Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

That’s who I Immediately thought of when I saw her.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,705 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I liked it overall, blended in nicely with those houses around it.

What I'd like to see is someone come up with modern retrofit upgrade designs for the circa 50k council houses around the country built between 60's to 70's that could have off the shelf options to improve them without every one being a needless single one-off project.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭siblers

That's my point. The way it's normal for a house that size to cost 500k

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭ted1

500k is cheaper than many 3 beds in Dublin. Ours is going on the market soon and the estate agent is saying well 620-650k. It’s pretty standard but in a great location

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭KaneToad

If I was in that situation, my preference would be to do my days work rearing the kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,604 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Thats true.

Its actually closer to 600k , I think 327k initial cost plus 260k refurb, so 587k total.

House prices in Dublin are crackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Just looking at the builders taking the hammer to the kitchen and doors...... remember yer man in Tipp who sold everything, including the columns outside? He's probably having a conniption right now. 😂

The mirror in the kitchen is a nice architectural feature but has no practicality, once there's grease and splashed on it you'll just be cleaning it. Also the sockets in it break it up a lot, I'd have put them on the counter top, possibly hidden. Apart from that I like the colours in it a lot, but opening and closing all the presses would do my head in. I like a bit of open storage in a kitchen.

Love the red window frame, and especially the rounded wall thing in the main area. Didn't notice a porch, so there could be a lot of 'shut the fuppin' front door' shouting going on.

Overall a very nice house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I think they were avoiding a mortgage. Sold a house somewhere they said and had money left over from the sale, then some savings and a CU loan. Seemed to be as sensible as possible under the circumstances.

Yes, I know they were renting, I guess the house they sold is elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

i didnt like the colours. I did like the non red windows at the front. in fact the whole front looked good to me.

i did not like the internal curved wall and the polished floor. i thought it looked a little too open & cold for my liking

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I would say 90% of the attraction is the QS Claire Irwin she is an expert on keeping the costs contained and an expert on how to tweak the project to suit the SSEI grants a good QS on projects with fancy architects is worth their weight in gold plus its save all sort of issue with the builder as they know the QS knows what they are talking about.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Niall_76

I was more surprised they went to Dermot.. if I was tight on cash I’d never go near him!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭enricoh

Think I heard them say they were getting help from family for some funds. I personally think it's nuts still getting a handout from the folks at their age!

Watching the builders lifting the floors I couldn't help think could the hubby not have done this and save paying top dollar to a builder to do stuff like that.

Nice house in the end, a lifetime job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

What's wrong with the folks giving them money now, if they have it to give?

Would you rather they waiting until the folks died, and get it then instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

He's a stay at home father, when do you think he'd have got time to take up floors and do labouring to save a few bob

His missus was off for a good stretch when covid hit, ideal to get stuck into- 2 minutes away from the rental house.

I'd prefer to look after my elderly folks financially than them looking after me. I wouldn't ask my mother for cash or ask my missus to ask hers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Why did the grant reduce? Don't think it was explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Everyone's situation is different, and there's plenty of parents that can afford to help their children. It doesn't matter what age they are.

I help my own father out financially. My partner's parents are lucky enough to not need that kind of help. And I know that if my own child needs help to pay for their home in the future, I'll have no issues helping them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,345 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This is Sunday 22th episode.

Architect Dermot Bannon has his work cut out for him helping Carmel and Hugh O'Neill from Blessington in West Wicklow downsize for their retirement years to a new build

Am I correct in saying that this couple gave their daughter and her family the family home and Dermot redesigned it and then they started building a small house on site for themselves.

I hope that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yeah that wasn't clear at all. Did the government reduce the grant or did some aspect of the build not come up to spec to meet the requirements.

Another thing that was baffling was Dermot's obsession early on in the design with bringing light from front to back. The couple never really talked about it. Seems like they'll end up with a lack of privacy as anyone passing by can see right through the house to them sitting down at their dinner. Then they'll need to put up blinds in the sitting room and kitchen defeating the purpose. Just doesn't seem practical.

Overall though a nice house at the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Nermal

As said above, closer to €600K, and while there are plenty of places in Dublin where that will get laughed at, Sarsfield Park in Lucan isn't one of them. They'd struggle to make it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,467 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Nice couple, house ended up nice. I personally hate the polished concrete floors (if thats what they were) - I don't see them as being inviting and Id guess are a pain to keep clean.

Yeah, I agree with you there. A lot of the demolition could have been done by the couple during covid, I thought myself - that said you'd wonder how much difference in price it would have made.

The programme goes to show again that the price of doing work like this here is just crazy in fairness although the couple ended up with a nice modern house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Oh I remember that build ....that was a really good one.

I hope it's the continuation as I really wanted to see how the whole project finished up.

They were lovely people!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I know alot of parents who love being able to help out their kids and "spend the inheritance" while they can see them enjoying it.

It really depends on circumstances.

Some people worked in decent jobs with good defined benefit pensions and are ok financially.

Obviously others aren't in the position to help.

I wouldn't begrudge people that can help/get help from family, regardless of age. (Unless they are the type that flitter through money taking no responsibility for their actions, but that's a different story)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭Deeec

In fairness I think they said family loans which implies the money needs to be paid back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

in fairness i think he could have done some of this. But thats assuming hes physically able to do it, and not have other commitments. Maybe they decided that for the extra cost it was worthwhile the builder do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,874 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I think the considered moving the sun around to the north side but it wasn't financially viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I do find concerns over 'a lack of privacy' to be kinda funny, its not like folk are camped out on the path looking in windows across the country.

Similarly, what exactly are they going to see that needs hiding?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

This 100%!! Majority of people dont care what your doing in house, and I much prefer to have openness, light and be able to see out front of house than be covered in by walls, blinds or curtains trying to 'maintain privacy'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

No idea the fascination the couple had with the house. It's fine like but how in any way is the house or location unique? Even when Dermot mentioned the views, I couldn't see anything and a green in the middle of an estate is hardly a view really.

He didn't mention the orientation but obviously considered when he mentioned light etc.. Loved the curved wall and internal design. Dermot was right about the sliding doors, should just have one I thought. Red window looked nice as the row of houses were very dull and bland looking.

Wouldn't go with a mirror splashback myself but not the worst. The polished concrete will work well with the underfloor heating.

Advertisement