Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭jj880

Have to agree. Good film with some great twists. Reminded me of The Prestige a bit. Not in the same league as The Prestige but still well worth a watch.

Any time I see Harry Melling I always think of the meal ticket scene in Ballad Of Buster Scruggs with him and Liam Neeson. If you've seen it you wouldn't forget it. It stays with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Kung Fu Panda: The Dragon Knight season 2 (2022) Legendary warrior Po teams up with an elite English knight on a global quest to rescue magical weapons, restore his reputation -- and save the world!.

The Makanai: Cooking for the Maiko House season 1 (2023) (Japanese) Hirokazu Kore-eda serves as showrunner, director, and writer for this nine-episode series, based on the manga by Aiko Koyama. Set in the Geiko district of Kyoto, the protagonist Kiyo becomes a Makanai (person who cooks meals) at a house where Maiko (apprentice Geikos) live together. The story depicts the everyday life of Kiyo Maiko Sumire, her childhood friend who came with her from Aomori to Kyoto, amid a vibrant world of Geiko and Maiko courtesans and delicious food. Alongside Kore-eda, Genki Kawamura (Confessions, Villain, Your Name, MIRAI) will be producing. Up-and-coming directors such as Megumi Tsuno (Ten Years Japan), Hiroshi Okuyama (Jesus), and Takuma Sato (Any Crybabies Around?) are directing individual episodes

Too Close for Christmas (2020) Hayley's plan to spend Christmas with her sister's new in-laws hits a snag when the man who triggered her breakup with her ex unexpectedly shows up. .... great timing to release now

Vikings: Valhalla: Season 2 (2023) The follow-up to History’s hit original series begins in the early 11th century and chronicles the legendary adventures of some of the most famous Vikings who ever lived – Leif Eriksson (Sam Corlett), his fiery and headstrong sister Freydis Eriksdotter (Frida Gustavsson) and the ambitious Nordic prince Harald Sigurdsson (Leo Suter).

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Caquas

Elaborate re-enactments with a Madoff look-alike become tiresome - how many times do you want to see the back of his head as he paces around his office?

The real problem is that the series never answers the key question - how did he get away with operating a massive ($64,800 Million!) Ponzi for almost 40 years under the noses of the regulators, despite countless red flags? He surrendered himself when the 2008 market crash blew up his scheme.

Audible's podcast series is far better.

Lots of investors were badly burned but a few very powerful people got special deals with Madoff and took a lot more money out than they put in. Sonja Kohn, who channelled immense amounts of client funds to Madoff, is given a big disclaimer in the middle of Episode 3 about a UK court decision, which tells me Netflix didn't have an appetite for lawsuits on this series. They should have mentioned the Irish court case where one of her offshore entities paid $687 million to settle claims by Madoff investors.

• Advertisement

Feb 24th F1 drive to survive season 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Woman of the dead an Austrian netflix thriller show is a decent watch. I think they should buy cctv cameras in the town is all I'm saying

Signs a polish thriller series. Two parts. Had the potential to be good but ended up being disappointing.

Deadwind a Finnish tv show. 3 series about a Police duo that are very different to each other (male and female ofc). Season 1 was poor but for some reason I stuck with it and really enjoyed season 2 and 3 which didn't spoon feed the viewer like season 1. Season 1 was also the longest with 12 episodes compared to 8 and 6 iirc for season 2 and 3.

I watched the Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker documentary. 90ish mins long. The media and news people in it would make you sick with their I only wanted the best for Kai Stick

Break Point season 1 (2023) Travel alongside some of the world's most talented tennis players as they swing for greatness and Grand Slams through an action-packed season

Dog Gone (2023) When his beloved dog goes missing, a young man embarks on an incredible search with his parents to find him and give him life-saving medication.

Disconnect: The Wedding Planner (2023) After falling victim to a scam, a desperate man races the clock as he attempts to plan a luxurious destination wedding for an important investor

The Man on the Other Side (2019) In this Cold War spy thriller, a West German secretary who has been helping her boyfriend steal government documents is captured by the secret police.

Sky Rojo season 3 (2021) (Spanish) A fatal turn of events at a brothel sends three women haunted by their pasts on a wild run from their pimp and his henchmen. This thriller from the creator of Money Heist returns for a final chapter.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Interested to see what Break Point is like, the tennis version of Drive to Survive.

Post edited by Mantis Toboggan on

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Have heard its pretty meh. I guess it depends on whether you follow tennis or not. I don't think they chose the best people to follow. Seems they were aiming for a changing of the guard type thing, especially with the men, and it didn't really materialise, at least not with the people they were following. There were some big stories in tennis last year, I don't think they covered any of them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Will still give it a watch, I would imagine a lot of the players they wanted wouldn't sign up. With these types of shows it's the story behind the story that's interesting, everybody knows the main headlines.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I think it's just a difficult sport to cover like this. There's so many players that you can't follow them all, so you have to choose your main characters before you start filming, and then try and make something interesting out of what you get.

It's telling that Nadal apparently features heavily in 2 or 3 episodes, even though he's not one of the players they're following.

The general consensus seems to be that if you follow tennis all year round, there's not much in it for you. If you don't follow tennis at all there's not enough to get you invested in any of the players or the sport. If you're a casual, follow it a couple of weeks during slams, kind of fan, it might be an interesting watch.

I'm sure it's the same with most sports documentaries though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭jj880

From Joe.ie:

UNTITLED FIFA WORLD CUP SERIES - Summer 2023

Official synopsis: "Following on from the co-produced series Captains, which followed players throughout qualification for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022, Netflix and FIFA have partnered on a new series that goes behind the scenes at the tournament. The as yet untitled series will be the definitive account of one of the greatest sporting spectacles of all time. With privileged, behind-the-scenes access and exclusive footage in and around all the 32 teams, the series will show viewers the FIFA World Cup as never seen before."

Looking forward to that. Hopefully theres no sign of that Salt Bae gimp in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Still waiting on the golf version which was filmed last year. They hit the jackpot too with all the Liv stuff kicking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭deisedude

They're filming this year's 6 Nations too, apparently. Getting their fingers in all the pies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I watched the hitchhiker with the machete tonight. It was really excellent, funny, sad, interesting and tragic all at the same time. I had never heard about it beforehand, some real weird stuff happens in USthat doesn’t make the news here.

Under Siege (1992) A disgruntled former CIA operative and his group of terrorists commandeer a nuclear battleship. Standing in their way is one tough cook

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi (2016) Members of an elite security team battle to save the lives of trapped U.S. Consulate personnel under attack by armed terrorists in Benghazi, Libya.

Ali (2001) This riveting biopic follows Muhammad Ali's rise to become boxing's greatest and most controversial fighter as he faces bigger battles outside the ring.

The Client (1994) After stumbling across information about a murder that puts his life in danger, an 11-year-old boy seeks help from a lawyer with her own troubled past..

Runaway Jury (2003) A gun manufacturer hires a jury consultant to score a favorable verdict in a landmark trial, but two scheming con artists have a different deal in mind.

Don't Say a Word (2001) A psychiatrist strikes a desperate -- and possibly deadly -- bargain with criminals as he tries to unearth a valuable secret locked in his patient's mind..

The Last Full Measure (2019) A Pentagon lawyer reviews a posthumous petition to award a war hero with the Medal of Honor and discovers the shocking reasons behind its denial...

JFK (1991) A New Orleans district attorney investigates the assassination of John F. Kennedy and discovers there's more to the story than the official report.

Added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I watched this when it first aired on RTE and it is absolutely brilliant, he told it exactly as it is.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Bank of Dave (2023) After big financial institutions fail the people in his small town, a self-made car dealer decides to fight the odds and set up his own local bank

Added

Christmas Wedding Planner (2017) A wedding planner's world is turned upside down when a handsome private investigator is hired to disrupt one of her biggest jobs

The Devil to Pay (2019) When her husband disappears, a struggling Appalachian farmer must find a way to repay his debt to a powerful local family before they hurt her son.

Added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Makanai - Cooking for the Maiko House.

I’m really enjoying this as a piece of soothing January TV. It’s a TV show with the great Japanese filmmaker Hirokazu Kore-eda as its showrunner. It’s about a group of trainee geishas living together in Gion in Kyoto, and the one trainee who isn’t quite cut out for the job but is a dab hand at delicious, homely meals. So she becomes the sort of live-in chef - or Makanai - to the rest of the group.

This is a show with barely existent stakes, and all the better for it. If you’re familiar with Kore-Eda, this is him at his gentlest - perhaps most akin to his films Our Little Sister and I Wish. It’s just a charming, low-key character study full of lovely little moments. And the cooking & food scenes are ridiculously appetising.

It may not be for everyone - again, this is about as small and modest a drama as you’re likely to find on TV. But if you like Kore-eda’s films or Japanese slice-of-life drama, this is a lovely, warm show that does what it does with understated elegance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Fantastic recommendation for The Funeral Director. Strangely a very easy watch considering the topic. Unbelievable work they do.

Baptiste season 2 (2020) Detective Julien Baptiste takes on the case of a missing sex worker to help the Amsterdam police chief in this spinoff of the series "The Missing."

Kevin & Perry Go Large (2000) When two randy teens foil a bank robbery and receive a sizable reward, they embark on a trip to Ibiza in search of girls.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

If you've never seen Kevin & Perry Go Large - firstly, shame on you, secondly, watch it immediately!

Preview of 2023 films. Can't say it's tempting me to uncancel my subscription.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I look forward to 2023's list of "blockbusters" that I'll forget 30 minutes after watching them - or when Netflix release their 2024 trailer lol.

The Heart of Stone looks like the same kind of bland porridge we saw with The Grey Man or The Adam Project or Red Notice or or ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I'm enjoying this as well. It's very sweet and wholesome. I don't think I've ever seen a show quite like this, it's very slow, quiet and subdued but very engrossing. I'm fascinated by Japanese culture and cooking, so this is right up my street. I also loved Shoplifters, which has a similar tone (but was ultimately much more serious and dramatic).

For some reason it reminds me of Call Me By Your Name, just the way the camera lingers on food, scenery and small moments.

Advertisement