Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Thread. No traffic, commuting, transport chat.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That is indeed the intention, but given the shambolic delivery of the so-called Baths, the pertinent question might be, which summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

I see that the co-living apartment block on Eblana Avenue is now renting out units, starting at an eye watering €1880 per month, which is apparently €800 more than what was originally intended.

Market conditions change.

Its no skin off the Council's nose particularly, as they aren't taking leases on any of them

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Widowmaker

I had my first stroll down to the "Baths" over the weekend.

Two things came to mind, firstly that ignoring the eye watering amount they cost, I think they are quite good and the promenade along there is certainly a massive improvement, even if there were several missed opportunities.. Is that meant to be a small events arena they have built? I hope so and that it doesn't just become somewhere for Anto and his bleedin mot to sit and drink all day.

secondly they aren't finished yet, so why have the builders all cleared up and disappeared? the car park needs to be joined back up and needs about four inches of mud removing from surface.

Good question.

The Council got an absolute roasting on Newstalk Lunch today. Several disabled people and disabled rights campaigners were on with the presenter drawing attention to the crazy sloped ramp, that was already raised last week. Apparently there was an emergency motion at a Council meeting about it last night, but I don't know the outcome.

In relation to the carpark though, it seems there is reasonable disabled access to the Baths site from the southern end, but, because of the carpark still being in shite and no disabled spaces being put in, there might as well not be.

Someone in the Council needs a proper slap for simply ignoring accessibility requirements. Saying that it'll be alright in 12 to 15 months more time, is not acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

It's gonna be September apparently. Timing is everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

You wouldn't want to rush these things, would you? You might get it wrong!

Yeah I've heard the whole square element is going to be sunk 400mm below grade, with just one massive step down, so that anyone in a wheelchair, pushchair, or just with dodgy knees and hips can stand around the rim and have a great view of people enjoying themselves.

I’m good with that, so long as they don’t do it on the cheap. Somewhere between the cost of the Lexicon and the baths seems about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The SBP reported recently that private renters who plan to move into the 91 new apartments in Newtown Avenue in Blackrock would have to pay rents between €2,600 & €4k + per month once completed.

I know that a place like Blackrock in Dublin is mostly supposed to be a place to live if you're a wealthy person. But that is a hell of an amount of money to pay for rent each month.

I would assume the rents being asked for the new apartments over Frascati SC would be equal or more expensive than what would be offered in Newtown Avenue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The Butter Yard apartment blocks in Newtownpark Avenue appear to have been finished about 2 weeks ago. Does anyone know when tenants are going to begin moving into them?

Are they build to rent?

In which case it is usually about 2 / 3 months after the builder moves off the site before occupants move in. The complex needs to snagged, painted, fitted out and the landscaping needs to be done.

Update: I passed there earlier and it seems like a lot of the work is already done, to the extent that blinds are up in many of the apartments. Could be sooner rather than later that the first occupants move in!

I believe some of the units will be social housing. These may be the first in.

I think that 10% of the development has to be social housing and it is the council that fits these out? So they might be the first in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Luxury social housing... thats just great.

I should not have bothered studying, or working my ass off.

Luxury? You're easily pleased.

Luxury is defined as an abundance of light and space. These apartments have neither and are on top of a busy road junction and petrol station.

Spot on 100%.

Does anybody know what is happening with the Stillorgan library? There hasn't been any activity on the site since the old library was demolished.

Well the whole location is very busy with the adjoining Bowl site development, which includes a bit of working space in what will be the Library and new Council apartments.

Last I heard is the Council's project is at post-tender stage with a view to being completed in Q1 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭CWMMC

Staying up in Dun Laoghaire in two weeks time, and I was just wondering is there much in the area to do? First time staying here so wouldn't have too much of an idea of what to expect or whats around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,881 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

By day or by night?

Have a drink from the Wetherspoons Forty Foot balcony to enjoy the view of Dublin Bay and Howth.

Take the DART to Bray for some nice scenery.

Or sightseeing boat trips

Dun Laoghaire is next to Sandycove, so talk a walk along the promenade to...

Take a dip in the sea at the Forty Foot bathing spot.

Martello Tower featured in James Joyce's Ulysses, which is now a museum.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭CWMMC

It will be both day and night but mainly things to do during the day or things to see whilst we are out walking. The boat trip sounds very interesting didn't realise there was a thing there. Thanks for that I'll probably try everything out that you have mentioned anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Don't go to wetherspoons, go to an independent locally owned pub. Haddington house has a better view and a better choice of drinks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Blut2

Depends on CWMMC's budget though. A double Hendricks G&T in Spoons will cost him 8euro for example, it'll cost him 22euro in Haddington House. Or 7euro for a pint in the Haddington House vs 1.95eur in Spoons. 300% the price for broadly the same drink with a very similar view is a big trade-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

If you like the stout hit O'Loughlin's or McKenna’s

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

McKenna s definitely the best pub in DL.

However, as much as I dislike Wetherspoons, the owner, the model, the clientele it attracts, they do have cask ale. The dungarvan pale ale must get drunk a bit because any time I’ve tried it the beer has been fresh and tasty- not always the case with a ‘spoons cask which may have been opened weeks ago and left to go stale.

Further to the above Spring into Heritage is beginning on the 10th, you can get free access to certain attractions in and around Dun Laoghaire, more below

https://events.dlrcoco.ie/event/spring-heritage-2023

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The Coastal Mobility Route is an amazing resource, allowing you to travel safely from Blackrock, to Dun Laoghaire, to Dalkey and back again, including everything in between. There are a few bike rental schemes around, and The Bike Hub will do a trishaw journey for older people and people with disabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I thought all of these are social housing?

Not seen any advertised on Daft or Myhome etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Yes very good advice.

A cycle/walk from DL down through Sandycove to Dalkey.

Dalkey is probably the most beautiful village in the country.

stunning cliffside houses everywhere.

If you get the weather, its as pretty as any place you care to pick.

walk along the coastline and around the village.

Sunday markets are good in DL itself also.

Advertisement