Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Renewables Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭con747

No issue in posting the link is there? @paulbok is it this one? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Knightsbridge-Smart-2G-Socket-White/dp/B0895Y7LJQ/ I might get one for the washing machine and tumble dryer.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Also Knightsbridge is a rebrand/label/whatever of the tuya brand

So the likes of ener-j is the same manufacturer of the devices.

(Basically anything that uses the smartlife app)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Is it a secret? Post on the thread and it will cut out the "Can you PM me too please" posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,031 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think you're right about the door fitting, the seals are in good condition but from the outside there are some small gaps around the edges and there does seem to be a bit if a draft coming in

The door itself also seems cold. I know it's insulated but there's only so much you can pack into a door that's a few centimetres thick

I might see if I can get the door adjusted for a better fit, I know mine also has some degree of adjustment because it was scraping before and the fitter came out and fixed it by adjusting the hinges

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 11,031 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

@DrPhilG if you do get new windows and doors, check was kind of after sales support you'll be able to get.

The crowd who installed ours when the house was built 5 years ago told me recently they don't do any repair work since the builders left the site, even paid repair work

There's plenty of window repair companies around so it isn't hard to get someone to fix them, but it's always nice to have some degree of after sales available

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭paulbok

Wasn't sure if such links were allowed.

Anyway con747 has it linked above.

When you fit it will you update us on how good it works on Wi Fi, I have issues with smart stuff and signals and need boosters and powerline adapters for most of mine.

Will do. It's due on Thursday so will try and fit it on Friday.

Just remembered I have an outdoor one of these * that I fitted late November to run the Xmas lights off. Connected easily to the Tuya app and works well with Home Assistant. I've good wifi coverage where it is and the new one will be going so don't expect any issues.

* Smart WiFi Waterproof Outdoor Double Socket - Certified Works with Alexa + Certified Works with Google Assistant https://amzn.eu/d/5iH8iWq

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

The logistics involved in transporting a single wind turbine blade is staggering. 180km from Killybegs to Owenwinny.

I watched a few documentaries recently about them being transported in Australia and America and the logistics was a nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Fitter is a good friend of mine.

And I know where he lives lol.

I Dont have the link but i think i seen recently where they had a blade mounted on a giant hinge. They could "lift" the turbine blane up to clear lower obstacles, and shorten its "ground length"

• Registered Users Posts: 65,071 ✭✭✭✭unkel

And those turbines are tiny. A quick search shows that they are just 3MW each

The biggest ones being deployed in Europe are 16MW and I read recently that there are Chinese ones being built that are 18MW

Are they offshore? No trees to worry about out there!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Haven't considered external insulation to the house due to the cost involved, but I do know it is by far the most effective way of improving heat retention.

We did however get the wall cavities pumped a year after we moved in, there was none what so ever in the walls as it was built in the fifties. It made a huge difference for relatively low money ~€1K.

External insulation isn't an option at all, cost is outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

Like everything it’s a matter of opinion and what matters to someone. Can you pump the cavity walls or is it solid construction? A bungalow should be cheaper as you’ve a lot less scaffolding for external insulation. External insulation and new windows while not cheap will transform the house and get it ready for a heat pump when the time eventually comes.

6.96kwp South facing

Fair enough, I'll clarify. External insulation isn't an option at all for me. Simply don't have the funds and couldn't justify it if I did.

Had rough guesstimates a good while back and it was north of €25k.

It's a bungalow, walls aren't pumped and I'm not going to. An external wall with severe weather exposure is a recipe for internal damp. Have a few friends who found this out the hard way.

Even had one very honest insulation company advise against it even though it rules them out of the quote.

Well said @DrPhilG

In general deep retrofitting or any super expensive job to insulate a house is a very bad idea as it is poor value for money. Unless you do it yourself or get a huge subsidy - which by definition is poor use of tax payer's money.

€25k Jaysus. That would pay for nearly 25 years of my gas bill. Spent €10k on renewables and you will have a far better return. And use the tax payer's gift on that in a more efficient way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Jaysus that's mad money for the external insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

It's a interesting one this. There's the simple on the surface ROI on money spent. For sure, the likelihood of a good break even point is going to be ~20 years - if not more! For many this is a poor deal, if not a terrible deal. That money could be better well spent on other renewables. Even things like increasing your attic insulation, triple glazing, etc.

However, houses typically last for 60-80 years. There are estates in Dublin which are 100+ year old around cabra for example (although they are probably "listed" and your ability to add insulation externally could be limited)...... and in that context of fixing something now that will save energy for 50+ years going forward, that's probably a good investment (for the government) albeit the current owners wouldn't seem to do well out of it, if you know what I mean. One positive thing though, it might open the door to installing a heat pump as your losses will be improved, so it might have other advantages.

I think though really you would have to have an E rated house (or worse) to make it worthwhile.

Imagine the solar installation you could get for €25K :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭KCross

One oft missed element is that some banks provide better mortgage rates if you achieve a higher BER rating.

This single thing can be worth thousands to you for decades to come.

I locked myself into a 2.1% fixed rate after improving my BER due to adding Solar PV. To be fair I had an efficient house anyway but the Solar tipped it over the edge to qualify for that “Green” rate.

If you are doing multiple improvements you might qualify too so take a look at that.

Interest rates have gone up 1.5%+ since, so that rate has, on its own, paid for 100% of my Solar install.

Outside that, I’d like to echo that it isn’t entirely about ROI. Comfort is more important, within reason of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Yeah, I'd also agree that it's not entirely about ROI. Comfort being the main thing with heating, but also, if you can afford it, your doing your bit for the environment.

I totally agree on cost of external insulation IF you get a third party to do it. That's why I said home owner to do all the donkey prep work and putting the insulation on, it's simple dab and mechanical fix. Even by missing the grant this would severely reduce costs and a bungalow is the best case as no scaffolding required. Anyhow, it's a big commitment and not for everyone. I'd consider DIY on my North facing rear of the house but I'd only do it if I could do my converted side garage and that would mean neighbour issues, you don't have this in a standalone private site

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Picked up this to help cut down on the cooking costs last night, an instant pot on offer on Amazon. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OP26T4K?psc=1

Nice day today. Only 2C here in Lucan at the moment (real feel -1C), yet I am heating my entire house + shed directly with electricity from solar PV (mining rig + infra red panels), my battery is full and I am heating my water with the excess PV. Plus heating water from the 40 thermal tubes that have just about been defrosted about an hour now

Who said solar doesn't work in winter?

Works with good sun and no shading, tree/neighbourhood shading is the killer on many of us when the sun is low in the sky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭DC999

Good tips there. We will replace the gas cooker with an electric oven and induction hob. We use 1kWh of gas a day for cooking on average per year. And it's not good in terms of fumes that cooking on gas creates. Problem is the kitchen is tiny so will need an oven below the induction hob - likely costs more to have both together. In terms of gas usage, cooking is about 7% and 93% is heating (which we reduced a huge amount this year with a few electric rads). So we'll reduce gas much more quickly with electric heating than moving to an electric cooker (and use air fryer at times too).

I did see portable induction hobs for use in small spaces. Clips onto wall wen not in use and you then put onto the worktop when needed. Can get 1 or 2 rings. Great for a couple maybe, but wouldn't be safe to cook family dinners on it when kitchen was busy with kids about. The rings aren't secured to anything, they just sit on the worktop.

We have a little robot vacuum and means we use the plugin vacuum much less. 1st one died as the brush motor died. They aren't designed to pick up anything heavy. We've pets in a cage so bits of long grass that feel out killed the motor. It slowed the brush from spinning I guess. I did try replace the motor myself but got a motor online and turns out it's for a drill. A drill does 1000s of RPMs a minute. A robot hoover muchhhhhhh less so. So that was a fail :)

Advertisement