Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paschal Donohoe expenses controversy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

If he’s that “straight” why didn’t he declare his buddy (whom he appointed to a state board) gave him a hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Seriously? - He went to a wedding of a friend.

Its the indo dredging depths that even the daily mail would be embarrassed about.

I'd say they were very disappointed when they found Michael Stone did not take one cent of fees nor one cent of expenses in either his role in the north inner city or his role in the LDA - both of which he is eminently qualified for.

"effective value" €10,000.

In 2016 I was able to get a garage built for less.

Deegan is an utter fool and most in the media know that and its why his anger stories rarely get published.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'd say there's lads up and down the country deleting what'sapp pictures of them using their company vans to help put up posters during the last few elections.

Do you know what are handy for carrying ladders and 100s of 3x2 signs, vans. And who has vans, buisness people. What a ridiculous story for the Indo to go after.

Well if it’s all so innocent no one will have a problem with it being scrutinised and publicised then. I’ve zero problem with the posters etc- it’s the resultant public appointments and cronyism that I loathe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭prunudo

Ireland is a small country, there are only so many people with the right skills who are willing to go on various boards. If a person was appointed to board who didn't have experience in that given field then yeah, I'd say its suspect, but in this situation I think its a nothing story. But honestly think there are far greater things to hate on the government or ministers at present.

and add that he has extensive experience and doesn't take a cent and also would not benefit from any work in either appointment.

Naturally the anti FG and the sf types will be bleating on about this - until loads of stories about sf getting "free assistance" start appearing.

Funny that sf don't want to answer questions about their Irish social media accounts - managed and paid for out of the country. hmmmm...

It would probably be prudent to review what proposals he put forward and what way he voted while on these boards. Hopefully he acted in the interests of boards he sat on and didn't use his political connections for personal gain. If all is above board it can be put down to a simple error and I'd be happy to move on, I do think the oversight of political donations needs an overhaul to keep politicians honest in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,280 ✭✭✭jmcc

Which revision of the Donohoe excuses is FG on now? The story changes so often that it is difficult to keep up with it. Surprised to see the Sindo/Indo covering this. Would never have happened when Dinny O'Brien was the largest shareholder in IN&M.

Regards...jmcc

Depending on how much the peasants know the story and excuses “evolves” accordingly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The FG TDs keep trying to kick the ball to SIPO in order to quiten the story. They know full well that SIPO is toothless and under resourced.

Michael Stone could be the next head of SIPO...

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

The problem for FG and its meatbots on Twitter is that it has lost control of the narrative and the story has a momentum of its own. The fact that the Indo, which reads like the Daily Blueshirt at times, is running with this should worry FG. The Ditch and The Village may have been the necessary kick in the balls that the Dublin media needed for so long. It had become little more than a press release recycling service for the government until The Village ran with the Varadkar leak story which destroyed Varadkar's credibility and the Ditch has already broken stories that resulted in two ministerial resignations.

Donohoe was seen as a potential replacement for Varadkar. The problem with appointing a mediocrity like Varadkar as leader is that mediocrities generally give jobs to people who are not a threat to their leadership (the incompetent Harris and McEntee etc). Donohoe was FG's last chance to break with an era of sleaze. Now, his future as a minister may be in question.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

If this is perceived as some sort of corruption scandal, then all I can say is that we've come a long way from the Haughey/ P Flynn/ Liam Lawlor era.

Thats horse **** - there are gazillions of people that could go on these boards, what it comes down to usually is who you know. Its the same punters get picked for loads of different things.

Show me any human being with an “unblemished track record”.

as said who would want to be a politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭CarProblem

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Why aren't you on a board? Would you rather tip the cap?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Guess they aren’t a Paschal crony so haven’t “earned” it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What an amazing coincidence, that Paschal remembered that the postering was happening during the day, just after the photos of the van appeared!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Bit like Troy remembering he had a few houses.

I didn't think too much of this story when it was just the way the donation was handled but then when it comes out that the person making the donation was also appointed to a board by Donohue then it brings another dimension to the story, was the person appointed as payback for doing Pascal a favour? I know the FG acolytes on this thread are trying to convince everyone that this guy Stone was the only person in the whole country that was capable of serving on this board but the appointment does have questions no matter how the FG acolytes try to spin it.

Two boards, not just one. Have people forgotten that he was appointed to the NEIC board, where he oversaw the disbursement of more than €35 million in grants?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

Oh dear oh dear caught in another lie and such a stupid lie as well. Paschal is in trouble here make no mistake the lies are worse than the original error/oversight it is really bad PR when a politician is caught lying repeatedly by a national newspaper.

Interestingly this is being lead by Blue Hugh in the indo one has to wonder if the current furore suits Leo V as it puts the taint of scandal on his last competent minister and leadership rival?

My point is that there are plenty of people who are capable of doing it; in response to someone saying a limited number of people have the skills required. Access to these positions is another thing.

What do you mean "would you rather tip the cap"?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭CarProblem

"I know the FG acolytes on this thread are trying to convince everyone that this guy Stone was the only person in the whole country that was capable of serving on this board"

Strangely this reminds me exactly of the comments when the Zappone issue broke........

FG likes to think that it has the best PR people but they are only 19th century gombeens with iPhones. SF is far more accomplished at spin. Donohoe had a reputation for being a straight shooter but that all gone now. As for Blue Hugh, I don't think that he'd be quite as supportive of Varadkar to run such a story. He's just being a journalist on a good story. Thought it was Philip Ryan who was the lead on the story. The point about Donohoe not responding on the story until SIPO wrote to him meant that the Sindo/Indo had to run the story or lose the scoop. A few FGers might benefit from having Donohoe taken out of the leadership race to replace the discredited Varadkar. The reactions from FF should be interesting because Barry Cowen was voicing a backbencher anger that could be very dangerous for FG's favourite FFer (Martin).

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Pascal is done. When you have future FG spin doctor Shane Coleman nearly in tears trying to defend it this morning you know the end is near.

Off he goes to a cushy number in Europe and all is forgotten about until a fortnight when the next one falls on their sword.

Meanwhile the worst of them all is still in control and his main threats are either under the thumb or have been dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

He's up in the Dáil at 5 for a statement on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Will he actually give a statement on the matter or will it be the usual FG BS attacking the opposition for having the gall to make him give a statement to the Dáil? Also what is with FG are the deliberately looking to lose the next election, clapping English and Donohue at their parliamentary meeting last night as if they were some sort of returning hero's from the frontline and all it was they were exposed for their wrong doings.

• Advertisement

But no time for Q&A - which doesn't seem to show much confidence.

Advertisement