Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Woman fined for grabbing a mans privates

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Its not about the gender really though but those with strength vs those without. If you're going to drive about in a car at 100km an hour you have an obligation to show a greater degree of care than a cyclist or pedestrian. Might not be the law but just the way I see things.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I dunno ‘bout sexual assault, but it made me think of Eric Cantona! 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

If that was a man? No offence to theee lady but in this day and age I keep doing double takes

• Registered Users Posts: 23,780 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Pretty naive of the Defence brief. If a Garda is assaulted or worse, the book is absolutely thrown at the defendant, because its a behaviour that must be discouraged to keep the peace.

Assault a Garda, 5 years. Actual bodily harm a Garda, 10 to 12 years. Kill a Garda, 40 years with Ministerial discretion for no release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

How sophisticated could she be though? She smokes!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,984 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Rambo Woman.

Does anyone know what this educated, sophisticated middle aged smoker does for a living except bate the sh1te out of Gardai?

Which on that note, are currently complaining that the fitness test in Garda training college is too tough..... think again chaps and chapesses .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Gardai can mysteriously not have an area covered by CCTV.

I would say there was an element of truth to what she says as far too many gardai abuse the power they have

5 or 6 gardai in close proximity is a well known tactic in some stations to make you uneasy. I know of several incidents in Kildare of that tactic and it only stopped when one person took high court proceedings which were settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes Finglas station was opened in 2009, it must have close to the best possible CCTV in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Unless I missed something the article just states the fine, but does not provide detail what constituted for it. She sounds insufferable and like she behaved well outside of acceptable bounds. No detail on whether this was a first time offence for Brienne of Tarth or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,553 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Plenty men have gotten lenient sentences.

simple: men assaulting women and women assaulting men are not the same thing. Yes, assault is assault. I get that.

I really doubt there was any ounce of a sexual element in this piss head’s mind when she did what she did.

anyway, to the act and sentencing: gardai who are assaulted and abused like this need our justice system to act very firmly to send a very strong message to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

A couple of quid for the poor box too never hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Don't think the article mentioned any CCTV from within the Garda Station, or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The fine sounds like it's specifically for the refusal to provide a specimen, minimum 4 years (first offence) and a fine of up to €5000, the judge picked a random €1600. Doesn't look like the assault received anything, was probably just taken into consideration. Should have been a separate charge, but I know from experience it's actually very hard to get a judge to convict criminals of assaulting Gardai, unless it's serious. I was assaulted 5 times, proper assaulted, not a single charge due to Judges taking it into consideration (along with the many other charges and only convicted of say, burglary, or whatever the main offence that brought dikhed to our attention), or terrible management (sergeant) not doing his job and letting the charge go statute barred.

It's nearly expected, as a member. You're going to get assaulted, and very little will be done about it. It's one thing getting it to court, but the judges don't go harsh on people who assault Gardai. I really don't know why. I know 1 Judge who did, but only because he was the victim of an assault by someone he let off for assaulting a Garda (taken into consideration and let out on bail after pleading guilty to theft... again).

Maybe someone will give me some evidence that she was in fact charged with assaulting a Garda (section 19 Criminal Justice Public Order Act should be used, it won't). But I seriously doubt it. Soft sentence she got. I've no doubt she'll certainly stay off the road...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Dear Incels, please read the article. This is not sexual groping, she was acting in self defense?

Being not drunk at Christmas in a cold drunk tank in Finglas being assaulted by five Gards is well worthy of an appeal? I wish her good luck.

That looks like a case of pure Garda abuse. It has nothing to do with sexual misfeance, I am sorry op, try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,496 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

but I know from experience it's actually very hard to get a judge to convict criminals of assaulting Gardai, unless it's serious

She was convicted of 3 counts of assault of Gardaí

The accused, of Lynwood in Dundrum, was found guilty of failing to provide a specimen to gardai and three counts of assaulting gardai at Finglas Garda Station on December 28, 2020

But like you suggest it is quite clear the Judge didn't take them into account when sentencing.

Something definitely off with this case.

After she battering 2 male guards a female guard took her to the cells alone where this 50+ year plus woman preformed Kung Foo? 😏

A woman garda said she brought Morrissey to a cell, where the accused called her a “bimbo b*tch" and kicked her "full force in the chest".

That doesn't pass the smell test. I think maybe the Judge concurred.

Bizarre that in 2020 there was no CCTV in that station. 🤷‍♀️

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Strange one for me but as always very difficult to get a sense of what really took place in court (never mind during the actual incident) from news reports if you can call them that.

No real indication why the judge completely dismissed the accused's evidence that she was assaulted, which he would have needed to do in order to convict her because her evidence to me seems to raise a quite reasonable doubt around her guilt. She didn't present an entirely unreasonable or fantasy version of events. She was clearly being belligerent and haughty even on her own evidence, which most people would probably say you shouldn't do while dealing with AGS just in case you have an accident coming down a flight of stairs or some other unfortunate ill befalls you.

On the other hand, if the judge took the AGS evidence fully at face value, you'd certainly expect a more significant penalty than a €1,600 fine and driving ban.

Definitely strange that there wouldn't be security cameras all over a Garda Station in 2023, particularly in the rooms where they interview/detain people as you'd imagine any sort of risk assessment would highlight those places as high probability for incidents.

I stand corrected, thank you. Seems even more lenient in that case!

Most stations probably still don't have full CCTV coverage, only the cell areas and maybe the custody suite (if they have one). They weren't in most places when I left in 2016, I think it was due to the GDPR issues surrounding recording people at work, as most stations don't have a separate custody area and have to walk through "civilian" areas to get to the custody suite/cells. Only the more modern stations might have something better. Most stations outside of the mains ones are ancient buildings designed when CCTV wasn't a thing.

And her recounting of the events, to me, sounds like the typical things someone will say to try and get off of something. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I find it highly unlikely. There's no evidence of injuries she received, which would be substantial if we are to believe her. People have no idea what someone is capable of in these situations, and even the most timid mouse can turn into a lion. Having 5 members around a violent prisoner isn't unusual, in fact it should be standard. Just like handcuffing someone should be standard practice, might have prevented this whole situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Sadly there will never be equality between a man and a woman. The left still believes in it, but in practical matters it will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

Exactly. Because in some respects, men and women are not equal. They are biologically different. One has a far greater tendency towards violence than the other. And in a violent situation, one has far greater potential for doing damage to the other. reproductive health and obligations wise, they are worlds apart in personal impact and risk. When it comes to problem sexual behaviours, it is overwhelmingly committed by males, and women and children and the victims to an overwhelming degree.

In some areas the are or absolutely should be equal. But in other areas, they are not and simply are not capable of being equal because they are simply different .

• Registered Users Posts: 39,496 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Most stations probably still don't have full CCTV coverage, only the cell areas and maybe the custody suite (if they have one). They weren't in most places when I left in 2016, I think it was due to the GDPR issues surrounding recording people at work

I doubt it, GDRP came around mid 2018. Also for that to be true the rights of 100s 1000s of workers up and down the country are been violated today.

Most stations outside of the mains ones are ancient buildings designed when CCTV wasn't a thing

CCTV is one of the easiest retro fits you can do.

This station has it in the public office area.

There's no evidence of injuries she received, which would be substantial if we are to believe her

Why would her injuries be substantial?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,334 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Sounds like she was acting like a wild animal.

Driving under the influence then assaults a number of Gardai, I'd be shocked if alcohol was the only thing in her system.

She'll end up winning her appeal because our justice system is a farce. She sounds like an odious individual.

Glazers Out!

@Boggles Ok, Data Protection or whatever was in place before GDPR. This isn't your average company, it's a lot stricter (as it should be) in AGS. Not perfect though, nothing is perfect. And while it is easy to retrofit CCTV, taking DP/GDPR into account creates issues with the layout and use of older buildings. Not everywhere can be covered for DP/GDPR reasons, and this creates the issue. Not everywhere, as I said.

Re: Injuries, thrown against a wall, kicked and hit by up to 5 Gardai. There'd be at the very least bruising. But no mention of medical evidence so we can't say if it did or didn't happen from a medical standpoint. Just her word vs 5 Gardai. And their account seems far more believable to me, having being in such situations.

As nullzero said, she'll probably win anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

And Gardai have well established that they can be a trusted source, have they?

I'd trust them more than some drunk angry self entitled woman who thinks she should get away with drink driving. Ever had to arrest and process a drink driver?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

They have, and on this occasion the Judge found the Gardaí involved were trustworthy too in spite of the defence’s similar implications of improper conduct on the part of the Gardaí involved -

In his submissions, defence lawyer Glenn Lynch BL said it was "flippant" to say there was a garda conspiracy but there were "massive contradictions in the garda evidence" and there was a danger that gardai were simply trying to support a colleague.

I also found it credible that the Gardaí involved appeared to have underestimated who they were dealing with and, let their guard down, so to speak, particularly this Garda who didn’t see it coming -

A garda witness alleged Morrissey tried to push past him to leave the station, and swung her hand back, and he ducked as he thought she was going to hit him.

He turned Morrissey towards the wall, holding her arm, and with her other hand she twisted and pulled his testicles and penis, he said.

He cried out in pain and his colleagues helped bring Morrissey to the ground and forced her to release her grip.

Advertisement