Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothing 101- recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

You can get thin merino glove liners which go under gloves. I've used them with thicker gloves on the absolute coldest days. Not sure how much they will help in keeping you dry though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Paddigol

If it's warm you want, I'd second the suggestion of wearing thin merino liner gloves underneath. That's obviously dependent on the fit/ sizing of the Galibers on you though.

If staying dry is the priority, I find that a lightweight, packable waterproof mitt (overglove) is excellent - just put it on when it starts pouring rain and stick them back in your pocket when it stops. Nothing worse that wet hands as you're sure to find that they'll get cold quickly. And if gloves are sodden, there's almost no chance of warming hands up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I just use cheap Amazon/ Chinese gloves as "running" gloves, where they'll fit under my main glove.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I've used Energie bibs all winter for weekend endurance spins 4-5 hrs each day. Very impressed with them & likely to get a second pair for easrly season racing as the fit is excellent.

I will caveat that I tend to do a fair bit of gravelling (where the extra protection is welcome), but rare enough this winter that I've got out on both dry roads and no rain for an entire spin even on the road bike. Must have another look at the Energie Bib Tights though.

• Advertisement

I know this place is a bit of a Galibier fan-boy echo chamber sometimes (honestly, buy these, pound-for-pound they've got to be the best gloves ever... Élysée Leather Glove - Galibier), but I find another Irish company's bibs and jerseys to be better quality and also excellent value - anyone else use Victory Chimp (Victory Chimp - Cycling Apparel To Make You Smile) and find the same? Got a paid of their thermal cargo bib tights for Christmas and they're excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I like VC apparel, have this jersey of theirs. Slightly wild but that's what I like about it.

Have the same one (and the other version (stripes) of it too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Last time I looked, proces were very expensive, but I'll give them a thought next time around.

Someone around here had recommended them, and I liked their designs, but the price put me off at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Just a follow up on those Galibier Barrier Deep Winter Gloves I've used them three times now since getting them last week. There a bit bulky especially coming from thinner gloves. My fingers get a bit sore in them but I seem to have this problem in any glove that are not like a second skin.

This morning I had both the gloves and merino glove liners on because obviously very cold out. The cold kept coming and going but by the end my thumbs where pretty much numb. I had to keep moving my fingers and hands when I slowed down just to keep blood flow. There decent gloves and very well made but if you are prone to cold hands nothing really seems to change that on a bike because if you go too thick you can barely grip the bars.

You sound like you have my hands! Have you tried leather cycling gloves? They're the only ones that I find work for me in proper cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I read your post about the Galibier ones above https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119962849/#Comment_119962849 but when I went to get them theres only size S and XS left, so I presume it will be later this year before I can actually get them.

I use the leather mitts, and by jeepers, the difference it makes in regard to not getting numbness is night and day.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I also wore my Galibier Barrier Deep Winter Gloves this morning and at one point whilst waiting at traffic lights, I noticed that my fingers were cold but soon forgot about them so they can't have been that bad. Strava is telling me that it was -3.0℃ and felt like -6.0℃.

I've quite low blood pressure so my extremeties tend to feel the cold quite easily FWIW.

I couldn't believe it. And the value of the Galibier ones is unbelievable. I use them as regular gloves if commuting off the bike too. Hope they're back in stock soon for you.

Didnt even know leather cycling gloves where a thing! I can't buy anymore gloves I already have like four or five pairs haha!

Just ordered a pair of them now (XL). Should arrive before the weekend, I hope it's going to be a cold one.... 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I'm lucky the cold doesn't bother me, still haven't worn gloves yet and leg warmers just once; that's for 3hr or so morning rides.

If I did suffer from cold hands the first thing I would do is

• fit carbon handlebars and thermally insulate my hands the heat sink that is metal bars/stem/bicycle frame
    • fit double bar tape

Cold hands is a heat loss issue, gloves only fix one side of the equation. Muscle action is the only natural way (brown fat heat generation to but that's not going to get to your hands) to add heat on the other side of the equation, so either pedal harder if possible or use specific hands/arm movement to generate muscle heat.

The double bar tape is a good call. I've done that on my winter bike (not sure if I'm bothered upgrading to carbon on that one). Primarily for comfort/ to dampen vibration, but makes sense on the hand temp. too.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭ARX

Got these winter gloves from Rose, big disappointment. Hands were frozen within minutes of leaving the house this morning. A pair of disposable plastic gloves over them helped.

• Advertisement

Cold hands isn't just a heat loss issue, if you've poor circulation. I've double wrapped bars, wear liner gloves under deep winter gloves and I've still cold hands on the bike until I've warmed up. Core temp has more of an influence for me than what is and isn't on my hands - quite often they'll get cold if I've been inactive at the desk or sofa for a while.

I've been weighing up heated gloves, but can't get ones rechargeable that'll deliver here on Amazon. And then the "branded" ones you can get, they're very expensive. I'm reluctant only that it is a short term issue for me on the bike, rather than the entire spin. However, they would be good for beside the football pitch too!

Hands where in bits again this morning could barely feel my fingers at certain stages and felt was making my hands even more sore having to cutch the bars and keep my hands from slipping.

The only thing making it go away for a bit was when I was stopped I had to shake my hands and rub them together.

Its annoying and hopefully it doesn't cause me any issues but just have to put up with it I guess!

Otherwise there lovely gloves haha!

I think Ekoi have a pair on sale at the moment... still around €100 though! EKOI HEAT CONCEPT 5 Winter Heating Gloves - EKOI

I'm the same, my hands will be frozen until I start climbing and get out of the saddle... core temp rises and hands are ok. Same issue then gives rise to problems with 'Deep Winter' gloves... they're great at the start of a spin, but as soon as core temp rises my hands start sweating and feel suffocated. Trying to get gloves off is a pain in the hole... hands cool down again... then you're putting hands back into damp gloves. It's why I find the fleece lined leather gloves super... they seem to be excellent at heat retention, are completely windproof, very good in rain, and have really good breathability for that type of glove.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Bought these a few years ago and haven't had cold hands since - well worth the expense

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Have these myself. Well one.One is gone hiding in my house somewhere

It's the Ekoi I have been weighing up - a club mate has an earlier iteration, and really rates them. My heated socks make a big difference (bigger than I thought when I did a spin without them!), but core temp has less impact on my feet cycling.

Ultimately, I find an extra layer on my body helps more than what I do with my hands, after the initial half hour or so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'd well believe this, happened to me years ago, got infected and everything. Looking back it was shortly after an audaxer pointed out my saddle weas too high and I was rocking side to side on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭JMcL

I'd agree here. I have the Mistral bibs which are great but quite stiff, and while I don't have the Energie tights, I do have the Energie Roubaix shorts. I paired them with a pair of Ardennes leg warmers today (-1 but felt a lot lower because of the NW wind - Strava tells me -4) and was quite comfortable. I'm a convert to a decent pair of leg warmers I must say, and only used tights a handful of times last winter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

A year ago I would have said yes but not any more. I have a pair of their T-tiburu bib shorts that are really comfortable but a hole developed in the outer fabric under one of my sit bones. Admittedly they were a few years old but I reserved them for the odd long sportif or multi day events and rarely wore them on regular club spins. When I raised the issue with Assos they said they were out of warranty and the saddle probably had a raised patern or logo at that spot. I pointed out that it didn't and that none of my much cheaper shorts or tights had worn through. Eventually they offered me 10% off the list price of a new pair. I think you can imagine what I told them to do with their 10%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

My current pair are probably about 5 winters old and are as warm as anything else I tried including an expensive Rockl pair. Initially they were reasonably waterproof but never in a proper downpour and, like all gloves, once they get wet, they are pretty useless.

Advertisement