Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paschal Donohoe expenses controversy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

Indeed I noticed that alright. This is usually the last attempt at killing a scandal before the inevitable resignation if it doesn't work. I wonder do the indo have something else in the back pocket for tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Lads, yez need to get a grip. It's hardly the fraud of the century. Calling it a scandal etc. Making a mountain out of a molehill is what it is. He forgot or didn't think he needed to register that a buddy of his lent him a van and workers to the value of about €1k to stick up election posters and yez think it's a resigning matter?

He's also President of the Eurogroup. We need people batting for Ireland in these roles. Talk about shooting ourselves in the foot if he is booted out. I'm all for getting rid of corrupt politicians but this isn't one of those cases. The way people are going on, you'd think he was trying to hide billions.

What he did was trivial and easily explained as a minor error. Get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Wow, the mood of this thread has turned.

FG are in a real bind. If Donohoe were less senior they would undoubtedly be considering jettisoning him for the good of the government. But as he is one of the most senior members of the party, the most capable minister, universally liked, and, crucially, has done absolutely nothing to warrant this controversy, whatever the hysterics here might say, giving into the mob would cause as much damage as it would avert.

There are certain indicators of the health of a democracy. The acceptance of election results, corruption indices, the level of access given to the press, etc. An indicator of ill-health in a democracy is the number of nonsense scandals that a government must defend against, weaponised by a shameless opposition, generating undue mistrust and indignation among the electorate. Sinn Fein, not yet in government, is already corrupting the political culture of this country.

‘FG likes to think that it has the best PR people…’

No, Sinn Fein likes to pretend that, to distract from its own dominance in the spin war.

Shinners going for the throat now Mary Lou directly accusing Donahoe of deliberately failing to update his disclosures because he knew the donation from Stone was worth more than the limit.

Post edited by TipsyMcStagge on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,823 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yes yes, you are completely blinkered towards blatant cronyism. Old school, fair play. No harm in it. Point taken.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,650 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The SIPO regulations on recording election spend aren't new. Every candidate gets clear information from SIPO before elections detailing what must be declared. Paschal and his team have been making these declarations since 2004.

Saying "He forgot or didn't think he needed to register that a buddy of his lent him a van and workers to the value of about €1k to stick up election posters" just doesn't cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭Xander10

So the journalist Roman Shortall, who broke the planning issue story about Damian English, has been ordered to vacate his home due to €50,000 in unpaid rent.

High moral ground etc........

• Registered Users Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

LOL

Sure paying rent is for the plebs....

That guy must have a thick neck. How does one have 50,000 euro worth of arrears? He would be up in arms if an employer did an employee out of their wages, but he thinks its ok not to pay his way? Maybe he has a drug habit or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Be fine if it were in isolation. However I’ve reached the limit with these frauds now.

I don’t care about the election posters- everyone of them has cronies that help them. It’s the appointment of this same pal to a state board that bothers me the most

Maybe Robert Troy could rent him one of his 11 gaffs?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭road_high

• Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I agree, not really to bothered about the fellas hanging up the election posters, I always thought they were paid or were family. It is the appointment to the boards that is the real issue here and it will be this and not the hanging of posters that will cause the most grief for the minister. The FG acolytes amongst will try to trivialize it and make it about the fellas climbing lampposts but it will become more about the appointments.

This is such a disingenuous argument - ‘FG acolytes will make it about the fellas climbing lampposts’. ‘FG acolytes’ - i.e. people immune to conspiracy theories - have been saying from the start that it’s a non-story and will stick to that. The people who will change position are those anti-establishment populists who jumped on the postering story but have now found a toy they prefer and have chucked the old one, pretending they never liked it. And the reason they prefer this new toy is that purported cronyism is the gift that keeps giving. The only ‘proof’ they need is some sort of personal connection between politician and appointee and they have an example of corruption that is but the tip of the iceberg. And to them it’s irrefutable: no amount of expertise, distance in the appointment process and mitigating factors like waiving payment will convince them it’s not jobs-for-the-boys cronyism

You, yourself, have exposed your ignorance in this thread by saying it was Donohoe who appointed the donor, despite that the OP explicitly says that it was the housing minister (who did it three years later). But, of course, you can concede that mistake without changing your opinion. Facts don’t matter in the face of prejudice.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,284 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Which one with Zappone...I can think of a few...her being handed a role with zero advertisement of it...or her really dodgy mileage claims while in office (she took a more indirect to claim tonnes of extra money)...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭howiya

How did the minister manage to get into mortgage arrears?

Seem to have a hit a bit of nerve, immune to conspiracy, What are you talking about? There is no conspiracy, Donohue didn't follow the proper procedure for the donation during the election and then furthermore to compound that he appointed this person to boards. That is not a conspiracy that is what he has done. There is nothing disengenuous about my post at all, and it is true that the FG acolytes will try spin it and we have seen it on here that this is nothing and maybe it would be nothing if it was just a mistake about handling the donation, even though you would expect a senior politician and then the current finance minister to be able to handle the donation correctly but then it comes out that Donohue appointed this guy to a number of boards as well. There is no conspiracy, the only thing on display here is FG arrogance that they are above rules and not answerable to anyone.

Its FG you can't be asking questions like that, they are above that. You could also ask how a senior politician who was minister of finance couldn't handle a donation properly as well? Doubt you will get the answers except to be told something about conspiracy theories or a nothing burger or some such nonsense.

Roman and Damien English appear to have the same attitude when it comes to paying their way considering Damien English had 2 mortgages in such massive arrears that they were both sold to a vulture fund. Sure why would Roman bother paying his rent when ministers on 100k plus don't bother paying their mortgages?

Yes, you have hit a nerve! I deplore your brand of anti-establishment populism. Why would I ever try to conceal that?

You seem genuinely to believe that there can be no other explanation besides corruption if the well-qualified friend of a politician is appointed to a public body.

Twice in your comment you repeated the mistruth that is specifically refuted in the OP and in the comment of mine that you quote. Donohoe did not appoint the donor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭howiya

True. They seem to be trying to shut down any discussion of it. "He was wrong. He resigned. Lets move on" seems to be the attitude.

I think we need further details of how a person in mortgage arrears was given special responsibility for policy in the area as part of his junior minister role.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Mary Lou explained away her house purchase and renovation by saying she had a mortgage. However according to the figures presented by Shane Ross, she couldn't afford a mortgage of this size on her and her husband's salary. If she got it for the full amount something illegal went on.Yet she seems to be getting away without giving a full explanation

• Registered Users Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Well, I understand your point but Damien English was not a Minister when he went into arrears with his mortgage.

Sorry you're right he was just a lowly TD on 92k a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,531 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The point is that we don't know how DE got into arrears.

He got into arrears by not paying his mortgage same as anyone else who gets into arrears its pretty simple.

Mr Stone was directly appointed to the LDA by then Housing Minister Eoghan Murphy who is a former Fine Gael colleague of Paschal Donohoe. Other members of the LDA board are appointed through the Public Appointment Services system.

For the other appointment in his own constituency (Chair of the NEIC Programme Implementation Board), Paschal gave a list of 'suitable' candidates to the Taoiseach, Enda Kenny (FG).

What in the heck are you talking about anti-establishment? What is anti-establishment about holding politicians accountable? Do you think that they should be allowed do as they wish with no questions asked or is that only certain parties/politicians can do that but the others are all answerable? Explain what is anti-establishment about what I have said? Did Donohue make a mistake in the way he handled the donation for the election? Yes or No, Did Donohue appointment the person who made the donation to numerous boards? Yes or No.

Where I may differ from you is that I expect the highest standards from those who hold political office be they in the government or in the opposition, I don't really care what colour or politics they are, I don't care what office they hold or don't hold, what should be first and foremost is that they have high standards and that is not what we have seen with this current version of FG from leaking confidential documents to mates, to Zappone, to English and his planning application and now Donohue, who most people would expect more of, it is never ending.

See and is this sort of behaviour that causes the problems that Donohue is facing now. Why wasn't Mr Stone appointed through the Public Appointments Service System? In fact why do politicians keep getting themselves into messes like this when they can just send their nomination to a body like the Public Appointments Service System and then if that person is appointed no questions can be asked. This is similar to the appointment of Woulfe by McEntee another appointment by a nod and a wink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,361 ✭✭✭jmcc

Guess that FG's reputation is in the toilet at this stage. It funny seeing the pathetic attempts by FG meatbots on Twitter defending the indefensible. Wonder if Donhoe's story will change again by the time he gives his statement in the Dail.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement