Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothing 101- recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Antipathetic

I second the suggestion of the Vent Ultra although I haven't used mine for that long. It's handy when you start a ride and cold, and then warm up a while after, to be able to take off the Gillet and stuff it in your jersey pocket. 

For some reason the search on this site doesn't seem to work properly for me. So sorry if it has been mentioned before. Does anyone have suggestions for shoes compatible with Shimano SPD? I had a look online at Decathlon but unfortunately didn't say anything that took my fancy. I'm looking for shoes with those fasteners you twist to tighten them to your feet (I'm sure there is a proper name for them)

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

BOA dials are what you’re looking for.

if you’re looking for something with dual boas, have a look at the Shimano XC7s, I’ve a pair of the XC5s and they’re great.

The one thing I’d say is it’s fairly important to get shoes that fit well, so pick from somewhere with easy returns

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I have one of these, good gilet but expensive, I think anyway at 77 euro. They look to have about 10 different colour options

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Is that brand normally expensive? Mad to think have to pay that money for a thin jacket without sleeve's haha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭De Bhál

like most/all cycling brands...it's expensive. Good gilet though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I really like the Victory Chimp stuff. Bit more expensive than Galibier, but tbh, I find their cut and quality on jerseys and shorts a bit better. Compared to some proper premium brands I think that Victory Chimp offers good value for what you pay. And some of their stuff looks great, something different to the boring same old same old you get from the likes of Assos/ Rapha/ Castelli.

I also have to say that a good quality gilet - one that offers real wind/ chill protection and fits nicely - will likely be one of the best bits of kit you own in terms of versatility and longevity.

Cheers lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭cletus

I don't want to come across as a fanboy here, this is a genuine question.

I had a look at the Victory Chimp website, because I'm looking at buying another pair of cargo bib shorts. With shipping, the Victory Chimp shorts come in at almost twice the cost (€122.90) of a pair of Galibier cargo bib shorts (€67.85).

Would you consider them to be twice as good quality as the Galibier shorts?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I just can't get myself past the branding - 'victory chimp' just think it's woeful and the logo is terrible too

• Advertisement

It's a very fair question. I've a pair of Galibier 3/4 bibshorts, and I have the Victory Chimp Thermal Cargo Bib Tights. The Galibers are grand. The Victory Chimps are quality. For me, the difference would be worth €60 over the years I'll be using them. The fit, chamois, and finish is just better. There's no getting away from the fact that Galibier stuff is ridiculously good value across the board. And some of their stuff is top notch (not sure if their leather winter gloves can be beaten by any brand, and just bought their Courchevel storm jacket last week, which also seems really really good). I just think that Victory Chimp offer a bit more when it comes to jerseys and shorts, where fit and attention to the small details really counts on long spins and for longevity.

If I was stuck for money, I'd go with the Galibiers. If I wasn't going to miss the €60 I'd go for the Victory Chimp.

Fair enough. Doesn't bother me at all. No more than a logo of a scorpion anyway. In a way it's a nice change from some of the pretentious branding out there.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you find the fit compared to shoes you normally wear. I have read that Shimano shoes tend to run a size smaller than others.

I think I have narrowed down my choice of shoes to either the XC 702 or RX8 the 702 seem to be more designed for XC, whereas the RX8 seem to be aimed at use primarily on roads and smoother trails.

My question is there is a €45 difference between the 702 and RX8 do you think the RX8 are worth the higher price. Although I do like the 702 in the colour red.

https://mtb.shimano.com/gear/footwear/sh-xc702

https://gravel.shimano.com/gear/footwear/sh-rx801

I should add that I mainly ride on the road, perhaps it is just the part of the country that I live in, but here in Ireland we don't seem to have many mountain bike trails or accessible gravel trails. Although perhaps I just need to look harder for them on a map.

Post edited by Antipathetic on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Obviously I'm a massive fan of Galibier, but have a pair of Sports Pursuit kessock cargo bibs sat in my basket waiting to be justified. With some of the weekend discounts, coming in cheaper than Galibier, but an extra pocket too (if I'm going cargo, might as well go all in).

I've never really been able to justify the victory chimp prices, and the branding doesn't really sit right with me tbh. But have nearly pulled the trigger on some of the casual stuff, and was it them with the buckie bidon?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Difference between the two is mostly marketing tbh. Majority of SPD shoes are the exact same, all that really matters is how stiff the sole is, if the upper is breathable, and the fasteners.

Personally would go with the xc702, dual boa instead of just one boa and Velcro.

I’m usually a uk11 in most shoes, and I have a 47 in my XC5s, probably could have gone down to a 46 comfortably. My road shoes, the RC702s are a 46 but the wide fit because I’ve a bit of a wider foot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭JMcL

Northwave Razer are really good shoes with dual boa style closures. They're quality and can be had at decent prices if you shop around. If you've wide feet, they can come up a bit on the narrow side - I'd like a smidgen more width personally, but that said, I've usually got awful trouble getting shoes that fit. Their sizing on the website seems fairly accurate

Sorry didn't see your message originally for some reason! Is this the one your talking about? Vent Air Gilet - Galibier

If so how thin and ''skin tight'' is it? That one looks almost see thru from what i can tell looking at reviews on other sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

Have to say I like the look of Victory Chimps gear and I'm tempted. How would it compare quality and size wise to Santini? I always tend to stick to them because I know the sizing, but fancy something different

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭cletus

I've no idea how long that sale price will last, but I'll leave one of those bib shorts in my basket until payday next week 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I have the previous version of that gilet, it's white and non stretch. It is very thin, almost feels like paper, which means it packs up very small. Very handy to bring with you just in case it gets colsd or for a long descent because you hardly feel it in your pocket. I sized up to XL as it was being worn outside other layers., also I was carrying extra weight when I bought it!

I'm trying to do man maths on getting the later black stretch material.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

are these the leather gloves??

https://www.galibier.cc/product/elysee-leather-cycling-gloves/

I missed them last year and will have to wait until autumn this year to get them, they look the business. I bought the leather mitts for last summer and they do wonders for the sore hands I used to get when cycling.

https://www.galibier.cc/product/liberte-leather-cycling-gloves/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

finally going to use a new pair of Pearl izumi shoes i purchased as a result of a bargain alert 2 yrs ?? ago. anyway shoes come with 2 sets of supports

one for the arch and a second for the ball of my feet...arch labelled med and high....ball labelled 1.5 and 3mm

will try out w/o any first....but if i want/need the supports (i do suffer from hotfoot on longer rides) do the supports go under the footbed/insole ?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Were they the Pro Leader V4. I bought them at the time as well. The arch supports (mine came with 3 different sizes) slot into a slot underneath the insole. I don't remember getting other supports for the ball of the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

yes thats them, wore them today..still a little bit of hotfoot...maybe need to break them in before trying the supports,,yes 3 arch supports and 2 ball supports

(replacing a very worn and aging pair of Bont Blitz gotten here SH on boards...great buy)

Yeah, they're the ones. Superb. I'll be getting another pair for when mine eventually wear out.

I'm a medium in their stuff. 5'11 and about 72kg. Most of the stuff I've got from them is 'racing cut', and I find the sizing to be the same as Sportful. Not sure about Santini. But would consider the VC sizing to be 'as expected' (i.e. not uber Italian!). They are very helpful too if you drop them an email re sizing...

saw this in another thread, Wiggle are having their summer sale with upto 50% off.

Thanks @kneemos

• Registered Users Posts: 49 DrumcDub1

Doing a couple of sportives soon and looking for something that can hold off the rain should the heavens open.

Ideally something lightweight that can fit in the back of a jersey?

One other question, is there any issue wearing a waterproof jacket with bib shorts (conscious the weather is still quite warm regardless of rain), for example rain simply running off my upper body and into shoes?

I did spot this, any use? https://www.galibier.cc/product/tempest-pro/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've an earlier iteration of the tempest - it's good vfm imo. It's the water of your legs that will run into your shoes/ and road spray on your shoes*. I don't think the jacket will make any difference good or bad to your feet.

*I've used waterproof boots, with gaiters, various overshoes. Water gets in your shoes, eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

Can anyone recommended some suitably stretchy chinos or smart trousers for cycling to and wearing around the office?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

They will get wrecked between sweat, road spray and oil from your chain.

Can you not being a work pair of trousers in a backpack or leave in work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Stillnotworking

Are there any Bricks and Mortar Gorewear stores in Dublin. Thinking of taking the plunge on the Shakedry jacket but I'm curious on sizing. Thanks.

Advertisement