Easter.

Would not surprise me if some Depts are content to have this so-called "trial" last indefinitely. If it's actually a trial then it needs a fixed duration and set criteria to evaluate its success at the end of the trial period but I doubt there's any sign of that in the "type 1" depts. particularly...

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

Yes that's exactly what it means. So it's either full time in the office and Flexi or no Flexi time. As you said I am getting the impression it will never come back.

It won't come back unless there is pressure from your staff (Partnership committee?) and the unions. The unions will only act on motions that have been passed at their Annual Delegate Conference/AGMs. That requires motions to have been put forward for debate at the ADC by local branches; or it could potentially be an emergency motion brought up at conference (usually by the Executive Committee).

AHCPS and Fórsa ADCs are usually in May, with branch AGMs taking place in February to April, at least in my experience. (Admittedly, in my last employment, the "branch comittee" was essentially "Joe, the union guy", and two or three of his mates).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Curious to know if folks have had any engagement in terms of when their organisation's blended working pilot actually commenced, how long its due to run for, and what's being measured?

Our Blended Working Policy has been running for over six months, now, as a pilot. The pilot is being reviewed (for the last six weeks or so) and line managers have gotten surveys about how it's working for them/their staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Saulgudman

We were recently informed in the nsso that the pilot has ended and flexi accrual regardless of location is beginning in a matter of weeks.

great news and when combined with the 4 day WFH per week looks like a great end result.

I wonder will many other departments follow suit.

• Advertisement

Great to hear. I must drop a query to my own HR... their review has been ongoing for nearly as long as the pilot project itself, at this stage! 😁 (I'm anticipating a similar outcome to yours, but still... it'd be nice to have it official!)

Let's hope the D.O.E follow suit. No Flexi if you work from home is outrageous!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭64869923

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

Really hope so, gonna start taking 1 day parental leave in September and hopefully never see a 5 day again! The drop in wages is not that much, used that new nsso what if calculator

It's all part of their cunning plan to get as many people as possible to take voluntary pay cuts 😁

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭rsl1976

I've heard Revenue staff were surveyed about a 4 day week and also removing core hours

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Kirbi

@64869923 the NSSO blended working model already allows 4 days WFH a week (or 20% in the office over multiple weeks).

I think they may be mixing up 4 days WFH, 1 in office with the campaign for a 4-day working week with no reduction in pay - this is on trial again with some more Irish employers and I heard one government department was also looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭doc22

It think core hours are essential to make communication easier and for management of staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I agree - they benefit everyone by providing clarity around availability and facilitate scheduling meetings and events. Without core hours, how could you organise meetings or training days etc? I mean 10-12:30 and 2-4, are not that restrictive and help ensure normal business response times and real time collaboration, whilst still also allowing async flexibility for people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,155 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

While not disagreeing with the idea that core hours are necessary, it isn’t hard to schedule a meeting and expect people to make that. As with flexi (and indeed WFH), non-core hours would be at the discretion of management so if they require you to be in a building for a certain time, people will make sure they are.

Presumably non-core hours, if piloted, would absolutely still allow for 'everyone needs to be available for a meeting on X time on Y date'. It would also presumably allow for an extension of opening hours to the public so you're not screwed if you try to contact Revenue after, say, 5pm on a Friday; and would result in less crowded public transports/roads at rush hour if it became widespread? It wouldn't be for me, but I can see how it would work for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I don't know, I would hope so. But it could very easily spiral into, "I am not available at 11am for a meeting as I want to work 12-8 as it suits me better" in the same way that you can't schedule a meeting outside core hours now, even by request. When I schedule a meeting for 9, team members reply to say they don't start till 10. Removal of core hours would work if people flex back (give and take) but not everyone will and many will go with a "I can work whatever hours I like as there are no cor hours, and you need to work around my hours instead" mindset ruining it for everyone else.

WFH, with full flexi, a four day week, and non-core hours?

Do you want to give the micro-managers heart attacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Regardless of the outcome of this discussion, most people don't like or want 9am meetings. In my experience the majority of people avoid scheduling them for that time whenever possible.

I do think the current core hours are also fair enough - they give some structure while also giving flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Any decent manager will meet flexibility with the same in return. It's when staff aren't willing to be flexible but expect everything in return that there are problems.

Honestly, I think the core hours should remain, as they give some structure to the working day. When you look at them, they are not restrictive, its only four hours in total that you are expected to be working, a 2.5 hr slot in the morning, and 1.5 hr slot in the afternoon.

10:00am to 12:30pm and 2:30pm to 4:00pm.

So while I am yes to WFH and yes to Flexi while WFH and yes to a four day week, I have doubts about dropping core hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭shmeee

Along with proposal for working set non-core hours, for example 7am - 2.30pm (includes half hour lunch). Both have been sent for review.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Will be great if possible but not sure how it could work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Gusser09

100 percent. I see no benefit to anyone in getting rid of core hours or even changing them. Its not broken so dont try and fix it.

Advertisement