Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

I want to order a watch from a small UK retailer.

I guess the chances of the parcel never getting to me are very high in the current situation?

If so, is using Address Pal a workaround? I.e. extra costs but near guaranteed delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭deezell

It will cost you 20% extra plus Addresspal fees. Retailer can't remove UK vat, but you'll have to pay 23% Irish VAT on the entire transaction including initial delivery . Say you buy a watch for €240 equivalent in euro, of which 40 is UK VAT. Add €10 for UK delivery. Irish vat 23% on this total, add another €57.50. €6.50 addresspal, €3.50 customs fee, total, €317.50 for a watch that cost €200 before tax, and that's assuming it doesn't attract a customs or excise charge.

The final insult announced today, Parcel Motel closing down. Effing Tories and their Brexit really made a sh¡t of the European free market, compounded by ridiculous bureaucracy on simple personal post. For a few years we finally had choice, competition and freedom from cozy cartels and it was too good to be true.

Post edited by deezell on

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dammij

Totally agree with you and if you think it's bad here, your head would spin to see how it's affecting ordinary Brits over there!

I'd hoped the Tory downfall would be the end of it, but Labour's Keir Starmer is no better - he want's to continue his "softer" version of Brexit, despite it being a massive con job in the first place.

Anyway, sorry for the rant!

I just wanted to pass on this link:

It's a bit different to PM, but depending on what you're buying, they can be very good.

Small value items, maybe not, but I used them for a fairly pricey piece of electronic kit, small size and weight.

It cost me £5 for their receiving fee and they hand it to Fastway which costs another £12 to the South.

All you do is order your stuff to your name, care of this company (a bit like address pal) except that's it.

Mail them to say it's coming and they'll let you know when it arrives and then you pay them!

It's obviously more expensive but it's another option!

I used them again just before Christmas - I'm a Londoner living in Dublin now and fond of my munchies that

can't be got here, so I did a shop in Sainsbury's in Newry and these guys boxed it up and sent it down to me and

all very quick and smooth!

Hope this helps!!

• Advertisement

Sounds good for NI collect, but if you contract them to forward it south they will have to apply 23% vat and any duties before they hand it over, otherwise its smuggling! It why parcel motel closed, they could no longer forward goods, posted to their NI address, to the South without all the paperwork, tax and duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,093 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Looking like others will be following an post's lead.

Got this from DHL

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It isn't An Posts lead. It's a global initiative amongst post and parcel carriers that was due to come in around March this year. An Post decided to do it nearly 2 years before anyone else, hence the total confusion.

Jumping the gun more like, hoping to get the medal or a business award. I didn't know there was a category for 'Sh¡tting on your Customers'.

• Advertisement

It's not as if they plucked a random idea out of the sky.

Several services folded because of it.

I suppose some people would rather that.

You'd have even more complaining then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Hey all

I've had several packages all of a sudden be returned to senders. One seller in the UK even sent me a pic of returned package it has all the correct data EORI number, CN23 , all digital barcodes and forms filled and included. Still returned. I'

I got two packages from a website I've bought from multiple times last few months and now all of a sudden these two packages are being refused and returned. Is there something new going on or changes to customs or something?

I've heard from a few international sellers that they've never had as many issues with any other country in the world as they do with Ireland. We are apparently the worst country to send international packages to.

The thing that pisses me off the most is that there's no explanation or reason, customs just refuse a package and return it to sender. No way of knowing what was wrong or why it was returned!! Typical of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Its all automated, no humans eyes in An Post are looking at these packages. I've been trying to understand why they don't provide exact reasons on the returned package then I realised they don't want the hassle/cost of providing customer service, easier to just send it back and give a blanket explanation that something was wrong it. It'll be interesting to see if the likes of DPD will provide exact reasons when a package is returned to sender, I'd assume they will as they cannot afford to alienate customers the way An Post have

It sucks. A business critical commercial service operated by an agent who has no obligation whatsoever to be accountable for errors and failures in the system, and no liability for these failures to the paying clients it serves, the sender and receiver. The last and only organisation that had this coded into it's mission statement was the Church. " The Pope is infallible, that is, he cannot err." Who remembers being taught that gem? "The (an) Post is infallible, it must be your fault".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I had a choice between Royal Mail and Fedex last week and picked the latter. A €15 handling fee (An Post's is €3.50 if they deem it acceptable) but the package will arrive without hassle.

I have packages from 4 different US sellers all currently being returned. One being returned to UK and another one just returned to UK last week. I also have one from China stuck in customs for about two weeks now with no update. Thats in limbo! Is there nobody to take responsibility for this absolute mess and lack of communication or is this the future of Irish post/customs now?

Some of my tracking numbers say we couldn't deliver post one of them even actually says I refused the package!! That's an outright lie as I'm off work for the week and nobody attempted to deliver anything. This country is an absolute f**king joke.

Hopefully it arrives for you. At this point it's a 50/50 buying anything

I was looking for replacement generic gps car antenna, best price and delivery from a small operator on Amazon.uk, I just couldn't risk it. I looked at Amazon.de, good prices, all marked ' eligible for delivery to ROI' but when put in the basket they all said the same, 'Can't be delivered to this address etc..'. Probably resellers of Chinese goods, they've obviously decided to avoid Ireland. One actual shop would deliver, but huge markup plus an extra €12 for delivery for an item thats a tenner with free delivery in DE.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,126 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

free delivery on amazon.de? I've never seen that.

If you were in Germany I think. It was confusing anyway, I couldn't get the stuff into the basket to see what delivery charge to ROI would be. I think it's similar to how some suppliers on amazon.co.uk are actually in China, but have some kind of forwarding or bulk delivery into UK or Sweden or Holland. I notice now on a lot of these on co.uk that free delivery is only on goods over €22, it's consistent regardless of the supplier. The supplier who was selling them for €10 and reasonable delivery cost was on Ebay, not Amazon, my error, so I'd fully expect that packet to make its way back. Anyway, ten euro and €3.75 delivery from Germany is good, it's already dispatched from who knows where, but I'd expect it to be treated as inside the EU with no messing about.

• Advertisement

free delivery on orders over £22 is standard on amazon.co.uk.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Both. £22 or about €25

That's UK sorted, maybe, and too late, but what about the F* up of the rest of the world deliveries to here?

Go to McdDonalds for a coffee and a free read. You'll see all the old guys there reading. If you Google it it's probably in another paper in full.

Wait now, they're blaming the UK for the last 18 months of chaos. But then he says;

"While packages without the 10-digit code required from ‘third countries’ such as the UK were previously returned to sender, recipients will now have to pay customs fees when they accept delivery of items."

So WTF did they not do this from the start? This new system had nothing to do with Brexit, it would still have affected all non EU sources, its just that Brexit increased that number. But instead of holding and inspecting non EU inbound on which they (or a machine) misread correct data, and allowing the owner to retrieve with whatever vat, duty and admin fee was due, (as had been the case for eons), the just sent them back. So they've rolled back on this? Packets from Oz or the US which raise a flag will result in a consultation, not an unstoppable return? The sly F****rs, trying to disguise this turnaround as a UK failure.

• Advertisement

they haven't rolled back on anything. the post office in the UK have changed how they work so that parcels to Ireland now have the correct customs information on them.

Advertisement