Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Woman fined for grabbing a mans privates

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I see she's appealing the sentence too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That is the way the judicial system works though. Regardless of the gender issue. If someone has 'standing' compared to someone form a lower socio-demographic committed the same crime - it is likely they would receive different sentences.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,999 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Educated and sophisticated...my arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,431 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's in cases like this that CCTV saves the day. Were the VHS tapes getting changed at the time? No mention of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I wouldn't overly agree on that. It seems to depend on the judge. We have plenty of gougers going around with multiple convictions not getting jail time.

It's the possible grabbing of the male reproductive area which is striking.

There is a certain lenient Judge who is infamous for his mystifying sentences would have given her a blue peter badge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Nobody? Kay I'll say it.

Reverse the genders and see if being educated is still a valid excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

There is that as well. But she is from Dundrum, didn't mention prior convictions etc. She likely spoke well in court and presented herself well. Joe Brolly often says court is a performance.

If she was from Darndale I doubt whether the result would be the same, and the judge would have been more dismissive. I could be wrong though. But judges are human and they have their own biases.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Cordell

I don't think that there is any element of sexual assault, she just went for the soft and sensitive parts, but that's still an assault and any assault on a garda should mean jail time. But if you're "sophisticated" you get a slap on the wrist, same if you're the exact opposite i.e. rough "working" class. If you're just boring and average then probably you're fked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,204 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

This isn’t an example of any double standard. Plenty of cases of men being fined for assault on Gardaí, which is what the woman in this case was charged with (and a few more offences besides) -

Finding her guilty, Judge John Brennan said Morrissey was a woman of education and sophistication but she was "effectively out of control" on the night.

The judge fined Morrissey €1,600 and disqualified her from driving for four years.

The accused, of Lynwood in Dundrum, was found guilty of failing to provide a specimen to gardai and three counts of assaulting gardai at Finglas Garda Station on December 28, 2020.

Judges rationale is that she was effectively out of control. Based upon the details in the article it’d be difficult to disagree with that assessment.

• Advertisement

Seriously though? If it were a man and he grabbed a woman by the Vagina it would be called sexual assault. Simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Surely this is a gender based hate crime????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

we have all seen scrotes from the worst part of dublin get away serious assaults after their solicitor gives a sob story about their terrible childhood and how they are working to resolve their personal issues. usually with 50 or more previous convictions.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Suffered this a lot as a glass collector in my teens from older women however it is a bit different when the genders are reversed. The women were generally 50+ and doing it in a gang trying to one up each other, I was never in any physical danger. Im not saying its in anyway acceptable and this particular case is different but reversing the genders the victim isnt stronger than the aggressor and typically its done in a one on one situation. With a lot of these things women are as likely to be the aggressor as men but we never hear about it as the victim isn't as traumatised or in as much danger, again not saying the behavior is acceptable.

I can see that point of view for sure. But being drunk and out of control isn't an excuse for grabbing someone by there Vagina or testicles / penis. We have seen men recently jailed for that and rightly so.

If being out of control and drunk are a mitigating factor then men should get the same leeway. That's the rationale and logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

Comes from a good family, he's a promising up and coming hurler having won a club all ireland and has made the county panel next year. All his family are well known and respected in the GAA sphere. If you can get a priest to come up to the front of the court room and shake your hand you have a bonus.

Probation Act and be on your way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Cordell

I can't be sure of what she meant but I think she was just having a violent meltdown and there was nothing sexual there. I'm not defending her, she should be in jail for that all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,226 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'd have had nearly enough from me bus home that time I went out to your gaff and your oul' wan and sister opened the door together 😋

• Advertisement

Equality though has the be equal. I fully understand what you are saying but if a 60yo man grabs the teenage lounge girl by the Vagina his mates would most likely punch the head off him and he'd rightly go to prison. But a 60yo woman wouldn't get the same sentence or treatment.

Women are often described as being mentally stronger than men. If that's the case then should they not be able to handle that situation better than us? I'm not condoning it by the way. Any man or woman who carries on like that should be dealt with appropriately regardless of their education or social standing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,580 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Is kicking someone in the bollix sexual assault?

I know she grabbed him, but It was to inflict pain not "pleasure" and wasn't done I am guessing for sexual gratification.

Sounds to me the guards didn't behave 100% professionally in this either and Judge took that into account.

For sexual assault though? Now I know we can go on the internet and pull down a hundred articles where they have done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭GavPJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

If it were a man who done that to a ban garda though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,226 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Well the bar has moved there, all she had to be was sophisticated and educated.

The lads have to win an all Ireland to be allowed grope people? Bit unfair. But dully noted. Sadly the law will still apply to me, fts

Well she kicked a female guard into the chest, would you consider that sexual assault?

• Advertisement

There aren’t any details of any mitigating factors presented by the defence detailed in that article. Seems the best the defence could offer was this -

In his submissions, defence lawyer Glenn Lynch BL said it was "flippant" to say there was a garda conspiracy but there were "massive contradictions in the garda evidence" and there was a danger that gardai were simply trying to support a colleague.

By the by, I haven’t seen any cases where a man was charged with assault on Gardaí, which is what this woman was charged with, and he was jailed or placed on the sex offenders register. At least compare like with like if you’re going to claim this case is an example of a double standard, when the only thing supporting your claim is an entirely different set of hypothetical circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Its not about the gender really though but those with strength vs those without. If you're going to drive about in a car at 100km an hour you have an obligation to show a greater degree of care than a cyclist or pedestrian. Might not be the law but just the way I see things.

I dunno ‘bout sexual assault, but it made me think of Eric Cantona! 😳

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

If that was a man? No offence to theee lady but in this day and age I keep doing double takes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Pretty naive of the Defence brief. If a Garda is assaulted or worse, the book is absolutely thrown at the defendant, because its a behaviour that must be discouraged to keep the peace.

Assault a Garda, 5 years. Actual bodily harm a Garda, 10 to 12 years. Kill a Garda, 40 years with Ministerial discretion for no release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

How sophisticated could she be though? She smokes!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,507 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Rambo Woman.

Does anyone know what this educated, sophisticated middle aged smoker does for a living except bate the sh1te out of Gardai?

Which on that note, are currently complaining that the fitness test in Garda training college is too tough..... think again chaps and chapesses .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Gardai can mysteriously not have an area covered by CCTV.

I would say there was an element of truth to what she says as far too many gardai abuse the power they have

5 or 6 gardai in close proximity is a well known tactic in some stations to make you uneasy. I know of several incidents in Kildare of that tactic and it only stopped when one person took high court proceedings which were settled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,584 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,507 ✭✭✭✭Esel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,584 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

M

Yes Finglas station was opened in 2009, it must have close to the best possible CCTV in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Unless I missed something the article just states the fine, but does not provide detail what constituted for it. She sounds insufferable and like she behaved well outside of acceptable bounds. No detail on whether this was a first time offence for Brienne of Tarth or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,657 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Plenty men have gotten lenient sentences.

simple: men assaulting women and women assaulting men are not the same thing. Yes, assault is assault. I get that.

I really doubt there was any ounce of a sexual element in this piss head’s mind when she did what she did.

anyway, to the act and sentencing: gardai who are assaulted and abused like this need our justice system to act very firmly to send a very strong message to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

A couple of quid for the poor box too never hurts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Don't think the article mentioned any CCTV from within the Garda Station, or am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The fine sounds like it's specifically for the refusal to provide a specimen, minimum 4 years (first offence) and a fine of up to €5000, the judge picked a random €1600. Doesn't look like the assault received anything, was probably just taken into consideration. Should have been a separate charge, but I know from experience it's actually very hard to get a judge to convict criminals of assaulting Gardai, unless it's serious. I was assaulted 5 times, proper assaulted, not a single charge due to Judges taking it into consideration (along with the many other charges and only convicted of say, burglary, or whatever the main offence that brought dikhed to our attention), or terrible management (sergeant) not doing his job and letting the charge go statute barred.

It's nearly expected, as a member. You're going to get assaulted, and very little will be done about it. It's one thing getting it to court, but the judges don't go harsh on people who assault Gardai. I really don't know why. I know 1 Judge who did, but only because he was the victim of an assault by someone he let off for assaulting a Garda (taken into consideration and let out on bail after pleading guilty to theft... again).

Maybe someone will give me some evidence that she was in fact charged with assaulting a Garda (section 19 Criminal Justice Public Order Act should be used, it won't). But I seriously doubt it. Soft sentence she got. I've no doubt she'll certainly stay off the road...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Dear Incels, please read the article. This is not sexual groping, she was acting in self defense?

Being not drunk at Christmas in a cold drunk tank in Finglas being assaulted by five Gards is well worthy of an appeal? I wish her good luck.

That looks like a case of pure Garda abuse. It has nothing to do with sexual misfeance, I am sorry op, try harder.

but I know from experience it's actually very hard to get a judge to convict criminals of assaulting Gardai, unless it's serious

She was convicted of 3 counts of assault of Gardaí

The accused, of Lynwood in Dundrum, was found guilty of failing to provide a specimen to gardai and three counts of assaulting gardai at Finglas Garda Station on December 28, 2020

But like you suggest it is quite clear the Judge didn't take them into account when sentencing.

Something definitely off with this case.

After she battering 2 male guards a female guard took her to the cells alone where this 50+ year plus woman preformed Kung Foo? 😏

A woman garda said she brought Morrissey to a cell, where the accused called her a “bimbo b*tch" and kicked her "full force in the chest".

That doesn't pass the smell test. I think maybe the Judge concurred.

Bizarre that in 2020 there was no CCTV in that station. 🤷‍♀️

• Advertisement
Advertisement