Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,722 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Looks like it could be DFB to me, but quality is too hard to tell

Ribbon at the bottom is what makes me think it’s DFB instead of Kildare or Meath since it’s the only one that has it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭tnegun

Prick of a Taxi driver tonight he was driving too close so I turned around and held up my hand telling him to stop, he wasn't too impressed with that and then pulled in front of a car to get around me which then sided with him and started gesturing and beeping at me too! All for nothing of course the lights ahead were red and I caught him seconds later to exchange views!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you get her insurance company involved; the fact you've a video and are only asking for €500 they'll pay up in an instant. that's vanishingly cheap compared to most payouts they make, i'd say.

a colleague got significantly more than that for an incident where he suffered injuries avoiding a car; which he did not actually come in contact with, so similar to the above in a sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

MOST people just want it done and dusted without involving insurance premiums rising.

If you can get the details in the next day or two, I personally would contact first, then buy.(but again, most people would be happy with the bill being that low, and not being taken advantage of)

That junction in Phibsboro is notorious for that particular manoeuvre, even when I'm driving a double decker in that lane ~ someone flashes them and they think they own the road, the CAN'T see anything else.

Hopefully your ribs recover quickly, and you get your other bits sorted too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was that not that the gardai/dpp decided not to prosecute? if so, that's very different to making an insurance claim (or asking for €500 for damaged equipment); Breezer is not looking to prosecute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭MacDanger

100% the driver's fault obviously but would the fact that you didn't actually collide with the car affect who is liable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Probably not considering the low value but in a higher value claim, it would be interesting to know how liability would be assessed

a colleague got 13k after he hit his head off a different car while avoiding a collision with the woman who caused it. he never made contact with the car of the woman who caused the incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭standardg60

Great example of how the natural split-second fear kicks in and you flip the bike.

Driver will be easily traceable given you've spoken and have the reg, but yes you will need the guards.

Hope you're recovering ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I had the exact same happen to me a few years back. T-boned by a driver turning across traffic to Appian Way just before Leeson St. Thankfully I didn't need to involve insurers - no physical injuries other than bit of bruising, but wheelset and drive train needed replacing. Ended up being €1,000 and I think driver (newly qualified) was just happy not to have to get insurers involved as he'd have been screwed for years after that. It helped that there were other cyclists stopped at the lights to rebut any suggestion that he had right of way/ green lights (his green filter for turning right wasn't on, just green for main traffic continuing straight in both directions). But I imagine it could easily get messy if (a) you've no camera evidence/ witnesses or (b) the driver is an a$$hat.

Hope it's resolved quickly for you and no lasting niggles.

He mentioned he worked in the medical field so probably has easier access to things like that than most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Bloody idiot left-hooked me this afternoon, along the Grand Canal at Harold's Cross.

Even before he got clear of me he slowed down to turn left into a private site.

Most annoying thing was he was a Deliveroo eejit on an ebike. Anyway, I hope my simple Christmas greeting was not misunderstood.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Seen a right hook yesterday, was on Johnstown road, at the lights were a right turn takes you to Bakers corner. Range Rover came up the left turn lane at about 60kmph and then right hooked the car at the top (who had a red light) and thankfully I seen it coming as I was moving through the junction (with a green) and stopped dead. Missed the front of my car by 3 inches. No one even flinched or cared. F*CK driving in Dublin, what a sh1thole of a place to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

I always found Cork terrible, for years, Dublin at least has sparks of humanity on the roads. Galway always struck me as just ignorance rather than aggression but it's been a long time. Limerick I've always found pleasant. My own local town is great, incidents are rare and can be as little as two a month. One is always a young lad with no sense and the other a lack of spatial awareness, never seems to be intentional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭munsterfan2

I think it's the Xmas rush, gone nuts out there, dropping the wife to work (in the car) and had a truck and a car pull out of side roads on top of me. Managed to brake for the truck and swerve for the car. Everyone is in a hurry. Was thinking of cycling to Tara tmw, but not sure I will now.

My son has decided that he wishes to start saving for his future and the most prudent way to do this is the production of a swear jar to filter money from me to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

This incident with a Go Ahead bus (45A route) happened in Kilmacanogue, Co. Wicklow, last February. I reported it to them at the time but they didn't want to know. As it qualified as probably the worst experience (of many) I have ever had on a bike I also reported it to AGS. I have always had the utmost of support and professionalism from them with how they have dealt with my complaints up to now but this time 7 or 8 messages and 2 hand written, hand delivered letters later and still no reply from the person supposedly investigating this I have decided to publish the videos here.

The front camera, centrally mounted, shows the shadow of the bus approaching from behind and also my shadow shows my frantic signalling requesting the driver to back off. The rear video clearly shows that rather than back off as requested, the driver actually drove his bus at me instead. Luckily I had taken the lane so I had some leeway, which I was forced to use in what was undoubtedly a very hairy incident.

The footage clearly shows that the bus left its terminus, so there had clearly been no history between us. and then, rather than yield before joining the main road, decided the ROTR didn't apply to him and he was entitled to drive his multi tonne bus at the bicycle in front of him instead. What makes it even more insulting wad that I was wearing a 'Stayin' Alive at 1.5' gilet with a photo of a camera and the words 'Recording My Journey' on my back!

There is strong language which I took ownership for in my statement and was prepared to back up in court. But it never got that far ...

It's at moments like this I wish I did more social media:

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Drivers don't hear swearing, but they take incredible offence at various hand gestures they serve for being cretins.

Nearly hit me so you can run a red light, not a problem. Me sticking my finger up is a crime against humanity though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I'm glad it's not just me then! Totally moronic and dangerous driving and for what? But you're right, they live among us

• Advertisement

Ugh first day back and I was cutup this morning by a bus passing and immediately pulling into a stop, the van following was having none of me passing before him so I had to go on the brakes or risk being sandwiched.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Nearly came a cropper yesterday evening as a car went through a yield sign just as I was passing by. The car slammed on the brakes after she finally saw me at the last second. Audible gasps from 2 old dears who were waiting to cross showed me how close it was.

It was dark but I have 2 front lights flashing and a reflect360 cycling jacket so hard to believe that she didn't see me as the nature of the junction is that I was approaching her (she was coming from a road on my right) and I was in the middle of the road as I was turning right at an almost immediate subsequent junction.

My guess is she looked and saw the lights of a car which was 30m behind me and assumed I was on the kerb so she could go anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Ah 2023. It's been an eventful start. Near empty roads have lead to lots of close passing by speeding motorists who are enjoying the opportunity to drive in a relatively car free Dublin until the mayhem resumes next week. Had a taxi driver telling me I shouldn't be on the road yesterday and I should be in the cycle lane - I was turning right and had to leave a cycle lane that went straight on only and in any case was stopped at a red. This morning, it was the turn of a motorists who decided to drive up a narrow one way street this morning, running me off the road in the process.

You'd think someone driving up a one way street would take it handy, lest they come across an oncoming car. But sure if it's someone on a bike, just blast on past them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

It was definetly a day of anger out there this morning.

Two incidents:

1) A cyclist hit my shoulder quiet hard this morning when on the footpath walking the dog, they continue to shout abuse at me to leave space for them on a narrow footpath. What is worst, there is a protected cycle lane beside the path on the road and 20 meters later they jumped into the lane!!!!!

2) Was in the car and was turning left but saw a cyclist, so slowed down to let them go by as too close for me to turn, car behind over takes me and cuts in and takes the turn cutting the cyclists off. Cyclist got a massive shock!!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheHouseIRL

A lovely kamikaze commuter this morning

https://streamable.com/in8br8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

What an adiot.....she probably does that everyday and never previously encountered another cyclist.

Hope you had words with her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,722 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

or moving into the bus lane, she swung out into the middle of the lane for a bit before pulling back in too.

Absolute madness

Had one of the consular car drivers from the Iranian embassy stare me dead in the eyes and then jump the clutch as I was coming past. I gave some choice words but no response. I don't think it was malicious, just a case of, you are not important enough to notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheHouseIRL

Not a near miss for me, but someone else

https://streamable.com/akq1h7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Ah it’s alright like. He’s wearing hi-viz, so completely safe.

Total muppet that behavior just fuels bikes v everything else crap.

I had similar encroachment in Maynooth yesterday and stopped to speak to the driver, she was just a young girl and followed the car in front pulling into the cycle lane to get around a car with trailer turning right. I was right along side her and saw the car ahead pull in and had a feeling she might do the same so slowed and sure enough she cut in. I was still close enough to bang on her rear side window and she got a fright and stopped. I explained what happened and she was honestly more shook by it than I was. Yet another instance of paint doesn't make infrastructure. On a positive note some of the on road cycle lanes in Lucan on my commute have had segregation installed which is welcomed as these we're regularly parked in.

The car to their right was pulled out a bit and you can see they pull in when the large truck was coming, possibly panicked about room. Still stupid but that's why they done it AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Yeah you are right. While she should of looked around, if the truck had hit the car the cyclist was gone.

I don't believe the truck would of but you can see the panic.

Not a hope it was hitting the car but you see it al0t, many people struggle judging the space occupied by things other than themselves. Most of us get it close enough, but some drivers really over estimate and other underestimate, severely. So like I said, not malicious but dear lord, maybe driving just isn't for them. Lots of things I can't do but legally am allowed to, same for this driver, if they misjudged that, they do it alot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Cycling down the hill from Cook street towards the Brazen head and about to turn left onto Ushers Quay on the separated cycle track when two kids with hoods and masks on a scrambler motorbike come tearing around the corner toward me at high speed, facing into traffic playing chicken. I'd no where to go so pull into the kerb fast... As I'm slowing theyre about to pass fast, but about 2 feet out from me the fella on the back throws an egg so hard that it literally smashes into my face, goo and shell and soon blood explode everywhere. The shell split the skin on my nose and forehead it had so much force from such close range. If I'd not be wearing my glasses he could have blinded me. Standing there a little shocked, wiping up the mess with my gloves, not one person asked me if I was alright. I probably couldve counted 10 or more direct witnesses, mostly tourists. It wasn't till I asked some guy if there was a lot of blood on my face that I was offered a tissue. Just madness, Dublin city center has really gone to sh#t, two o'clock on a Saturday afternoon.. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Grand, just a bit annoyed tbh and very glad now it wasn't a rock or something heavier he threw. I've Gardai in the family I mentioned it to but tbh I wouldn't waste my time reporting it officially.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

A woman was blinded a few years ago as a result of an egging. To add hurt and financial pain to physical injury, she lost a case against the driver of the drive by egging subsequently if I remember rightly. Should definitely go to AGS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭feelings

Absolutely. Do this, even though there's no chance anything can be done. But the stats need to show it.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

From what I heard, she took a case against the driver of the car because he was 18 and therefore of responsible age where as the individual who threw the egg was under age. The driver simply denied any responsibility in throwing the egg. That's what I heard 3rd hand at least.

My flatmate a few years ago got the same done to him by some local D4 young lads. Drove by in the parental units SUV, hit him 1cm above the eye, swelling was so bad he couldn't see out of it for a few weeks. Didn't catch the reg but had a rugger bugger accent as they shouted at him. Lucky it wasn't 1cm lower or he'd have suffered the same fate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Assault resulting in visible injuries is a criminal matter, not a civil matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

I spent an hour in my local station today having a Garda take my complaint about a road incident very seriously so I've got a more positive view of them at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Take it to another thread please. You're not adding anything of value here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Not quite a near miss, but...

Cycling with wife and son, stopped in the Advanced Stopping Zone. In Rathgar cross roads, for those who know it, having come from Terenure. The intention was to proceed thru the junction and take a right down Highfield Road. So we had to be in the right hand lane, taking the lane in the ASZ.

As we're waiting is noticed the Taxi behind, revving his engine. I turned around and gave him my sternest look.

As the lights go green, we move off. Before we've gone 10 metres, ie haven't yet reached the right turn 20 metres from the ASZ, this taxi driving d1ck starts beeping. A kid and a lady, me out front.

There was no oncoming traffic. So I kind of circled back, and let roar at him. I hate to think what I would have done to him had he stopped and argued the toss. He roared back.

As is so often the case, the professional driver is convinced he's in the right. Someone's in his way and he's going to bully them out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I will say that the bus driver was in the wrong and no excusing him there. I do have a genuine question about that cycle path though. What exactly is wrong with it? I haven't cycled on it before but I have driven alongside it many times and have looked at it on Google Maps. It looks pretty good to me! Is there a single bad spot or weird junction that I'm missing or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Regardless of people's opinions on that bike lane there was no other traffic in front or behind the bus in lane 1 stopping the driver moving out and back in safely to pass. He's purposely being a prick. Whatever about a car doing it, a bus isn't something you want to mess around with. Looks like traffic is also fairly light.

The bike lane has a lot of harsh bumps once you've dropped down from the slip plus it has a lot of debris as there's a high volume of trucks coming from Grange Castle getting onto the N4. It's also prone to being overgrown in places so half the lane is taken up by sharp bushes. Where the bridge is you have to come to a crawl to go around the sign post and then you have to stop and wait to cross at Woodies and again on the other side as it's a busy section. Add the odd pedestrian traveling in the same direction as you also. I've had to drop into the bus lane and back up on occasion, this particular stretch is bike only as far as I remember.

On that cycle path this piece of design is outstanding, a foot path merges, the cycle lane marking disappears, a busy bus stop/chicane, a merge back where you'll immediately be cut up by traffic turning left then the slip itself is segregated from the main line at that point which pushes traffic into the on road cycle lane. A cluster fcuk of design.

• Advertisement
Advertisement