Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

1555657585961»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭ NewbridgeIR

After buying five items from Ebay US and Ebay UK that were shipped via Ebay's Global Shipping Programme (and delivered without issue), I decided to risk a purchase of a long-time want that was being sent via Royal Mail International Tracked.

No joy - item has failed electronic customs clearance and is on its way back to the UK. Told to email [email protected] for the specific reason why. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,684 ✭✭✭✭ BorneTobyWilde

My Package was lost, that's the explanation by the sender. They did a refund though, and asked me to replace the order, which I did, and it arrived within a few days. No fees, it was all in the price according to the seller, the vat ect all collected on behalf. So no reason for first package to be held up, it just vanished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭ Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Saw a few people had success with ems shipping and said I'd give it a try with my Japan order. I hadn't used it since the first lot got returned in August last year

Post edited by Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 13,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭ whiterebel

Still at it. That is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭ Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Same shite again, back to using couriers for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭ tphase

did you ever get a response as to which specific part of the electronic declaration was incorrect, incomplete or insufficient?

I did - 12 days later

"Our records indicate that the item was processed to be returned to sender as the goods were valued at over €1000 on the electronic declaration that we received from the sender and so were required to be shipped under a H1 declaration. You will need to query the electronic data supplied by the sender/sending postal company."

The goods were declared as £100 on the package label so the only conclusion is that Royal Mail may had added a 0 when doing the electronic declaration part.

The package eventually found its way back to England. The seller re-sent it at the end of last week and amended the value slightly downwards. Fingers crossed. If it's rejected again, I'll just get a refund.

Update - delivered today with no VAT charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭ chasm

I've received a customs charge today, it has a tracking ID number which I think is jersey but the only item I'm waiting for isn't being dispatched from Jersey. Not sure whether to pay or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,653 ✭✭✭✭ ohnonotgmail

Are you sure it came from An Post? genuine an post messages have a tracking number that you can check on the An Post website. If the message contains a link that you have to click on then it is fake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭ chasm

I received a letter from an post. It is legit as it is the same as others I have received in the past. It has a tracking ID number UMxxxxxxxxxJE, apparently it doesn't have tracking if it begins with UM!

Edit: Just put in the details on An Post and it is the parcel I'm expecting! Customer service at some companies have not got a clue!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭ amdublin

I got the same bullsh1t return about the electronic stuff. It is complete rubbish imo

• Registered Users Posts: 18,850 ✭✭✭✭ glasso

Well now there will be less returns from An Post because sellers just can't justify the cost and hassle of trying to send to Ireland and just won't send there in the first place....

Irish consumers lose out as can't order items they want.

Disgrace of a situation.

www.buymeacoffee.com/glassopy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭ deezell

Just got this leaflet today.

Says on the back you can control your deliveries. I signed up to see. Theres a menu item on the AnPost.com site 'post and parcels' . Its already retrospectively showing my last two deliveries. Theres also menu items for Pause, Redelivery and Redirect. Could these herald a way to stall post that otherwise gets sent back? Who knows.

Mailminder only suspends delivery for a short period of time. It will have no effect if an post decide that a parcel needs to be returned due to an incomplete declaration.

How short? If they can retain it at all, no reason that they couldn't retain it while electronic label crap is sorted. Charge a fee for longer stays if they want. A gift horse ignored.

mailminder is only for parcels that are being delivered. If an post decide that the declaration is incomplete it will be sent back and therefore never delivered. There is little or no human intervention in the process. If the computer says no it goes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ Vaccinated antivaxer

Another missing package, that's the 4th since last August with only three making it through. All sent from the same company with the same taric code cn22/23 shite yet three could make it and four just disappeared into the AP void. They are a vile and disgusting company who have clearly made zero effort to sort out their barcode scanners.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ AnRothar

If you look at it from a slightly dispassionate perspective the fault belongs to the sending company.

Almost 60% of what they sent failed to get through.

You would think they might look at their postage process?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 13,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭ whiterebel

No it doesn't. The fault is with An Post for bringing in a system at least 2 years in advance of everyone else. All postal serves are supposed to be automated by March 2023, as far as I remember, but An Post jumped the gun. This followed on from the utterly stupid decision to drop the clearance from €10 to €3.50 as soon as Brexit hit, rather than waiting to see what the effects would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭ tphase

you'll be doing well to find a dispassionate perspective on this thread 😤

I think the fault does often lie with the sending company but of course the An Post line is the fault always lies with the sending company and they don't appear to be willing to look at their own systems

In this instance, lets assume that all of these packages are identical with exactly the same declaration. The An Post system is clearly faulty because it either allowed 40% of the packages through with incorrect declarations or it wrongly flagged 60% as being incorrectly declared.

I reckon David McRedmond is deliberately running AP into the ground to lay the conditions for privatisation. The fact our politicians are silent about AP is telling.

Bring it on. A private contract to deliver postal services would never be mandated to just dump packets in a return sack. They would implement a suitable system for holding, querying, and release for a fee IF the blame lay with your supplier. If you could show the labels/ electronic data were correct and the error was theirs, they'd just have to release it. The current system let's them hide their operational errors with no accountability.

You make very good points. AP are a joke at the moment but its their staff that will suffer and its not their fault McRedmond and his management team are decimating non EU origin deliveries. The grinning bastárd will swan off with a golden handshake and a large pension while thousands of customers and senders will never be compensated for his mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭ RichieRich_89

I ordered something from India a few months ago and it was returned to sender twice. I stupidly believed the reason An Post gave me!

If I want to order something from Japan it'll have to be a courier?

How are people faring with low value orders from Aliexpress? They seem to be set up for VAT and all that, so I risked a small order of €40.

no issue with any orders from aliexpress. they have their side of it sorted out properly. They don't ship directly to ireland, they go via holland or belgium. the customs stuff is sorted out there so it doesn't go through the an post customs process.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,568 ✭✭✭ youcancallmeal

Yeah this has been my experience of ordering stuff from China in the last few months. Some places that used to offer Ireland ePacket as a shipping option have removed it now. Most will strongly recommend or only offer PostNL as a shipping option so it lands in Netherlands/Belgium first. Ireland ePacket used to be great value and sometimes delivery as quick as 10 days. PostNL takes longer but it's stress free.

I'm not even angry about the whole thing anymore, just resigned to the fact An Post management clearly prioritise profits over customer service, it's crazy for a state owned body to be doing that but not dissimilar to the semi-state DAA really.

Advertisement